October 2012 LSAT possible still? Or postpone to December?

carboncopyx

October 2012 LSAT possible still? Or postpone to December?

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:48 am

Hi all,

TLS newbie here and seeking some advice on when I should take the LSAT. Any insight into this process would be greatly appreciated.

About me: senior Economics major, 3.84 GPA, thought I would go into Consulting after college until I did an internship this summer for it and discovered it wasn't for me, now switching paths at the last minute and trying to apply to law school for fall 2013 after I graduate

I just took a diagnostic test cold and scored a 156. My ideal score would be 173+ for consideration at YHSCCN. I have the Logic Reasoning and Logic Games books from Powerscore and am also doing Velocity LSAT prep online right now.

I'm trying to find the right balance between scoring well and applying early enough in the cycle so as not to be disadvantaged by the rolling admissions system. The December LSAT would give me more time to prepare and yield a higher score, but I'd also be submitting my applications later. The October LSAT would allow me to apply once applications are being accepted in November, but at the risk of a lower LSAT score due to only having eight weeks to study for the test.

Thoughts?
Last edited by carboncopyx on Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

specialsnowflake

Re: October 2012 LSAT possible still? Or postpone to December?

Postby specialsnowflake » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:50 am

carboncopyx wrote:Hi all,

TLS newbie here and seeking some advice on when I should take the LSAT. Any insight into this process would be greatly appreciated.

About me: senior Economics major at Yale, 3.84 GPA, thought I would go into Consulting after college until I did an internship this summer for it and discovered it wasn't for me, now switching paths at the last minute and trying to apply to law school for fall 2013 after I graduate

I just took a diagnostic test cold and scored a 156. My ideal score would be 173+ for consideration at YHSCCN. I have the Logic Reasoning and Logic Games books from Powerscore and am also doing Velocity LSAT prep online right now.

I'm trying to find the right balance between scoring well and applying early enough in the cycle so as not to be disadvantaged by the rolling admissions system. The December LSAT would give me more time to prepare and yield a higher score, but I'd also be submitting my applications later. The October LSAT would allow me to apply once applications are being accepted in November, but at the risk of a lower LSAT score due to only having eight weeks to study for the test.

Thoughts?

i'd postpone. thats a lot of ground to make up in 8 weeks

bananashotgun

Postby bananashotgun » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:39 pm

you have until early september to register. I'd study hard for a couple weeks and see where you are and if you're not improving at the pace you want then don't register and wait till December. if you make major improvements and are prepping within a few points of your goal I'd register.

ccordero

Postby ccordero » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:23 pm

To OP -- this is off-topic, but can I ask why you didn't like Consulting?

I'm also an economics major student with a similar cumulative GPA and I'm aiming for a 173+ LSAT score, but I thought that I would work a year or two (perhaps in Consulting) before going into law school.

carboncopyx

Postby carboncopyx » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:57 pm

ccordero wrote:To OP -- this is off-topic, but can I ask why you didn't like Consulting?

I'm also an economics major student with a similar cumulative GPA and I'm aiming for a 173+ LSAT score, but I thought that I would work a year or two (perhaps in Consulting) before going into law school.

ccordero--

Most consulting jobs right out of college are a two-year commitment. I actually wouldn't mind doing it for one year after graduation, but two years seemed like an incredibly long commitment to something that I know I don't want to do for the rest of my life. I think consulting is great to hone your business intuition and gain exposure to a variety of how different industries operate, but the day-to-day life of a consultant revolves around a lot of Excel, database work, and making Powerpoint decks. I just can't really see myself doing it every day for two years of my life, especially when I already know that my eventual goal is to practice law. Thus, the two years in consulting would merely be putting distance between me and what I really want to do with my life. However, I still think consulting is a great industry to enter into after graduation, but I personally did not like it enough to want to commit two years after college to the job. I hope that helps, and best of luck with whatever path you end up choosing!

Postby 20130312 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:01 pm

You should take a shot at it. If you aren't ready, you can always cancel. FWIW, I started the beginning of August and took the October test last year. Went from a 157 diag to a 169 on the October administration.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”