feeling frustrated with LR

glitterfyme

feeling frustrated with LR

Postby glitterfyme » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:12 pm

i've been studying for the lsat around 2.5 months now, an I am currently scoring in the high 160's range.
i've taken about ~30 practice tests, but i am still averaging -4/-5 wrong PER LR section! :|

I would really like to get it down to about -1/-2 by october....any advice? suggestions?

glitterfyme

Re: feeling frustrated with LR

Postby glitterfyme » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:31 pm

yep...logic games and reading comp are all fine...just LR!

im usually having trouble with necessary assumptions, strengthen/weaken, and some MSS questions.
drill each one? or other tips?

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Wormfather wrote:
glitterfyme wrote:yep...logic games and reading comp are all fine...just LR!

im usually having trouble with necessary assumptions, strengthen/weaken, and some MSS questions.

Then you're probably getting trapped by answers that make sense and are logically correct on their own, but not relevant to the stimulus.

Every stimulus has a problem, know that problem before even looking at the choices. Sometimes you won't be able to pinpoint it, if that happens ask your self a few questions.

Does this answer choice give me info that might be true but irrelevant to the task at hand?

Is the scope of this answe choice too big or small? Did the stimulus talk about some/many/most while this choice mentions none or all?

For weaken, does this choice make the conclusion illogical? For strengthen, if I negated this answer choice would it make the conclusion illogical?

Wait, so are you advocating the negation technique for strengthening questions?

chadbrochill

Postby chadbrochill » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:41 am

nmop_apisdn wrote:
Wormfather wrote:
glitterfyme wrote:yep...logic games and reading comp are all fine...just LR!

Then you're probably getting trapped by answers that make sense and are logically correct on their own, but not relevant to the stimulus.

Every stimulus has a problem, know that problem before even looking at the choices. Sometimes you won't be able to pinpoint it, if that happens ask your self a few questions.

Does this answer choice give me info that might be true but irrelevant to the task at hand?

Is the scope of this answe choice too big or small? Did the stimulus talk about some/many/most while this choice mentions none or all?

For weaken, does this choice make the conclusion illogical? For strengthen, if I negated this answer choice would it make the conclusion illogical?

Wait, so are you advocating the negation technique for strengthening questions?

is negation bad to do on strengthen questions?

I've started to come to this conclusion myself but if you're already there please aware me, strengthen + strengthen EXCEPT tend to be hard for me.

I still lean towards using negation to test that my final answer is relevant to conclusion :oops:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”