Improving Mental Stamina

Locke89

Improving Mental Stamina

Postby Locke89 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Ever since I started to well enough on 4 section PTs I have moved on to 5 section ones. Though I am noticing that I tend to score a few points lower than just 4 section ones, which I would attribute to stamina.

Does anyone have any tips on improving stamina - including more sections, less, or even something that has nothing to do with the LSAT? I often feel burned out by the end and have trouble focusing, much like a weightlifter who can barely lift anything after a strenuous workout.

Additional useful information:

I feel like whenever I had an extra LR experimental section I get especially worn out.
I always put the experimental in one of the first three sections.
I have been taking a 5 section PT nearly every other day. With the days in between being review days.
I feel like I score better when I "prime myself for the test" (taking 1-3 old or new sections before taking the test to get into the right mindset)

Scotusnerd

Re: Improving Mental Stamina

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Good analogy with the weightlifting. You have to keep pushing yourself, while taking good breaks in between.

Do enough sections so that you feel exhausted and mentally unfocused...then do one more. Repeat until taking 5 sections will wind you, but not exhaust you.

Make sure that you take a rest after each session. You need to let your brain reset for this to work.

sabanist

Postby sabanist » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Locke89 wrote:I feel like I score better when I "prime myself for the test" (taking 1-3 old or new sections before taking the test to get into the right mindset)

If it helps, by all means, do it every time. I find doing a quick LG warmup gets me in the right mindset, too, and I plan on doing it on test day as well.
In prepping for my first take, I found it extremely hard to focus on 5-section tests. Even 4 section tests which ended with RC didn't go well. In contrast, I had no difficulties with stamina on test day. Adrenaline works wonders. I put extra grounds in my coffee on mornings when I PT to simulate that excitement and alertness, but nothing comes close to the real thing.

The time of day you take your PTs might also affect your ability to focus. I hate waking up early, but I'm most focused in the mornings so I force myself to get out of bed when I have a lot of LSAT work to do. My lowest PT scores all came from late afternoon tests when all I wanted to do was finish quickly so I could nap.

Taking a day off completely once a week might not be a bad idea. I find that by the evening of my day off I'm excited to get back to it the next day. While it's awesome that you're so dedicated to studying, a day at the park or whatever else floats your boat can be just as beneficial as the PT you miss out on because of it.
Good luck!

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:55 pm

Locke89 wrote:If it helps, by all means, do it every time. I find doing a quick LG warmup gets me in the right mindset, too, and I plan on doing it on test day as well.
In prepping for my first take, I found it extremely hard to focus on 5-section tests. Even 4 section tests which ended with RC didn't go well. In contrast, I had no difficulties with stamina on test day. Adrenaline works wonders. I put extra grounds in my coffee on mornings when I PT to simulate that excitement and alertness, but nothing comes close to the real thing.

The time of day you take your PTs might also affect your ability to focus. I hate waking up early, but I'm most focused in the mornings so I force myself to get out of bed when I have a lot of LSAT work to do. My lowest PT scores all came from late afternoon tests when all I wanted to do was finish quickly so I could nap.

Taking a day off completely once a week might not be a bad idea. I find that by the evening of my day off I'm excited to get back to it the next day. While it's awesome that you're so dedicated to studying, a day at the park or whatever else floats your boat can be just as beneficial as the PT you miss out on because of it.
Good luck!

Great advice! I just have one thing to add: you should practice taking tests at the same time that you will actually be taking the test. No sense in not doing it, you know? :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”