Setting pacing guidelines

crazi4law

Setting pacing guidelines

Postby crazi4law » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Hey everyone, I'd like to set some pacing guidelines for myself for all 3 sections to improve my timing.

I know that LR questions generally increase in difficulty as the section progresses. What about LG and RC? Are the 3rd and 4th games and passages generally harder than the first and second, or is it random?

Also, if you have set specific pacing guidelines for yourself, please share them!

crazi4law

Re: Setting pacing guidelines

Postby crazi4law » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:04 pm

bump :D

crazi4law

Postby crazi4law » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:52 am

bump!!

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:15 am

LR: Another user (I can't find his or her name to give proper credit, unfortunately) suggested something that I found useful on LR sections: Do the section backwards, starting from the last page.

I have minor issues with pacing in that section, with anywhere from 1 to 3 questions I need to skip or guess on. Given that in general, easier questions are earlier in the section while harder questions are in the middle or towards the end, I'm able to tackle the more difficult ones when my mind is at it's peak, and once I get to the middle of the section, the easy questions seem to fall pretty quickly. I'm still testing this out, as I've only used it on 3 LR sections thus far.

RC: NoodleyOne had once mentioned that he would sometimes save the comparative reading passage for last, since the longer passages take more time. I tried this tip out earlier today and did find that I finished that passage within only a few minutes, so ended the section with three minutes to spare (this was PT 60, though, and I consider this one of the easiest RC passages).

LG: I think the general consensus here is that you should really be aiming to complete each question set within 8 minutes.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:21 am

crazi4law wrote:Hey everyone, I'd like to set some pacing guidelines for myself for all 3 sections to improve my timing.

I know that LR questions generally increase in difficulty as the section progresses. What about LG and RC? Are the 3rd and 4th games and passages generally harder than the first and second, or is it random?

Also, if you have set specific pacing guidelines for yourself, please share them!

LG and RC are random in the order of difficulty, but LG tends to have one easy game, one difficult game, and two in between in terms of difficulty. Practice LG until you aren't spending more than 8 minutes on a single game. Obviously, you should account for less time on the easy one and save more time for the difficult one, but you will get the hang of that as you continue practicing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”