Implementing LR strategy while under timed condition

Lear22

Implementing LR strategy while under timed condition

Postby Lear22 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:52 pm

Hey all,

thanks for all your advice thus far. It's been very helpful.

I am prepping for Oct and find that the hardest thing for me to do is to use the LR strategies I know (from the LR bible for example) when I take PTs and times sections. It seems that when I am under time, I go back to reading the stimuli and reacting to it without looking for for clues or concrete methods of reasoning. On the other hand, when I am drilling Q's and am not under time, I do and most usually get it right, without it having to take much longer than the avg time to answer the LR when I am under time. I hope my thinking is coming through/makes sense.

Do any of you have some advice on how to deal with this?

thanks!

Mik Ekim

Re: Implementing LR strategy while under timed condition

Postby Mik Ekim » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:03 pm

i think this is pretty much a universal issue -- when we are drilling or just practicing, we are much more deliberate and focused on how we solve questions -- when we take timed tests, we just solve questions (as we should) but that means we play less deliberate attention to process, and, specifically, that means that we end up not naturally thinking about the right things at the right times --

here's one suggestion: for each of the primary question types, write down, on a small notecard, the step by step process that you should go through for that type of question (just a few steps for each question type). My card for an inference question might be something like this: don't look for argument / notice any links if they exist / eliminate wrong choices that aren't justifiable (some marking to show this is THE key step for this question) / justify right answer.

Lay these cards out as you take a practice section or two. For each question, make a conscious effort to look at the corresponding card and read through it -- know and expect that these sections won't be test-accurate and will likely take you longer than normal. For a lot of people, this works like a "defragmenter" for the crazy mass of LR info they've been learning and practicing. After just a couple of sections, you should see that you are better able to quickly jump into the right mindset for each new question you face. HTH

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:11 pm

thanks! I'll try it. Would you recommend going through Q types as the LRB lists them? I think that in every chapter they have a 'final note' that can be used for this, would you agree?

If anyone else has more to say about this I'll greattly app it!

Also - What I am doing as well is after finishing a timed section of PT I go through every LR questions (wrong and right) and write on sentence on why what I picked was wrong or right. If I was wrong, I write anothe sentence for the correct answer choice. I found that it helps me get a deeper understanding on the Q and the Q type.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:24 pm

Manhattan gave me this cool tip that has proven to be helpful so far... when you're answering the questions don't look for the right answer. Go through two phases, one where you eliminate all the obviously wrong answers and the second where you choose the correct answer out of 2 choices.

Sounds obvious but I used to do both -- eliminate wrong answers while looking for the right answer -- and found myself relying more on intuition than "strategy." Now I mechanistically eliminate obviously wrong answers and then debate between two options with the "strategy" in mind.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:49 pm

That's actually pretty interesting. At first my response to this was 'duh we all do it'but after reflecting I think you're right. Ill def give it a try!

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:45 am

I never read the MLR book, but definitely found eliminating wrong answer choices to be extremely effective on this section AND reading comprehension. Things will usually be out of scope, too narrow, or unprovable inferences, in which in all of these cases, after some practice, you will be able to eliminate with more certainty. Unfortunately, then comes choosing between two very, very attractive answer choices. :roll:

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:28 am

In most cases I am left with two answers to choose from, but I have yet to try to do it in a two step process. It seems like a good way to get back into strategy and look for patterns. Tht is what I feel I am missing the most when doing timed sections.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:51 am

Exactly, the two-phase process actually begins with me eliminating what's obviously wrong and then looking at the left over contenders and AGAIN looking at what's wrong. Granted, this has always been my test taking style. I find it much easier to identify why an answer choice is wrong rather than justify why an answer choice is right... by relying on a two-phase process I rely on my strengths (identifying what's wrong) rather than my weakness (identifying what's right / relying on my gut).

Relying on my gut is my weakness, yeah, f me.

EDIT: if you're pressed for time you can employ this strategy after question 10 (or 15)... I usually zoom through 1 - 15 and then begin to really focus on the later questions.

EDIT2: I read this on some other thread -- I'm going to try this strategy sometime later this week -- I'm going to start the text at number 10 and work my way towards the end. That way when I'm pressed for time towards the end of the section I'm zooming through questions 1 through 10 that shouldn't take me longer than a minute each anyways.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 pm

Update:

I created the flash cards and used them doing an untimed LR section. In addition, I also implemented the 2 part strategy of first eliminating the obvious wrong choices and then choosing between the two.
What I found out is that although I didn't improve (too much) while doing is particular section, I realized that other than in 1 question, ALL on my wrong and right choices were part of the two choices I was left it (which is nice but also so annoying to know you were so close to getting the question right).

What I would like to get your advice on is how do I go from here to make sure that out of my two contenders I choose the right one? I am also implementing the approach of writing down a sentence of why an answer choice was wrong and why it was right.

Thanks!!

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:19 pm

You need to identify why the wrong answer was really the wrong answer. Write them all out in a single sentence (as you are) and see if you can detect a pattern of sorts.

My problem is that I usually end up choosing an Answer Choice ("AC") that is just marginally out of scope. And since I am consequently paranoid about Out of Scope AC's I end up ignoring ACs that are -- in fact -- correct even if it is worded in a convoluted way.

In any case it's a good thing that you're stuck between two ACs. I suggest to keep on drilling; memorize what makes an AC wrong and then attack each AC. Pretend that you're the author of the question trying to troll some hapless LSAT taker. If the LSAT taker were to come back at you and argue with you what would you use to justify a particular AC for being wrong? This is usually my mentality but I try not to *think* too hard because then I'd have a whole list of reasons why both AC questions are wrong. Hahaha

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks!! This is very helpful. I did another section with the cards untimed and got a lot better than the first time. So something works :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”