December LSAT and Prep Course? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Epyon!

New

December LSAT and Prep Course?

Post by Epyon! » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:05 pm

Mods, please delete this thread.

Much appreciated!
Last edited by Epyon! on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Epyon!

New

Re: December LSAT and Prep Course?

Post by Epyon! » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Last edited by Epyon! on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:25 pm

I would go with neither and highly suggest you look at Manhattan LSAT. LSAT has been the bane of my existence and I have gone through BP class and PS bibles, amongst others and MLSAT was by far the best, hands down! They also offer private tutoring.

Also check out Velocity for your RC section.

Epyon!

New

Post by Epyon! » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Last edited by Epyon! on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlaqBella

Silver

Post by BlaqBella » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Epyon! wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:I would go with neither and highly suggest you look at Manhattan LSAT. LSAT has been the bane of my existence and I have gone through BP class and PS bibles, amongst others and MLSAT was by far the best, hands down! They also offer private tutoring.

Also check out Velocity for your RC section.
Finally.

Manhattan has a prep course?
YES. Online and offline and in Los Angeles environs.

Check it out:

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/los-angeles-classes.cfm

ETA: if by LA you mean Louisiana, I am afraid they do not offer classes locally there. My apologies for the confusion!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Epyon!

New

Post by Epyon! » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Joeshan520

Bronze

Post by Joeshan520 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 am

I'm taking Blueprint right now and think their RC method is pretty intuitive. I'm really struggling with games though and there methods for that.

Epyon!

New

Post by Epyon! » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Joeshan520

Bronze

Post by Joeshan520 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Epyon! wrote:
Joeshan520 wrote:I'm taking Blueprint right now and think their RC method is pretty intuitive. I'm really struggling with games though and there methods for that.
Interesting, how do they go about explaining each section?
Best to Worst Methods for Blueprint

LR: Question Stem first. This, INMHO, is the best method because for each stem they have a particular methodology on how to read the stimulus (i.e. diagramming, mottos, assessing validity etc.). So for example the way you read a Disagree question is completely different then the way you would read a MBT question. For programs that emphasize stimulus first, you might not necessarily read the stimulus a certain way and miss out on key indications for addressing the question. When they first introduce a new question type in the homework, it's not just problems but they actually write out step by step what you should be looking for and doing. So for example let's say your first homework problem is a Must Be True question. They'll say 1) identify the problem as a must be true question 2) Read stimulus noting indication words that suggest conditional relationships and potential premises and conclusions. 3) Identify whether or not diagrammable. 4) Go through each answer choice and determine whether the choice MBT according to the information presented in the stimulus or from the conditional relationships drawn, if not eliminate and next choice. It's literally a written step by step process to engrain what you should be thinking about when going through these questions. I have seen the most improvement with LR thus far.

RC: They emphasize tagging the passages as you read. This includes identifying the passage's structure, underlining author attitudes and citing examples, studies, paragraph themes etc. It takes a little longer, but the questions themselves are far easier if you do this correctly. After a month of studying I'm down to around -0 to -2 a passage.

LG: This has been most difficult for me to grasp thus far. The hardest part is the initial deductions and scenarios and emphasizing distributive principles (playing the numbers using their terminology). I don't know really how much different this is from TM or PS having had experience with both other than how the rules are diagrammed.

Features of the Course:

For $200 extra you can get all the lectures in the form of entertaining videos (Blueprint the Movie), in case you have to miss class for some reason. If you buy the online course, this last for two test administrations.They offer explanations for EVERY SINGLE HOMEWORK PROBLEM. That is different than TM FOR SURE because you actually know WHY you are getting the problems wrong.The instructors are actually entertaining and simplify the test for you which makes studying a bit more palatable. They have workshops after every four lessons and time trial clinics at the end of the course on top of 6 in class exams. Super intuitive and money well spent IMHO.

PM with questions if you'd like.
Last edited by Joeshan520 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:22 pm

TylerJonesMPLS

New

Post by TylerJonesMPLS » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Do you know why you are making mistakes on the RC? Do you have trouble with vocabulary, for instance? Or is there some other particular problem? If you do well on LR, you should do well on RC, because the method of attack is similar, and RC passages are easier to figure out than LR passages because RC passages never have any flaws.

I ask because if you know for sure what your problem(s) is, you can probably find a way to address that problem in self-study, even if you decide to take a class.

Have you tried quickly reading over the first and last sentences of the RC passage? Generally conclusions are in the first or last sentence, and quickly glancing at them will give you an overview of what is being discussed, and that makes the passage easier to read. Of course, YMMV, but this works for some.

Epyon!

New

Post by Epyon! » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Epyon!

New

Post by Epyon! » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Epyon!

New

Post by Epyon! » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:53 pm

Last edited by 06102016 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:55 pm

TylerJonesMPLS wrote:Do you know why you are making mistakes on the RC? Do you have trouble with vocabulary, for instance? Or is there some other particular problem? If you do well on LR, you should do well on RC, because the method of attack is similar, and RC passages are easier to figure out than LR passages because RC passages never have any flaws.

I ask because if you know for sure what your problem(s) is, you can probably find a way to address that problem in self-study, even if you decide to take a class.

Have you tried quickly reading over the first and last sentences of the RC passage? Generally conclusions are in the first or last sentence, and quickly glancing at them will give you an overview of what is being discussed, and that makes the passage easier to read. Of course, YMMV, but this works for some.

Yes, RC passages rarely - if ever - have obvious "flaws", but they contain many "inferences" and "necessary assumptions", which are often more difficult to identify while also applying critical, scholarly readings.

The "separator questions" in RC often ask test-takers to identify inferences and assumptions (along with the main points, of course), which is really the key to success on RC passages because average readers lack the close-reading skills that allow them to do so.

Moreover, flaws are perceivable when viewing two or more points-of-view, making the act of juggling multiple points-of-view an even more important determinant of one's success. So, while the reasoning presented by the subjects of RC passages may be facially flawless, perceivable flaws are presented by opposing views.

Also, the first and last sentences rarely provide the main points in RC passages. More often than not, the main point is actually paraphrased along the way, and may even be disjointed into two separate paragraphs.

As well, the MP is often buried at the end of the first paragraph or even in the very middle of a RC passage. It can be anywhere, and the unsuspecting reader pays dearly for not understanding that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”