I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby M.M. » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Cliff notes ...

Chronological info:
- Took Princeton Review course in the spring
- Didn't work much on LSAT for a while afterwards
- Used to be terrible at LG, great at LR, OK at RC, and good at LR usually going ~-8 LG, ~-3 RC, and ~-2 on both LR sections
- Once I got back into studying I did LG for a while, got better at it
- After doing LG for a while, took a PT, found that I got terrible at LR (-5 and -6)
- Practiced LR for a few days, just took another test, got -5 and -3 on LR, -8 on games, -6 on RC (worst I've ever done on RC)
- Used to score ~164 - 165
- Just got a 161


Additional info:

- Thinking of spending another $1000 on a Powerscore LiveOnline course
- Feel like I could've got to my goal of 170 after taking the Princeton Review course had I done all the homework, worked on games more while I was doing it, and done more PTs (I had done ~3 when I was scoring 165)
- Don't want to be a drama queen but I'm seriously freaking out at this point
- Was also considering maybe getting Powerscore's two advanced courses for logic games and LR, but I'm not sure if I would like it as much as having a live course
- Am worried that if I get the Powerscore course it'll be reviewing material I've already used and I won't get much out of it
- If I don't sit for October, I won't be able to apply ED to my target school
- Am also torn between just trying to pump through it till October, taking ~20 or so PTs, or saving them for after I take the powerscore course, if I do that.


As always, thanks TLS, I couldn't have made it this far without you. Right now I feel like my dreams are slipping away, I put in a LOT of studying and I am just getting worse.



Edit: I've tried identifying things that could be making me screw up (E.G. excuses), and here's what I came up with:

- I am used to studying for school and the LSAT 8PM-12. Given how near the October test is I started studying 8AM-12. The change in schedule could be messing me up.
- along with my study schedule change came a sleep change, resulting in not only a different schedule but (possibly) a lack of sleep... I used to sleep ~1 AM-9, about 7.5 hours sleep, now I sleep 11PM-6, 7 hours sleep.
- I get up and work out in the morning before studying, and work out hard. I don't feel tired but maybe I could be. I also take a pre workout energy supplement that could be affecting me.
- I'm a philosophy major, and have been out of school... Sonmaybe this is affecting my endurance, as well as general reading and reasoning skills.
- lastly, I could, I guess just be getting burnt out.

What are your thoughts on the possible factors above? I'm going to try taking a PT in the afternoon to see if the change in schedule could be affecting me. Should I just systematically go through these factors and remove them and see if they affect me ?
Last edited by M.M. on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Have you been doing a lot of studying in the past few weeks? If so, take a full day or two off and don't think about the LSAT. Coming back to the material fresh can make a difference.

Also, when you start back up, keep your focus on individual sections. Work on LR. Then move to LG or RC, etc. Make sure you're reviewing the hell out of everything. (It helps when games gets to a point to where it's fun, like a crossword puzzle or Sudoku--then you can be drilling LR and take a break by doing an individual game as fast as possible, then go back to drilling LR.)

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:50 pm

I agree with Richie that you should focus on individual sections. Lay off PTs for a bit to strengthen your fundamentals. It will be worth it.

For cleaning up LG—if you're still getting up to -8 on the games, I strongly recommend reading through the Manhattan LSAT LG Strategy Guide over the course of 3 or so days. Using your past tests, identify the games you are breezing through versus the games that are dragging you down and confusing you. Reevaluate your diagramming strategies for those game types that give you trouble.

Do every game of those types from tests 19 - 38. Redo them all (with at least ~48-72 hours in between) until the patterns are truly clicking. It was not uncommon for me to do a game so many times that I eventually lose count. It absolutely helps, and right now looks like the best way to tighten up your overall score.

This alone will boost you 3-6 points, it looks like.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby M.M. » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Have you been doing a lot of studying in the past few weeks? If so, take a full day or two off and don't think about the LSAT. Coming back to the material fresh can make a difference.

Also, when you start back up, keep your focus on individual sections. Work on LR. Then move to LG or RC, etc. Make sure you're reviewing the hell out of everything. (It helps when games gets to a point to where it's fun, like a crossword puzzle or Sudoku--then you can be drilling LR and take a break by doing an individual game as fast as possible, then go back to drilling LR.)


Well, I hadn't Been studying much more than most here would, I'd say ~3 hours a night, until I took my last PT and got a dismal 162. That motivated me, and I started studying 3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours at night for a week or so. When you say focus on individual sections, do you mean timed sections, or just sections as in LG, RC, LR?

drh_104
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby drh_104 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:47 pm

I dont think taking a power score course will be worth it - even the advanced ones. I feel like if you've been scoring 165+ you have mastered 'the basics', and need to focus on your own personal weak spots. You can do this on your own with the LG and LR Bibles for a fraction of the cost (and I'm told its the same material they use in the course anyway). With still like 7 weeks to go, I think if you buckle down you'll have time to get through both bibles before October.

I also agree that doing timed sections is better than full PTs with less room for burnout.

Also, for what its worth, my PTs averaged 167 in June and then the week of the test they plummeted to 160. June score was 167...so it wa just nerves. The best thing you can do- calm down!

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby M.M. » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:57 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:I agree with Richie that you should focus on individual sections. Lay off PTs for a bit to strengthen your fundamentals. It will be worth it.

For cleaning up LG—if you're still getting up to -8 on the games, I strongly recommend reading through the Manhattan LSAT LG Strategy Guide over the course of 3 or so days. Using your past tests, identify the games you are breezing through versus the games that are dragging you down and confusing you. Reevaluate your diagramming strategies for those game types that give you trouble.

Do every game of those types from tests 19 - 38. Redo them all (with at least ~48-72 hours in between) until the patterns are truly clicking. It was not uncommon for me to do a game so many times that I eventually lose count. It absolutely helps, and right now looks like the best way to tighten up your overall score.

This alone will boost you 3-6 points, it looks like.


Thanks, a couple questions here:
Will manhattans guide be supplemental to Powerscore's strategy? Having switched from Princeton's to Powerscore's, I'd prefer not adopting a new system again but will if it is necessary. Also, is there a particular reason I should redo the games in ~3 days?

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:39 pm

You don't want the games to be too fresh when you take them.

Also: Manhattan LR Guide is excellent and compliments Powerscore well. I think each have their strengths (honestly, the PSB kicks ass on formal logic, but Manhattan is super great for Assumption type questions). Honestly, if you're gunning for a top score, Manhattan is THE way to go. Also their explanations of their drilling sections in the books are thorough and in my opinion far superior to Powerscores.

<---- Unofficial Manhattan LSAT Logical Reasoning Strategy Guide Salesperson

User avatar
Ixiion
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby Ixiion » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:33 pm

M.M. wrote:Thanks, a couple questions here:
Will manhattans guide be supplemental to Powerscore's strategy? Having switched from Princeton's to Powerscore's, I'd prefer not adopting a new system again but will if it is necessary. Also, is there a particular reason I should redo the games in ~3 days?


Honestly, I bought Manhattan LR & RC and figured why not get the LG too? I have PowerScore's too. I didn't think I needed it, since I'm getting -0 or -1 on LG... but I can't stress how much it's helped so far. I'm only half-way through the book right now (just got it this morning), and I'm already seeing a huge improvement in my ability to get through games quicker and with less mistakes/confusion.

So, yes. It's well worth it. Definitely get it. And don't worry, it's not an entirely new system - it's actually very similar to PowerScore's but a 2.0 version with a few additions that make it all the more easier once you've got the hang of it.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:19 pm

M.M. wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:I agree with Richie that you should focus on individual sections. Lay off PTs for a bit to strengthen your fundamentals. It will be worth it.

For cleaning up LG—if you're still getting up to -8 on the games, I strongly recommend reading through the Manhattan LSAT LG Strategy Guide over the course of 3 or so days. Using your past tests, identify the games you are breezing through versus the games that are dragging you down and confusing you. Reevaluate your diagramming strategies for those game types that give you trouble.

Do every game of those types from tests 19 - 38. Redo them all (with at least ~48-72 hours in between) until the patterns are truly clicking. It was not uncommon for me to do a game so many times that I eventually lose count. It absolutely helps, and right now looks like the best way to tighten up your overall score.

This alone will boost you 3-6 points, it looks like.


Thanks, a couple questions here:
Will manhattans guide be supplemental to Powerscore's strategy? Having switched from Princeton's to Powerscore's, I'd prefer not adopting a new system again but will if it is necessary. Also, is there a particular reason I should redo the games in ~3 days?


As others have said, you won't be fighting against the things you learned in the Powerscore book. I found that MLSAT filled in many of the LGB's weak areas — assignment and binary grouping games were always very difficult for me to wrap my head around, and the MLSAT setup blows them wide open. I was skeptical at first, but it really puts your LG skills into hyperdrive.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby M.M. » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:10 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
M.M. wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:I agree with Richie that you should focus on individual sections. Lay off PTs for a bit to strengthen your fundamentals. It will be worth it.

For cleaning up LG—if you're still getting up to -8 on the games, I strongly recommend reading through the Manhattan LSAT LG Strategy Guide over the course of 3 or so days. Using your past tests, identify the games you are breezing through versus the games that are dragging you down and confusing you. Reevaluate your diagramming strategies for those game types that give you trouble.

Do every game of those types from tests 19 - 38. Redo them all (with at least ~48-72 hours in between) until the patterns are truly clicking. It was not uncommon for me to do a game so many times that I eventually lose count. It absolutely helps, and right now looks like the best way to tighten up your overall score.

This alone will boost you 3-6 points, it looks like.


Thanks, a couple questions here:
Will manhattans guide be supplemental to Powerscore's strategy? Having switched from Princeton's to Powerscore's, I'd prefer not adopting a new system again but will if it is necessary. Also, is there a particular reason I should redo the games in ~3 days?


As others have said, you won't be fighting against the things you learned in the Powerscore book. I found that MLSAT filled in many of the LGB's weak areas — assignment and binary grouping games were always very difficult for me to wrap my head around, and the MLSAT setup blows them wide open. I was skeptical at first, but it really puts your LG skills into hyperdrive.



Thanks to you too, and I also want to ask you if you think a Manhattan course would benefit me if I end up not getting my score? I feel like there's something intangible about courses that help me ... e.g. having a real person explain it to me, having someone there when I make a mistake that books can't really do for me.

Ixiion wrote:
M.M. wrote:Thanks, a couple questions here:
Will manhattans guide be supplemental to Powerscore's strategy? Having switched from Princeton's to Powerscore's, I'd prefer not adopting a new system again but will if it is necessary. Also, is there a particular reason I should redo the games in ~3 days?


Honestly, I bought Manhattan LR & RC and figured why not get the LG too? I have PowerScore's too. I didn't think I needed it, since I'm getting -0 or -1 on LG... but I can't stress how much it's helped so far. I'm only half-way through the book right now (just got it this morning), and I'm already seeing a huge improvement in my ability to get through games quicker and with less mistakes/confusion.

So, yes. It's well worth it. Definitely get it. And don't worry, it's not an entirely new system - it's actually very similar to PowerScore's but a 2.0 version with a few additions that make it all the more easier once you've got the hang of it.


You've bought the Manhattan RC... tell me, does it help? Like I said I wasn't incredibly diligent with Princeton Review's course, but honestly it didn't seem to help that much in RC.

Sounds like I'm gonna get it ... thanks. Does it help with being able to "plug and chug?" I find that is my weakest part on games ... sometimes I just sit and look at the paper confused. Also, what would you think about taking a Manhattan course if I don't achieve my 170 this October ??

NoodleyOne wrote:You don't want the games to be too fresh when you take them.

Also: Manhattan LR Guide is excellent and compliments Powerscore well. I think each have their strengths (honestly, the PSB kicks ass on formal logic, but Manhattan is super great for Assumption type questions). Honestly, if you're gunning for a top score, Manhattan is THE way to go. Also their explanations of their drilling sections in the books are thorough and in my opinion far superior to Powerscores.

<---- Unofficial Manhattan LSAT Logical Reasoning Strategy Guide Salesperson


@ The bolded, does this mean you should practice 100s and 100s of games?

And you guys are selling me on Manhattan, because while I used to do ok on them, assumption questions are KICKING MY ASS. I don't know what happened but I used to be able to just "see" the assumption ... now it just doesn't show up for me.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Assumption questions a problem?

Manhattan is your solution.



As far as how many games I've done? Shit, I don't know. Drilled a ton from 10-20 and 29-42, as well as a lot in the 50s. I haven't gone over very many multiple times (only games I've had issues on). I personally don't follow pithypike's guide, but it stands to reason that you would want some time between retaking something to let your short term memory kind of clear out.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:38 am

M.M. -

I have the same problem with assumption in LR. Working through Manhattan LR right now, will let you know how it goes.

Yes, if you count every instance of a logic game, I have done hundreds and hundreds. On the last 5 PTs I have finished with 5+ minutes to spare with -0 to -2, though. Some people really need to drill that much in order to approach perfection on the section (I am one of them).

Can't advise on a Manhattan course as I've only done self-study.

User avatar
Ixiion
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby Ixiion » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:49 am

M.M. wrote:You've bought the Manhattan RC... tell me, does it help? Like I said I wasn't incredibly diligent with Princeton Review's course, but honestly it didn't seem to help that much in RC.

Sounds like I'm gonna get it ... thanks. Does it help with being able to "plug and chug?" I find that is my weakest part on games ... sometimes I just sit and look at the paper confused. Also, what would you think about taking a Manhattan course if I don't achieve my 170 this October ??


I just started reading the RC one, so sadly I don't have an answer to that question. I really hope it does, because RC is my weakest area. (Go figure. I aced the SAT2 in Lit, but RC is killing me. I don't understand how that happened.) All I can say is many people here have said it has helped, at least a bit. I think what I'm going to do is start reading the science section of the newspaper every day - since focusing on passages about science seems to be my worst area - and use the RC book to help me treat the article as an LSAT passage.

Yeah, it definitely helps with that. Moreso, it helps your ability to do it by inference, so you don't even need to plug and chug much at all. I've found that out of, say, 7 questions, I've only needed to "plug & chug" one, at most two, of them now. Whereas before M-LG I took forever doing trial-and-error. In other words, the book starts out by giving you 7-8.5 minutes to do a game. I started out by going OVER the time limit on the first few. Half-way through, I've now completed several of their test games in 5minutes or under.

Honestly, I don't know. I've never taken one of their classes so I can't tell you if it's worth it or not. But if I don't score over 172 on October or if I don't feel ready to take the test, I'll probably hire a tutor from Manhattan. I've heard good things about them.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby M.M. » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:04 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Assumption questions a problem?

Manhattan is your solution.



As far as how many games I've done? Shit, I don't know. Drilled a ton from 10-20 and 29-42, as well as a lot in the 50s. I haven't gone over very many multiple times (only games I've had issues on). I personally don't follow pithypike's guide, but it stands to reason that you would want some time between retaking something to let your short term memory kind of clear out.


See, I agree with the last sentence of this... Many people say to do a logic game and if you haven't mastered it, to do it again within 24-48 hours... But it seems to me you Shouldnt be relying on memory in working games. (Of course though, I've learned not to trust my opinion when it comes to games...)

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby M.M. » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:10 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:M.M. -

I have the same problem with assumption in LR. Working through Manhattan LR right now, will let you know how it goes.

Yes, if you count every instance of a logic game, I have done hundreds and hundreds. On the last 5 PTs I have finished with 5+ minutes to spare with -0 to -2, though. Some people really need to drill that much in order to approach perfection on the section (I am one of them).

Can't advise on a Manhattan course as I've only done self-study.



Did you start out somewhat proficient in LG? Because as I said I started out horrible. But I've drilled maybe 150 games (just judging by eyeing my stack of them sitting on my desk + the ones I did for my Princeton review course, so this is encouraging. Thanks for the help... Looks like I'm going to be spending a few hundred on more LSAT books soon lol :|

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby M.M. » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Ixiion wrote:
M.M. wrote:You've bought the Manhattan RC... tell me, does it help? Like I said I wasn't incredibly diligent with Princeton Review's course, but honestly it didn't seem to help that much in RC.

Sounds like I'm gonna get it ... thanks. Does it help with being able to "plug and chug?" I find that is my weakest part on games ... sometimes I just sit and look at the paper confused. Also, what would you think about taking a Manhattan course if I don't achieve my 170 this October ??


I just started reading the RC one, so sadly I don't have an answer to that question. I really hope it does, because RC is my weakest area. (Go figure. I aced the SAT2 in Lit, but RC is killing me. I don't understand how that happened.) All I can say is many people here have said it has helped, at least a bit. I think what I'm going to do is start reading the science section of the newspaper every day - since focusing on passages about science seems to be my worst area - and use the RC book to help me treat the article as an LSAT passage.

Yeah, it definitely helps with that. Moreso, it helps your ability to do it by inference, so you don't even need to plug and chug much at all. I've found that out of, say, 7 questions, I've only needed to "plug & chug" one, at most two, of them now. Whereas before M-LG I took forever doing trial-and-error. In other words, the book starts out by giving you 7-8.5 minutes to do a game. I started out by going OVER the time limit on the first few. Half-way through, I've now completed several of their test games in 5minutes or under.

Honestly, I don't know. I've never taken one of their classes so I can't tell you if it's worth it or not. But if I don't score over 172 on October or if I don't feel ready to take the test, I'll probably hire a tutor from Manhattan. I've heard good things about them.



See, I've considered getting tutors as well but I don't live in a "major city" and so I'd have to do it online. And paying 100+ an hour for online help seems ridiculous (especially when I imagine sometimes I'd be paying per minute to work drills and not for every minute I'd be getting instructed (wasn't exactly sure how to phrase that sentence...)


Looks like I'm gonna buy the MLSAT books... All advice is still welcome

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:54 pm

M.M. wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:M.M. -

I have the same problem with assumption in LR. Working through Manhattan LR right now, will let you know how it goes.

Yes, if you count every instance of a logic game, I have done hundreds and hundreds. On the last 5 PTs I have finished with 5+ minutes to spare with -0 to -2, though. Some people really need to drill that much in order to approach perfection on the section (I am one of them).

Can't advise on a Manhattan course as I've only done self-study.



Did you start out somewhat proficient in LG? Because as I said I started out horrible. But I've drilled maybe 150 games (just judging by eyeing my stack of them sitting on my desk + the ones I did for my Princeton review course, so this is encouraging. Thanks for the help... Looks like I'm going to be spending a few hundred on more LSAT books soon lol :|


I was terrible—consistently bombing an entire game, running out of time, etc. Everyone can learn up to -0, you only need the right tools. MLSAT will help immensely.

Many times if I had trouble with a game, I will immediately redo it in order to perfect the setup and spot what inferences I should have made but didn't. I then redo the game after ~3 days. I think facing your mistakes is essential lest you try it the same way when you redo.

User avatar
Ixiion
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby Ixiion » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:57 pm

M.M. wrote:See, I've considered getting tutors as well but I don't live in a "major city" and so I'd have to do it online. And paying 100+ an hour for online help seems ridiculous (especially when I imagine sometimes I'd be paying per minute to work drills and not for every minute I'd be getting instructed (wasn't exactly sure how to phrase that sentence...)


Looks like I'm gonna buy the MLSAT books... All advice is still welcome


Oh. Crap, lol. I hadn't thought of that. I live on Long Island, outside of NYC, so technically not in a major city either. Darn. Well, if you live close to one, like I do, maybe you could schedule the tutoring sessions to be at a public library in that major city. If not - I agree, online private tutoring seems like a waste of money. I'm someone who can't use e-books or e-textbooks, I like paper. Can't study off of a screen. And, in that same regard, I like my teachers to be in front of me, lol. If you're going to do it online, might as well just do an online course instead which is cheaper.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby M.M. » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:37 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
M.M. wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:M.M. -

I have the same problem with assumption in LR. Working through Manhattan LR right now, will let you know how it goes.

Yes, if you count every instance of a logic game, I have done hundreds and hundreds. On the last 5 PTs I have finished with 5+ minutes to spare with -0 to -2, though. Some people really need to drill that much in order to approach perfection on the section (I am one of them).

Can't advise on a Manhattan course as I've only done self-study.



Did you start out somewhat proficient in LG? Because as I said I started out horrible. But I've drilled maybe 150 games (just judging by eyeing my stack of them sitting on my desk + the ones I did for my Princeton review course, so this is encouraging. Thanks for the help... Looks like I'm going to be spending a few hundred on more LSAT books soon lol :|


I was terrible—consistently bombing an entire game, running out of time, etc. Everyone can learn up to -0, you only need the right tools. MLSAT will help immensely.

Many times if I had trouble with a game, I will immediately redo it in order to perfect the setup and spot what inferences I should have made but didn't. I then redo the game after ~3 days. I think facing your mistakes is essential lest you try it the same way when you redo.


I'll definitely keep plugging away at games, and get the MLSAT materials then.

@ Ixion, agreed on ALL accounts. Unfortunately I don't even live near a major city.

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby M.M. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:38 am

One last question for you all!

Should I buy the Ebooks for Manhattan LSAT, or the actual books? The ebooks are much cheaper and I'll likely have them immediately, whereas I'd have to pay more and wait for the real books, and I can likely print out any exercises that I'll have to do, but I still would like to get your guys' and gals' opinions on whether to buy material or Ebooks.


TLS = <3

User avatar
relevantfactor
Posts: 119
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby relevantfactor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:06 am

M.M. wrote:One last question for you all!

Should I buy the Ebooks for Manhattan LSAT, or the actual books? The ebooks are much cheaper and I'll likely have them immediately, whereas I'd have to pay more and wait for the real books, and I can likely print out any exercises that I'll have to do, but I still would like to get your guys' and gals' opinions on whether to buy material or Ebooks.


TLS = <3


You can buy the set of three for 95$ which is a bit cheaper than buying them individually. I would buy the real thing, just so you can write on it. But I guess you can print out hundreds of pages if you'd like.

cgw
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby cgw » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:27 am

M.M. wrote:One last question for you all!

Should I buy the Ebooks for Manhattan LSAT, or the actual books? The ebooks are much cheaper and I'll likely have them immediately, whereas I'd have to pay more and wait for the real books, and I can likely print out any exercises that I'll have to do, but I still would like to get your guys' and gals' opinions on whether to buy material or Ebooks.


TLS = <3


For the Powerscore books I used ebooks, but I printed the entire book out, so it wasn't really like using an ebook. I don't think I could have just read it on a computer or e-reader (and I love my e-reader), but everyone's different. I bought my Manhattan LR & LG books from Barnes and Noble online. I'm a member and I had two 20% off coupons, so I got them both for about $40 with free 2 day shipping. You can sign up for a free trial membership with them and get it in 2 days or you can also sign up for free student 2 day shipping with amazon. That's not too bad a wait.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby northwood » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:48 am

you may be trying too many strategies and are confusing yourself. Take a few days off and when you come back, pick a strategy that works for you and stick with it. Do timed section work ( give yourself 30 minutes) then drill with individual questions for those that you got wrong, or guessed, or struggled with. DO those untimed so you can take time to practice. only do 1 or 2 full 5 sectoin PT's a week ( 2 max).

M.M.
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby M.M. » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:15 pm

northwood wrote:you may be trying too many strategies and are confusing yourself. Take a few days off and when you come back, pick a strategy that works for you and stick with it. Do timed section work ( give yourself 30 minutes) then drill with individual questions for those that you got wrong, or guessed, or struggled with. DO those untimed so you can take time to practice. only do 1 or 2 full 5 sectoin PT's a week ( 2 max).


See but the thing is, I feel like I forgot a lot of Princeton Review's strategies, so I'm only really consciously using Powerscore strategies. Much of my args ability was "natural" that is to say I didn't work very hard at them at all, and now I just don't seem to have it.. e.g. it seems to be separate from a strategy thing. Plus, I don't really know what works for me.. though I do know I like Powerscore's games method, especially with it being compatible with MLSAT's games method, but i was planning on keeping that anyway. Thank you though. Can I ask why give my self 30 minutes? Much of the advice I've seen on here says to not time yourself if you're having problems like I am, then work on techniques before moving to timing yourself.

cgw wrote:
M.M. wrote:One last question for you all!

Should I buy the Ebooks for Manhattan LSAT, or the actual books? The ebooks are much cheaper and I'll likely have them immediately, whereas I'd have to pay more and wait for the real books, and I can likely print out any exercises that I'll have to do, but I still would like to get your guys' and gals' opinions on whether to buy material or Ebooks.


TLS = <3


For the Powerscore books I used ebooks, but I printed the entire book out, so it wasn't really like using an ebook. I don't think I could have just read it on a computer or e-reader (and I love my e-reader), but everyone's different. I bought my Manhattan LR & LG books from Barnes and Noble online. I'm a member and I had two 20% off coupons, so I got them both for about $40 with free 2 day shipping. You can sign up for a free trial membership with them and get it in 2 days or you can also sign up for free student 2 day shipping with amazon. That's not too bad a wait.


I will take this into consideration.



relevantfactor wrote:
M.M. wrote:One last question for you all!

Should I buy the Ebooks for Manhattan LSAT, or the actual books? The ebooks are much cheaper and I'll likely have them immediately, whereas I'd have to pay more and wait for the real books, and I can likely print out any exercises that I'll have to do, but I still would like to get your guys' and gals' opinions on whether to buy material or Ebooks.


TLS = <3


You can buy the set of three for 95$ which is a bit cheaper than buying them individually. I would buy the real thing, just so you can write on it. But I guess you can print out hundreds of pages if you'd like.


But the thing is, I wouldn't really be printing out hundreds of pages, just the pages with problems / exercises on them. And I can also then use the problems over and over again, though obviously they'll lose efficacy and honestly I probably wouldn't.

User avatar
Ixiion
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

Re: I'm scoring worse than ever. What now?

Postby Ixiion » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:16 pm

You can buy the set of 3 for $66.
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-LSAT-Se ... 711&sr=1-1

So, since you agreed with me about e-books earlier, I'd definitely suggest getting them in paper, lol. $66 isn't that bad for all three.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], DumbHollywoodActor, mintme, Pozzo, Tomthecat, Vino.Veritas, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests