Fastest way to diagram LG questions?

crazi4law

Fastest way to diagram LG questions?

Postby crazi4law » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:38 am

I learned on Powerscore that for every LG game I should draw one main diagram and then a mini diagram for each individual question. I find it a bit time consuming to draw out a new diagram with all the NotLaws for most questions. Is there a faster and more effective way of diagramming? If so, could you please link me to an explanation of the method?

I thought about drawing the main diagram in pen and then drawing on it using pencil for every question so that I can erase it after I'm done...

Many thanks!

Ixiion

Re: Fastest way to diagram LG questions?

Postby Ixiion » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:45 am

crazi4law wrote:I learned on Powerscore that for every LG game I should draw one main diagram and then a mini diagram for each individual question. I find it a bit time consuming to draw out a new diagram with all the NotLaws for most questions. Is there a faster and more effective way of diagramming? If so, could you please link me to an explanation of the method?

I thought about drawing the main diagram in pen and then drawing on it using pencil for every question so that I can erase it after I'm done...

Many thanks!

Firstly, I wouldn't advise using pen. You can't bring pens to the test, so getting used to a method that you aren't even allowed to do on the real thing is probably not the best idea.

Secondly, Manhattan LSAT LG is amazing, take a look at it.

And, thirdly, you don't have to draw out the NotLaws for every single mini diagram. That's why you don't mark the first diagram, and that's why PowerScore suggests putting the mini diagrams next to the main one, because you're supposed to use it as your main reference point. You should be able to draw out mini diagrams when you need to without re-writing the laws, just reference back to the main diagram.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:03 am

Ixiion wrote:
crazi4law wrote:I learned on Powerscore that for every LG game I should draw one main diagram and then a mini diagram for each individual question. I find it a bit time consuming to draw out a new diagram with all the NotLaws for most questions. Is there a faster and more effective way of diagramming? If so, could you please link me to an explanation of the method?

Many thanks!

Firstly, I wouldn't advise using pen. You can't bring pens to the test, so getting used to a method that you aren't even allowed to do on the real thing is probably not the best idea.

Secondly, Manhattan LSAT LG is amazing, take a look at it.

And, thirdly, you don't have to draw out the NotLaws for every single mini diagram. That's why you don't mark the first diagram, and that's why PowerScore suggests putting the mini diagrams next to the main one, because you're supposed to use it as your main reference point. You should be able to draw out mini diagrams when you need to without re-writing the laws, just reference back to the main diagram.

+1. In addition, I would recommend drawing out multiple frames if the rules make it suitable to do so. If there's a rule or combination of rules that allow you to make deductions that limit the number of plausible scenarios then I would draw out the frames in case a question picks up on the rule(s).

shntn

Postby shntn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:56 pm

Many thanks!

I draw one table (usually, depending on the game type) with lots of rows that I then go down and fill in as needed. Like in the below (very rough) example, that would be my game setup for a 1-6 linear ordering game with the rules:

- A must come before B
- B must come immediately before or immediately after after C
- D = 1
- E must not be immediately before or after F (or "there must be at least one space between E and F", etc.)

As you can see, I try to combine rules if possible and incorporate them into my original diagram so that I can save myself the time later. Knowing that A can occupy only one of two spots would save a lot of time for eliminating answer choices.

--ImageRemoved--

As a caveat, I did self-study, so I don't know what they teach in courses or what all the appropriate terminology is. My apologies if I don't make any sense. :?

One other thing: with the new two-page LG layout (assuming they keep it from the June 2012 LSAT), there is very little risk of running out of room, so use as many rows as you need. Obviously this doesn't work for some games (seating around a table, etc.), but it does work for linear, grouping, etc. Or it did for me, at least.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”