December TLS Study Group

CyanIdes Of March

December TLS Study Group

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm finding myself wanting to make threads about random things, about my own progress, about things most people don't care for me to spam the forum about and I'm thinking a lot of people studying for these coming exams feel about the same. If this thread isn't warranted we can just let it die, but if it winds up helping some people who share the same deadlines and goals then great!

Anyways, the purpose of this thread is for people planning to take the Dec. 2012 exam to talk about progress, study tips, and time-sensitive topics here. I've seen some other exam-based study group threads so maybe this will help in the same way those did so feel free to check in and give us your LSAT background.

A little about me:

Been studying since May 2012 with a cold diag of 158. Was planning on Oct. 2012 but delayed to Dec. 2012 (going to defer probably, want the year off for various reasons) so I had laxed my studying for the last month but am starting to pick it back up. I'm PT'ing an average of a 170, although it seems to be coming in extremes (175's and 165's). I have yet to take an LSAT yet so this will be my first.

Cerebro

Re: December TLS Study Group

Postby Cerebro » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:11 pm

tagged.

I've been targeting October, but I'm seriously intimidated by getting my applications together before November, and I want to make sure I get the best possible score that I can. I'm worried that even if I take the test in October, I won't have all my shit together to submit the apps before Thanksgiving. I don't know if this is a valid concern or not, but if I'm not able to apply early, I may defer until next year and volunteer to do child advocacy in my local community. I'm aiming for 175+, but still not hitting my target (I started studying in July 2012). I don't think I'll get there for October, but December is starting to look realistic. (I am already registered for October test, but I'm planning to change the date on 9/14 if I'm not ready for October by then. My GPA is only 3.74, and I'm a non-traditional type; one more year probably won't hurt me too much.

nortedesotu

Postby nortedesotu » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:53 pm

Tag

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:42 am

Cerebro wrote:tagged.

I've been targeting October, but I'm seriously intimidated by getting my applications together before November, and I want to make sure I get the best possible score that I can. I'm worried that even if I take the test in October, I won't have all my shit together to submit the apps before Thanksgiving. I don't know if this is a valid concern or not, but if I'm not able to apply early, I may defer until next year and volunteer to do child advocacy in my local community. I'm aiming for 175+, but still not hitting my target (I started studying in July 2012). I don't think I'll get there for October, but December is starting to look realistic. (I am already registered for October test, but I'm planning to change the date on 9/14 if I'm not ready for October by then. My GPA is only 3.74, and I'm a non-traditional type; one more year probably won't hurt me too much.

That seems pretty similar to the reasoning I used as well although now my PTs have been going pretty smooth for a while (just need to focus on RC as I've been neglecting it for closer to the exam since there are so few RC passages to use).

Also, what does 'tagged' mean? I've never seen it anywhere but here.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:08 am

CyanIdes Of March wrote:Also, what does 'tagged' mean? I've never seen it anywhere but here.

iirc, the term originated in the mid- to late-18th century, when people would routinely express interest in articles posted on the bulletin board in the town square by affixing their tag (a leather strip imprinted with their initials) to the article. Nowadays, I think it just means that the thread was either bookmarked or subscribed.

312ldn

Postby 312ldn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:14 am

Cerebro wrote:
CyanIdes Of March wrote:Also, what does 'tagged' mean? I've never seen it anywhere but here.

iirc, the term originated in the mid- to late-18th century, when people would routinely express interest in articles posted on the bulletin board in the town square by affixing their tag (a leather strip imprinted with their initials) to the article. Nowadays, I think it just means that the thread was either bookmarked or subscribed.

Interesting

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:05 pm

Took LR1, LR2, and LG of PT 1 today. Did pretty well but disappointed that I missed 4 on LG and every single one of them was a careless mistake. Usually I'll have one or 2 of these kinds of mistakes but I guess taking an LG section at 2 in the morning creates more chance for carelessness. Also LR is pretty weird this early on.

myoung7189

Postby myoung7189 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:59 pm

I'll join in on this as well; I hope this thread can keep us all motivated and on track. I'm an unemployed undergrad in his final semester taking only 13 hours; my sole focus for the next several months is on crushing this test. In May of this year, I decided to take the lsat for June on a whim; luckily I found this site which filled my mind with great advice concerning prep and aspirations of a high score. I decided to cancel in June and planned on taking it in October. To begin my prep for October I dropped the woeful Barron's guide and worked through Powerscore's LR, LG, and Manhattan's RC. My prepping went well but I unfortunately allowed myself to always hold December in my mind as a backup plan; with this preconceived excuse floating in my head I slacked. I now have no backup plan because I will be teaching English as a foreign language early next year. I am currently drilling my way through Cambridge's RC, LR, LG packs for pt's 1-20 while re-reading any relevant chapters in the aforementioned guides (I'm still considering picking up Manhattan LR because all of the great things I've heard on this forum). Let's hit them books.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:20 am

I had problems committing to October as well. And then even December but what finally made me go all in for December is the fact that I'm going to want 3 attempts by next years early cycle and I don't want to take Feb. because you don't get to see any feedback.

Honestly I'm still a little nervous about taking it and I've had second thoughts because I don't know how strenuous school + work is going to be at that time but I'm doing pretty well on PTs/Sections right now, I know the high score is achievable if I remain serious about it. I also just kind of what to get a score under my belt, I've been at this long enough it's time to face the beast.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”