PT 37, Game 3, Q18 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
LoveLife89

Bronze

PT 37, Game 3, Q18

Post by LoveLife89 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:15 pm

I would really appreciate any help on this game. To help you locate this expeditiously, the game is on page 306 of the PrepTest book.

Ok, I chose D and that was the incorrect answer. I can see how E is also the correct answer but I feel like both are viable options. This is a MBT questions an both must be true according to the question. I don't see how semantics monograph doesn't have to be on the first shelf based on the conditional question.

If H and P are on the same shelf, then automatically I know that V and F have to be in the next row. P, V, an S can't be together so they each take a different row. So S will have to be on the first shelf. W has to also be on the third. This is crazy !!

Any help would be appreciated
Last edited by LoveLife89 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Silver

Re: PT 37, Game 3

Post by mindarmed » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:33 am

Can you clarify with which questions you need assistance?

LoveLife89

Bronze

Post by LoveLife89 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:44 am

Wow. Didn't even realize. Question #18

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:14 am

LoveLife89 wrote:Wow. Didn't even realize. Question #18
Alright so, Q18 presents us with the scenario of H and P being on the same shelf.

If the HP block is on the second shelf, then we know that the top shelf must include F and W and can include either S or V, with the remaining variable being placed on the first shelf. We know this information because F must be on the same shelf as a novel, but, V cannot be on the same shelf as S.

If the HP block is on the third shelf, then we know that F, and subsequently V, must be on the second shelf. We also know that P and S cannot be on the same shelf, thus, S is placed on the first shelf and W is placed on the third shelf. This is a very difficult deduction to make in a short amount of time. But, I'd practice drawing out the hypothetical answers to these questions as it is apparent the LSAC is shifting towards more hypo-based logic games.

The commonality between these two scenarios is the presence of W on the third shelf, thus the credited answer choice is E.

LoveLife89

Bronze

Re: PT 37, Game 3, Q18

Post by LoveLife89 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 am

You are totally right. I read the rule wrong that F can only go with V. So with that in mind, I couldn't see how S could not be on the first shelf. I did it over this morning! Thank you!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”