2nd retake in October concerns

Easy-E

2nd retake in October concerns

Postby Easy-E » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Got 169 in June, the goal is NYC biglaw and with a 3.1 GPA, I know I really need to squeeze the last few points I can out of this test. I've been extremely busy at my current job, and frankly just needed some LSAT off-time, so I haven't done any prep. If I started next Monday prepping for October I have six weeks. I'd hope I'd have retained most of the basics from prepping for the LSAT two times, so I'm thinking this still might be enough time. Am I selling myself my short by waiting this long to start? Would the December administration put me at too much of a disadvantage given my splitter status?

Also, can anyone suggest how to approach this round of prep? I didn't have any specific question types or games I had problems with (I just bombed in games in June), so I'm thinking maybe do a week of reading and drilling with my Velocity/Manhattan/PS books just to get me back on my toes, and jump into full PTs for the next 5 weeks with heavy review? I've done all the recent PTs but I just need to get back to how I was performing pre-June, and hopefully October is more forgiving to me.

jmart154

Re: 2nd retake in October concerns

Postby jmart154 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:35 pm

Indeed you have waited until late in the game to commence your prep. However, if you scored a 169 in the past, I would assume you'll have retained the basics and more - this is sort of a blind assertion, as I do not know the last time you wrote the test. If you last wrote within the year, then I believe you are OK.

I will leave you with this to consider. If you are aiming for Columbia or NYU, then you will need to rock this thing. Think along the lines of you should be PT'ing in the 173-176 range consistently, especially with a relatively low GPA. Also, this will be your last attempt. If you can PT in this range, great, if not, why waste your last opportunity when you don't feel sufficiently prepared? My advice is to study hard until the drop date. If you are seeing substantial gains and improvements, or are where you think you should be, then write in October. If this is not the case, I would opt out and wait until December. It's a rolling admissions process, which means that you won't be considered among the first crop of applicants, but you will still have a competitive chance if you rock that LSAT.

HTH

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:53 pm

jmart154 wrote:Indeed you have waited until late in the game to commence your prep. However, if you scored a 169 in the past, I would assume you'll have retained the basics and more - this is sort of a blind assertion, as I do not know the last time you wrote the test. If you last wrote within the year, then I believe you are OK.

I will leave you with this to consider. If you are aiming for Columbia or NYU, then you will need to rock this thing. Think along the lines of you should be PT'ing in the 173-176 range consistently, especially with a relatively low GPA. Also, this will be your last attempt. If you can PT in this range, great, if not, why waste your last opportunity when you don't feel sufficiently prepared? My advice is to study hard until the drop date. If you are seeing substantial gains and improvements, or are where you think you should be, then write in October. If this is not the case, I would opt out and wait until December. It's a rolling admissions process, which means that you won't be considered among the first crop of applicants, but you will still have a competitive chance if you rock that LSAT.

HTH

Not really considering CLS/NYU, shooting more for lower T-14 UVA/NU/Cornell, so I'm realistically aiming for the 170-173 range, a range I hit probably 3-4 times while prepping for June '12 (so yes, wrote this year)

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Any other thoughts?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”