Bombed the LSAT

katesearches

Bombed the LSAT

Postby katesearches » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:09 am

This is late. But I bombed the June LSAT. There were other things going on in my life, so I didn't want to "deal" with it until now. However, as it has sunk in, I feel demoralized.

Nearing the June LSAT, it was pretty clear to me I wasn't ready. However there were some things I was dealing with, so I spent two months half-heartedly cramming to get it over with asap, to move on from that stage in my life. I played with the idea of retaking in Oct/Dec, but I would basically be repeating the same thing I did for the June test. There are also personal things I am still dealing with, and I'd prefer to give myself some time to work through these things first. I'm looking at taking the test next June at the earliest, as that will have given me sufficient time to deal with these things and spend time on LSAT materials. Worst case scenario, if June '13 does not pan out well, I am fine with retaking in Oct '13 and applying after those results are in. From my POV, giving myself time to recoup and raising my score is the best thing I could do for my application. It would be better for my LS career as well, to deal with this baggage right now, and give myself some time to adjust to normal life.

That's my decision.

My parents just told me I am f***ing up my life if I don't apply this fall. I just spent hours listening to them tell me what a disappointment I am and how I'm making a mistake. I come from an immigrant family, if it makes a difference in understanding the context. I've made my decision, and I don't want their approval, however listening to someone so utterly convinced I'm making the wrong decision, it makes me wonder if I am in fact doing the right thing. Am I? I'm inclined to disregard what my parents say, since I'll be the one applying and going to law school, taking out the loans, and being responsible for my life. However, since this relates to my family, I don't have objectivity in assessing the situation. So I am asking for TLSers to provide their feedback on my decision. You can be harsh. But I want to know if people think retaking (and postponing the retake) is a bad idea, and if I should reconsider my decision. My stats are 3.7/164 for your consideration. Thanks.

thelawyler

Re: Bombed the LSAT

Postby thelawyler » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:15 am

I know it sucks, but swallow your pride and take the year off. Get a job, gain some WE and perspective, eat some humble pie, and rock that LSAT. With the character that you'll build from this year off, you'll be better prepped to succeed in both law school and life.

Signed,
A guy who took two years off when he didn't want to, and it was the best decision ever.

I guess in terms of taking Oct vs June, take whichever one will maximize your score. One thing you never do for law school is listen to your parents who know nothing about it. Seriously. It sucks putting up with them, but don't make their pressure make you make the wrong decision.

Also, if you want to keep things on good terms with your parents, sit them down for an hour or so whenever they have time after dinner or something and run them through lawschooltransparency.com or even lawschoolnumbers, etc. Show them what it means for your career to boost your LSAT 6 points over the next year. Show them how it is actually the best use of your time ever. Show them cold hard data. Maybe admit that sure, you fucked up and it sucks, but based on that, you're not going to fuck up AGAIN by making a poor decision. And this is the best decision for you. My parents bought into it. And they are pretty immigrant.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:28 am

i know it sucks. I had to do it.

But it was the best decision I've ever made.

Study hard, boost that score, and it will be worth it.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:40 am

katesearches wrote:This is late. But I bombed the June LSAT. There were other things going on in my life, so I didn't want to "deal" with it until now. However, as it has sunk in, I feel demoralized.

Nearing the June LSAT, it was pretty clear to me I wasn't ready. However there were some things I was dealing with, so I spent two months half-heartedly cramming to get it over with asap, to move on from that stage in my life. I played with the idea of retaking in Oct/Dec, but I would basically be repeating the same thing I did for the June test. There are also personal things I am still dealing with, and I'd prefer to give myself some time to work through these things first. I'm looking at taking the test next June at the earliest, as that will have given me sufficient time to deal with these things and spend time on LSAT materials. Worst case scenario, if June '13 does not pan out well, I am fine with retaking in Oct '13 and applying after those results are in. From my POV, giving myself time to recoup and raising my score is the best thing I could do for my application. It would be better for my LS career as well, to deal with this baggage right now, and give myself some time to adjust to normal life.

That's my decision.

My parents just told me I am f***ing up my life if I don't apply this fall. I just spent hours listening to them tell me what a disappointment I am and how I'm making a mistake. I come from an immigrant family, if it makes a difference in understanding the context. I've made my decision, and I don't want their approval, however listening to someone so utterly convinced I'm making the wrong decision, it makes me wonder if I am in fact doing the right thing. Am I? I'm inclined to disregard what my parents say, since I'll be the one applying and going to law school, taking out the loans, and being responsible for my life. However, since this relates to my family, I don't have objectivity in assessing the situation. So I am asking for TLSers to provide their feedback on my decision. You can be harsh. But I want to know if people think retaking (and postponing the retake) is a bad idea, and if I should reconsider my decision. My stats are 3.7/164 for your consideration. Thanks.

No disrespect, but your parents have no idea what they are talking about. Don't let completely misinformed information dictate this very important decision. Law school isn't going anywhere, but retaking could impact your life in a huge way. Scholarship money alone would make it worth taking a year or 2 off.

katesearches

Postby katesearches » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:12 am

Thanks for the posts. I agree it sucks, but I think it's the best decision and I've actually grown really partial to this idea. There's also a lot of fringe benefits with this new plan - I like my job, getting experience, and also saving up a little to soften the impact of taking out huge loans. Plus, there's some time to save up for travelling the summer before LS.

I will try the cold hard data approach. I've pretty much accepted the fact that I bombed it, and I have no personal issue with having to retake it. The way I see it, I have strengths and weaknesses, and this is just a weakness I need to work on. I don't understand why my parents see this as an end-of-the-world thing, and feel so disappointed and embarrassed about this. However, I still didn't feel right just disregarding their opinion, without at least checking with people (who are informed about the LS process) that my decision is/isn't flawed. Thanks for replies so far.

YYZ

Postby YYZ » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:42 am

katesearches wrote:This is late. But I bombed the June LSAT. There were other things going on in my life, so I didn't want to "deal" with it until now. However, as it has sunk in, I feel demoralized.

That's my decision.

Just curious, why is 164 a failure on the LSAT? You can't get into your target school(s)?

hichvichwoh

Postby hichvichwoh » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:32 am

YYZ wrote:

That's my decision.

Just curious, why is 164 a failure on the LSAT? You can't get into your target school(s)?

If he believes he can do better, then 164 is a failure. Always retake if you have a reasonable belief that you can get a better score.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:08 am

Your stats are good, but you obviously want more. Nothing wrong with that.

I've pissed off my parents more in the past year than I have in the previous 24. It's called 'being independent.' They don't like it, no matter what you do. You know what you want, and you know how to get there. As long as you follow through with your study plans and you keep that job, you're gonna do great. :D

Follow your dreams. Mine lead me about 3,000 miles across the map and to a girl I'd only met three times, and to attend a law school in her state. Worked out fine for me.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”