4 Section vs. 5 Section Tests

tino1317

4 Section vs. 5 Section Tests

Postby tino1317 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Im now in the phase of my studying where I've gone through all of the bibles and almost every single question from pt45 and below. I've saved pt46-66 and superprep questions so I can do them as full length tests. The tests that I have are only 4 section. Do any of you throw in a random section so you can get a feel for the real exam and account for fatigue? Where do you place it? Im surprised that most of the tests dont have a random section thrown in. I feel like I would do better on a 4 section than a 5 section since I would be less fatigued. Any thoughts?

JohnV

Re: 4 Section vs. 5 Section Tests

Postby JohnV » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:21 pm

tino1317 wrote:Im now in the phase of my studying where I've gone through all of the bibles and almost every single question from pt45 and below. I've saved pt46-66 and superprep questions so I can do them as full length tests. The tests that I have are only 4 section. Do any of you throw in a random section so you can get a feel for the real exam and account for fatigue? Where do you place it? Im surprised that most of the tests dont have a random section thrown in. I feel like I would do better on a 4 section than a 5 section since I would be less fatigued. Any thoughts?

Many (including myself) throw in a fifth section to build endurance. I read a peice of advice a while ago that helped me a bit: when you throw in an extra section, after 4 (and make sure you do it accurately as a real test would be, 2 LR/1 RC/1 LG) grade those 4 experimentals as if it were a real test. This gives you a bit of motivation to take the experimental seriously (considering you won't know which one is experimental like you will on the PTs).

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:09 pm

The way I used to warm up in the final weeks was to redo one game, one passage and 4 pages of LR (evens or odds from a section) from a test I took maybe 1-2 months before. Then I would take one experimental section from an older or repeat test, followed by a fresh 4-section PT.

I can't tell you how much it helped doing that repeat material first as a warmup. In all, it ended up being roughly a 6-section test, although I took a 10-15 minute break after the warmup, and another 10-15 minute break with snack halfway through the PT.

I graded experimentals immediately, but DID NOT grade the warmups until I had completed an entire test (so every 4 PTs) and only well AFTER taking my PT that day. On test day you're not going to be able to immediately check answers and things, and so it helped that I got used to not being able to check my answers early on...

As it turned out too, I retook some PTs as 4-section tests and others as warmup/experimentals, and I always did better on the latter.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:28 am

Yeah, do a few. I did a couple (I didn't do most of the PTs in the late 30s so I would take a section from one of those). I also did one or two 6-section tests, and every now and then I would take two PTs in the same afternoon. You don't have to do this obsessively, just enough to make sure you're not completely zoning out during section 5 or missing a lot more than you usually do or anything.

It sounds like you've done a lot already, so you may risk burnout if you do a lot of endurance prep. I definitely burned out near the end of my prep. This is important: take a day or two off before the test. Those two PT-free days were amazing and essential to my mental health. Do a few questions here and there, do a warmup the day of, but don't exhaust yourself right before you sit the test. Keep yourself as relaxed as possible. This, more than any endurance training you do, will help you stay focused for the entire 4 hours on test day.

tino1317

Postby tino1317 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:33 pm

I definitely planned on doing a little warm up on test day probably consisting of a few questions from each section, but I'm still not sure how many full days I want to take off before the test. I noticed that when I was studying and drilling LG every day I hit a really solid peak. When I switched over to LR and spent a few days exclusively on LR I did a game here and there just to try to keep it fresh in my mind but noticed that my timing and accuracy was slowly beginning to suffer. That's the only reason why I'm hesitant to take more than a day off before the test. For me, LR is something that I have retained very well, while LG requires more constant drilling for me to remain as efficient as I want to be. Thanks for the solid advice everyone. My plan from now until test day is to complete 15-20 5 section tests and review them extensively. I also will probably review the Powerscore Bibles again, especially for the question types I struggle with.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:37 pm

What I did to practice for endurance was to take all of my prep tests straight through with no break. That got me used to taking 4 sections at a time, so when test day came around the 3/2 split felt much easier endurance-wise.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”