PT 23 Logic Game 3

JohnV

PT 23 Logic Game 3

Postby JohnV » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:49 pm

I can't for the life of me figure out a simple way to diagram this game. I've been using the methods in Manhattan logic games and normally the grouping binary grouping would work except here it has an extra variable. Instead of just being "in-out" it's "1-2-out". Due to this their strategy doesn't work very well. I feel like this shouldn't be this hard for me but for some reason I just can't get something down for this one and I'm a little bit burnt out looking at it. Can anyone lend some advice for these types of games?

mindarmed

Re: PT 23 Logic Game 3

Postby mindarmed » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:03 am

In situations which I am uncertain of the diagram, I like to use the hypothetical situation given by the first question to start off solving the game. By applying the rules given, we can create a hypothetical situation to apply to subsequent questions.

In this situation, we are given the information that each team must include at least 1 researcher from group A and one researcher from group L. This is valuable information that we need to be mindful of as we evaluate the answer choices of the first question. After applying this parameter to the answer choices, we see that choice D is eliminated because T2 does not contain a member from group A.

Next, we apply the rule that F and S cannot be included on the same team, thereby eliminating answer choice B.
Next, we apply the rule that N and R cannot be included on the same team, thereby eliminating answer choice A.
Next, we apply the rule that if a team includes M, it includes neither R nor S, thereby eliminating answer choice C.

We are left with the hypothetical of:
T1: F, O, R
T2: J, N, S

Unfortunately, the best way to complete this game is through plug and chug.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:56 am

I suppose setting up hypotheticals from the beginning would had been a more efficient use of my time than what I ended up doing (twice, somehow a retake a week later yeilded no better results) than sitting there for ~3 minutes trying to figure out how I was going to diagram it.

foggynotion

Postby foggynotion » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:27 am

...trying to figure out how I was going to diagram it...

Do you mean, you weren't sure what kind of diagram to draw? Or did you mean, you weren't sure how to represent the clues?

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:51 am

foggynotion wrote:
...trying to figure out how I was going to diagram it...

Do you mean, you weren't sure what kind of diagram to draw? Or did you mean, you weren't sure how to represent the clues?

Not sure what kind of diagram to draw. Usually I have ready an easily set up table of some sort that neatly and accurately represents all the rules from which I can draw inferences. This one, however, makes it difficult because it strays from the binary grouping type (in/out; team1/team2) by adding in a third group (team1/team2/out).

VasaVasori

Postby VasaVasori » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:48 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”