Two-Month Study Inspirational Stories Wanted!

carboncopyx

Two-Month Study Inspirational Stories Wanted!

Postby carboncopyx » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:25 pm

After doing a solid four days of studying, I decided to take an untimed PT and got a 174 (my time for the LG section was atrocious, though--52 min). Since I'm still debating whether or not the October test date is feasible, I'd love to hear stories about major time improvements in a relatively short period of time. (Or fail stories, too, if that's more realistic.) Just trying to gauge what is within the realm of possibility. Thanks!

edit: more information on times and errors for each section

LG: 52 minutes, -0
LR: 37 and 42 minutes respectively, -4 for each
RC: 34 minutes, -2

Granted, this was going EXTREMELY slowly (i.e. I would let myself read EVERYTHING multiple times if I wanted to, would read answers past the one I knew was right, etc.). My timed test before I did any form of studying was a 156, but I've since gone through the LRB and LGB.
Last edited by carboncopyx on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cerebro

Re: Two-Month Study Inspirational Stories Wanted!

Postby Cerebro » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Last edited by Cerebro on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Untimed tests mean very very little.

You will likely need more time to peak.

I studied for 2 months, wasnt ready for Oct, pushed the test back till Dec, did much better than I would have in Oct, and had a good cycle.

Keep studying like crazy till these dates,

Registration Online, by Mail, or by Telephone
September 4, 2012 (receipt deadline)

Late Registration by Mail
September 13, 2012 (receipt deadline)

Late Registration Online or by Telephone
September 14, 2012 (receipt deadline),

and make your decision then
Last edited by Nova on Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:50 pm

Studied for a combined two months to score a pair of 166s. Studied for four months and got a 176.

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:51 pm

So here were the times it took me for each section:

Granted, this was going EXTREMELY slowly (i.e. I would let myself read EVERYTHING multiple times if I wanted to, would read answers past the one I knew was right, etc.). My timed test before I did any form of studying was a 156, but I've since gone through the LRB and LGB.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:56 pm

carboncopyx wrote:So here were the times it took me for each section:

you might be fine, but I know a guy who's first timed PT was around that range and still ended up getting only a 170. If anyone was ready after a month and change, it'd be you, but I think there's a lot to be gained from studying for another few months

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:01 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:you might be fine, but I know a guy who's first timed PT was around that range and still ended up getting only a 170. If anyone was ready after a month and change, it'd be you, but I think there's a lot to be gained from studying for another few months

I would love the extra months to prepare, but I've just heard so many negative things about how sitting for December will seriously disadvantage you if you are applying for next fall (since applicants would have already heard back from schools before you are even able to submit your application)...

VUSisterRayVU

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Learn LGs NOW. Drill some LR. You'll be fine.

Postby 05062014 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:24 pm

Cerebro wrote:Even if you still had two months, you would probably benefit from waiting until December to write the test. Having said that, you did not say what your current timed score is. If you are in the 150s or below, I would say definitely not October.

But in any case, check your calendar.. you have less than 2 months.

ETA: IF LG is the only section you are unable to finish in 35 minutes, then you may have a shot for October.

Cerebro, are you implying that being a few minutes over the limit in LR cannot be fixed within a two month time frame? If so, I think you're wrong. Also, I think you may be inappropriately discouraging a lot of people who have timing issues, which I think is a lot of people.

One solid week of drilling EASY LR's of all question types and he will be fine. Timing is hard to improve but not that hard.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:32 pm

October versus December isn't even worth 1 LSAT point in the 167-174 range. Especially now that apps are way down. Schools that won't even look at a 168 score in October will suck you off to get a 170 score in December.

VUSisterRayVU

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:04 pm

rayiner wrote:October versus December isn't even worth 1 LSAT point in the 167-174 range. Especially now that apps are way down. Schools that won't even look at a 168 score in October will suck you off to get a 170 score in December.

cr though it may be worth seeing how cut the class sizes are

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:23 pm

abdistotle wrote:
Cerebro wrote:Even if you still had two months, you would probably benefit from waiting until December to write the test. Having said that, you did not say what your current timed score is. If you are in the 150s or below, I would say definitely not October.

But in any case, check your calendar.. you have less than 2 months.

ETA: IF LG is the only section you are unable to finish in 35 minutes, then you may have a shot for October.

Cerebro, are you implying that being a few minutes over the limit in LR cannot be fixed within a two month time frame? If so, I think you're wrong. Also, I think you may be inappropriately discouraging a lot of people who have timing issues, which I think is a lot of people.

One solid week of drilling EASY LR's of all question types and he will be fine. Timing is hard to improve but not that hard.

Yeah, I apologize, didn't mean to come across as so discouraging. By all means, if a person has the time to put into it, gains in speed and accuracy can be made in a relatively short period of time. One could always target October and keep December as a back-up if they don't feel as though they've reached their target.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:39 pm

As Nova said, come back when you have a timed score. Assuming you score in the mid to high 160s and plan to work your way to the high 170s: It's doable, I pulled myself up about 13 timed points in a period of about a month. It's definitely not fun, AT ALL, but if you're planning on applying this cycle, it might be worth it to try. If you start studying now and aren't scoring high enough to consistently hit your target, wait till December. It's not like your studying will be wasted if you don't end up taking in Oct.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:36 am

carboncopyx wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:you might be fine, but I know a guy who's first timed PT was around that range and still ended up getting only a 170. If anyone was ready after a month and change, it'd be you, but I think there's a lot to be gained from studying for another few months

I would love the extra months to prepare, but I've just heard so many negative things about how sitting for December will seriously disadvantage you if you are applying for next fall (since applicants would have already heard back from schools before you are even able to submit your application)...

you won't get to apply early decision to most schools, but you should still get some good offers. Waiting another year to apply is probably the best decision. Definitely agree with Ray that the extra points are worth more than the lateness

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:49 am

I diag'd at 158 in mid April of this year, and signed up for the June Test (roughly 2 months). Before the test I was PTing in the low 170s with some spikes in the high 170s, and on test day I did a 169. That wasn't good enough for me and I'm retaking, but significant improvements are possible. The one thing I would caution is even in June I knew if I had more time I would probably be a mid 170 scorer on the real thing, and I don't even think I would have been terribly pleased with my PT average score on the real thing (which was 172). I'm an insufferable perfectionist though, so take that as you will.

Postby 05062014 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:12 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:I diag'd at 158 in mid April of this year, and signed up for the June Test (roughly 2 months). Before the test I was PTing in the low 170s with some spikes in the high 170s, and on test day I did a 169. That wasn't good enough for me and I'm retaking, but significant improvements are possible. The one thing I would caution is even in June I knew if I had more time I would probably be a mid 170 scorer on the real thing, and I don't even think I would have been terribly pleased with my PT average score on the real thing (which was 172). I'm an insufferable perfectionist though, so take that as you will.

Noodley- just curious, how did you not run out of material by now? I gave myself 3.5 months of solid study time and I have had issues making the new tests last. Are you just retaking a lot of tests?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:43 pm

abdistotle wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I diag'd at 158 in mid April of this year, and signed up for the June Test (roughly 2 months). Before the test I was PTing in the low 170s with some spikes in the high 170s, and on test day I did a 169. That wasn't good enough for me and I'm retaking, but significant improvements are possible. The one thing I would caution is even in June I knew if I had more time I would probably be a mid 170 scorer on the real thing, and I don't even think I would have been terribly pleased with my PT average score on the real thing (which was 172). I'm an insufferable perfectionist though, so take that as you will.

Noodley- just curious, how did you not run out of material by now? I gave myself 3.5 months of solid study time and I have had issues making the new tests last. Are you just retaking a lot of tests?

Haven't retaken a single one, and still have some material left. I spend a good amount of time on book work, and I take a looooot of time reviewing. Burning through PTs without looking over them in great depth is pointless in my opinion. Also, don't think you're too smart for going back to the basics. Go through a chapter of MLSAT or PSB a day on a section that has been tripping you up. Maintain that rigor and don't waste study materials.

Postby 05062014 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 pm

I have about 13 new tests left until game day but I plan to take every exam from 38-66 twice in-between new tests. Review is good and I try to do it as much as possible but the sheer repetition of repeating exams and going through all questions you got right and wrong multiple times forces you to review efficiently and gives you better insight into the quirks of the test as a whole.

To each their own though. I also have not really done more than a few tests from 1-20, and still have 20-30 remaining, albeit with many of the hard LR's and games already seen through drilling.

I am aiming for a similar goal and my diagnostic was a 159, so it is interesting how we differ so greatly in our approach to this thing.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”