Fall Semester Prep Advice

RobertGolddust

Fall Semester Prep Advice

Postby RobertGolddust » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:59 pm

So this is the scenario... I have spent all summer going through the bibles, typically spending 30+ hours a week, attempting to learn the fundamentals of the LSAT. I will not be taking the LSAT until October 2013. Below is a brief overview of my prep strategy.

Fall Semester- Focus primarily on UGPA. I will do a couple logical games every morning and only read dense material for my morning paper (the New Yorker is my personal favorite). Also, I will spend two hours a week doing a few LR and RC sections individually with my main focus being the improvement of accuracy. It's also worth noting that I have a part time job, I only work about 8 hours a week, but I personally think it will be difficult for me to do any intense prep.

Winter Break- 6 weeks of nothing but LSAT prep 40 + hrs a week.

Spring Semester- Same as the Fall except instead of doing individual RC and LR sections, I will take one full PT timed a week and add another two hour block into my schedule to review the PT.

Summer- Intense Prep 40 + a week.

It's also worth noting that I am shooting for a score in the 90th percentile or above. I am not a genius. I have taken only one timed PT and I scored a 151, it was not a "cold diagnosis" because I went through a Kaplan LR book before I took it. The test break down was -7 reading comp, -20 both LR sections, -14 games.

It would be great to here feed back about my prep strategy from TLS members who are or have been in a similar situation. Also, if any one experienced with the LSAT thinks that this plan is not sufficient to raise my score 10-20 points please let me know and recommend a more appropriate prep schedule to bring about my desired result.

Thank you

Robert F. Goldust

Triveal

Re: Fall Semester Prep Advice

Postby Triveal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:03 pm

There is zero chance you will be able to adhere to this schedule, and studying that far in advance isn't recommended.

I'd say forget the LSAT until the middle of your spring semester and kick it up then. Take the June LSAT if you're ready, and the October one if you aren't. If you don't do well on June you'll still have a chance to retake.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:10 pm

Triveal wrote:There is zero chance you will be able to adhere to this schedule, and studying that far in advance isn't recommended.

I'd say forget the LSAT until the middle of your spring semester and kick it up then. Take the June LSAT if you're ready, and the October one if you aren't. If you don't do well on June you'll still have a chance to retake.

Yeah I see no reason to wait until October. You are planning on studying way too long. If you kept up your schedule, you'd be ready by February easily after that intensive winter break studying. If you take it then you'll have plenty of time if you need to prep for a retake.

T14hoping

Postby T14hoping » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Either take it this October, December, or Februrary (not sure if possible), or cut out your studying until late next spring for the Oct. 2013 test. You're going to run out of material, and you'll be burned out (at the very least).

You need to time your efforts better if you're not going to be taking the test for another 14 months. Personally, I'd focus solely on graduating with the best GPA possible, and then focusing most of your available energy to killing the prep next summer/fall going into the test. That is, if you're going to stick with taking the October test.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:56 pm

I just thought it over and I will most defiantly run out of material if I try to stick to this plan. I really want to take it October 2013. I personally think I need the winter and the summer to give this test the time it deserves, I have literally only taken one full PT.

Winter- 20 PT's at best
Summer- 40-50 PT's

To do that many PT's and give them the time they deserve is going to take at least 4 months of intense studying. I think the extra 2 hour blocks during the fall and and spring semester should be eliminated. Maybe I should just keep the fall and spring semesters dedicated to a few games a week. What do you guys think?

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:03 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:I just thought it over and I will most defiantly run out of material if I try to stick to this plan. I really want to take it October 2013. I personally think I need the winter and the summer to give this test the time it deserves, I have literally only taken one full PT.

Winter- 20 PT's at best
Summer- 40-50 PT's

To do that many PT's and give them the time they deserve is going to take at least 4 months of intense studying. I think the extra 2 hour blocks during the fall and and spring semester should be eliminated. Maybe I should just keep the fall and spring semesters dedicated to a few games a week. What do you guys think?

You realize that all (reputable) prep material also comes from the PTs? Probably after 40 prep tests or so, if you are drilling at all on the side, you will have seen almost every problem at least once (and most of them several times). You're still going to run out of material.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:37 pm

Not necessarily, I am really only talking about doing a few games a week to stay sharp, and that includes most of them being re-does. If I only re do games from the LG bible and a few others I am going to pull from the Pt's 1-10 during the fall semester, and then only re-do games from my winter prep/lg bible I should still have plenty of material for the summer.

theprophet89

Postby theprophet89 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:41 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:Not necessarily, I am really only talking about doing a few games a week to stay sharp, and that includes most of them being re-does. If I only re do games from the LG bible and a few others I am going to pull from the Pt's 1-10 during the fall semester, and then only re-do games from my winter prep/lg bible I should still have plenty of material for the summer.

I still don't understand why you'd wait until October for your first write. What if it goes horribly wrong? Then you're fighting time during the cycle.

Write Feb leaving June and October as fall-backs. June is seriously your best opportunity and it isn't even close.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:11 pm

I still don't understand why you'd wait until October for your first write. What if it goes horribly wrong? Then you're fighting time during the cycle.

Write Feb leaving June and October as fall-backs. June is seriously your best opportunity and it isn't even close.

Because I am still doing an undergrad and I want to give the LSAT full attention when I study for it. Basically I am trying to give myself the best possible chance for success and I believe that four months of studying without distraction is the best chance I have of scoring in the 90th percentile. Like i said I, my diagnosis is right in the median, and from what I have read on this forum and advice I have received outside of the forum I am going to have to put allot of time into studying if I want a 10 + jump.

And to answer your question "What if it goes horribly wrong?" If it does, I will throw in the towel and move on with my life. Unless by horribly wrong you mean something like I panic during the test, or some other event that seriously hinders my performance occurs. One of the main reasons I want to give myself so much time is so I don't have to re-take. I guess I will leave a couple prep tests left over just in case something unfortunate happens, but there will be no re-take do to lack of prep intensity, this I am sure of.

bernaldiaz

Postby bernaldiaz » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:20 pm

RobertGolddust wrote:

Because I am still doing an undergrad and I want to give the LSAT full attention when I study for it. Basically I am trying to give myself the best possible chance for success and I believe that four months of studying without distraction is the best chance I have of scoring in the 90th percentile. Like i said I, my diagnosis is right in the median, and from what I have read on this forum and advice I have received outside of the forum I am going to have to put allot of time into studying if I want a 10 + jump.

And to answer your question "What if it goes horribly wrong?" If it does, I will throw in the towel and move on with my life. Unless by horribly wrong you mean something like I panic during the test, or some other event that seriously hinders my performance occurs. One of the main reasons I want to give myself so much time is so I don't have to re-take. I guess I will leave a couple prep tests left over just in case something unfortunate happens, but there will be no re-take do to lack of prep intensity, this I am sure of.

Seems like you are already set in your plan then and don't really want our advice.

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Why on god's green earth would anyone study this long for the LSAT? I get that it's a tough test. I get it's somewhat learnable. I get that every point is potentially worth thousands.

But frankly, if you can't get to 170 or whatever 90th % is, in under 500 hours, consider a different career bro.

That said, you don't need to read every bible/strategy/TLS approach to the test to be successful. If anything, that'll be your downfall. Find what works for you, work really hard at it, and if you can't get to your goal within a few months, give it the fuck up.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:48 pm

I don't agree with the poster above who said its 170 or find another career.

I do however smell a burnout, and it's you, OP, who will burnout adhering to said schedule. Either take it earlier, or wait.

IMO, you should wait.

Good luck!

StrictlyBusiness

Postby StrictlyBusiness » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:29 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:I don't agree with the poster above who said its 170 or find another career.

Good luck!

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that 170 was the level at which you shouldn't go to law school. The OP simply stated they wanted 90%, so I was saying if you couldn't attain whatever goal you set/think you need to be happy with your school, it isn't worth it after a certain point.

Edit: The number I was looking for (90th percentile) is 164.

RobertGolddust

Postby RobertGolddust » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks for the advice, all of it has been very helpful, and of course more is welcome.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”