RC, LG Book Recommendation PLEASE!

kky215

RC, LG Book Recommendation PLEASE!

Postby kky215 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:10 am

Hi all, I know there are many existing posts that are related to my question above, but I would like to hear fellow LSATers' honest and informative opinions that are specifically geared to my situation. FYI, I will be taking the LSAT in February for Fall 2014 admission. So I have about 5 months to prepare. My target goal is 168~172.

1) LG
I have been studying LSAT pretty consistently for the past few months. (Took Kaplan Course, but honestly it did not help much)
I have read LGB once, and it has helped me improve my LG skills, but I am still not getting the score that I want.
I have been doing PT 1~30, and my average score on PT's have been varying between 158~162.
On average, I get 2~4 questions wrong on LG, but sometimes I even get 8~10 questions wrong on LG section alone. (which is so depressing and discouraging..)
My LG score tends to fluctuate depending on the difficulty level and my familiarity with the game types.

2) RC
With regard to RC, I am getting at least 1~2 questions wrong per each passage--so about 6~8 questions wrong on RC section alone.
I have not looked at any RC books yet.

I am planning to re-read LGB very carefully, redoing every example question and making my own notes.
But I am also planning to invest in good LG and RC books.
For LG, I am debating between buying LGB Flashcards from Powerscore or Manhattan LSAT LG. Which should I buy? (since I already have LGB, should I try MLSAT book, or should I stick to LGB and learn to completely master their methods of attack?)
For RC, I am debating between buying Manhattan LSAT RC or Nova's RC. Which should I buy?

I would greatly appreciate your honest opinions!
Thanks so much in advance!

Nova

Re: RC, LG Book Recommendation PLEASE!

Postby Nova » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:19 am

IMO, you should get M.

I read M after I read the PSBs, and it really helped.
I personally got a lot more out of M than I did the PSBs.
Reading both will allow you to pick the methods and strategies that click for you the most.
Youll be able to craft a hybrid approach tailored to your preferences.

M Bundle
Last edited by Nova on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

kky215

Postby kky215 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:56 am

Thanks for your quick reply Nova!
Do you have any recommendations for RC?

Nova wrote:IMO, you should get M.

I read M after I read the PSBs, and it really helped.
I personally got a lot more out of M than I did the PSBs.
Reading both will allow you to pick and choose the methods that click most.
Youll be able to craft a hybrid approach tailored to your preferences.

M Bundle

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:03 am

RC was my worst section by far so Im probably not the best person to recommend guides for it. I personally liked Manhattans RC guide better than PSB. I felt it cut to the chase. It is much shorter than the RCPSB, but seemed more thorough and informative. RCPSB is pretty much 200 pages of VIEWSTAMP. Those are the only two I read. I wish I could go into more detail, but I read them about a year ago and am fuzzy on specifics.

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:14 pm

I went from -15 and -16 on RC to a week later going -8 and -7. This was after reading Manhattan RC. Worth it.

kky215

Postby kky215 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Thanks a lot guys.
I have just ordered MBundle from Amazon.
Will study them for about a month and take a fresh PT to see how much I have improved!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”