Should I bother with October.

fratstar
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Should I bother with October.

Postby fratstar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:49 pm

So I did my first preptest today after about 4 weeks of prep going over the basic questions types and what not and I got a 154, which I'm not actually feeling that bad about. Obviously I'm not going to reach my potential by the October test date but I was wondering if I should take it for shits and giggles and treat it as a practice while continuing to study for the December sitting, or should I not even bother and just take the October test by my lonesome once LSAC releases it?

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Should I bother with October.

Postby cahwc12 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:03 pm

don't take the test if you aren't confident (or at least optimistic) that you'll achieve your target score.

User avatar
Funkycrime
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Re: Should I bother with October.

Postby Funkycrime » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Depends on what your goal is. If it's around 170, I would sit it out.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Should I bother with October.

Postby Jeffort » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:26 pm

fratstar wrote:So I did my first preptest today after about 4 weeks of prep going over the basic questions types and what not and I got a 154, which I'm not actually feeling that bad about. Obviously I'm not going to reach my potential by the October test date but I was wondering if I should take it for shits and giggles and treat it as a practice while continuing to study for the December sitting, or should I not even bother and just take the October test by my lonesome once LSAC releases it?


The test is six weeks away, so it's premature to contemplate and especially to decide to throw in the towel now. A lot can happen in six weeks with good disciplined study, practice and review.

Since you've only been prepping for and learning the basics of the LSAT for four weeks, it's too early to guesstimate your likely test day score range and use that as a basis for deciding now whether to postpone or keep heading forward full steam ahead.

You have three weeks until the deadline to cancel your registration to take the test for a partial refund or to pay a less than the registration fee to re-schedule/push back your test date.
http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/us-oct-2012-dates.asp

Given how little time you've been prepping, how much time you currently have until test day and before the deadlines to re-schedule or get a partial refund or just withdraw without a refund/forfeit the registration fee (midnight before test day morning for this option), it sounds a little bit like right now you just don't want to spend the time and put in serious prep work for the next six weeks to be adequately prepared come test day. Six weeks is a lifetime to study and improve if you use it properly.

You didn't mention your starting score or goal score range, GPA or target law schools. That info is important when deciding whether to take or not take a particular LSAT administration. 154 range is not going to get you into a tier one law school, but then again, you could be a 164-170+ six weeks from now if you work hard to get it.

You know that if you decide to postpone now, you are likely to slack off on and postpone seriously prepping for the test too. I say keep going forward, study, practice and review a lot, then re-evaluate in three weeks just before the LSAC deadlines to get a refund or re-schedule your test day. If you do decide to postpone until December or later, make good use of the additional prep time. More time prepping = better chances of achieving a higher score as long as you don't burn yourself out leading up to test day.

Also, if you are planning on applying this cycle for fall 2013 admission/starting law school, it's much better to take in October so that you can submit your applications for review earlier in the cycle, which improves your admission chances as long as your application materials are solid. It also leaves the December test available as a re-take option if you don't pull off a good enough score on the October test.

fratstar
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: Should I bother with October.

Postby fratstar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:35 pm

My gpa is a 3.4 from my state flagship (doubt it matters) I'm shooting for Cornell or g-town but I'd settle for gw or notre dame with a little money. I guess I'll keep at it for October and continue studying afterwards for the December exam. Thanks for the advice !

soflanetworking
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:22 pm

Re: Should I bother with October.

Postby soflanetworking » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:19 pm

fratstar wrote:My gpa is a 3.4 from my state flagship (doubt it matters) I'm shooting for Cornell or g-town but I'd settle for gw or notre dame with a little money. I guess I'll keep at it for October and continue studying afterwards for the December exam. Thanks for the advice !


Good Luck




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”