Question about diagramming on LR

nosleeptillsuccess

Question about diagramming on LR

Postby nosleeptillsuccess » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:46 am

How do you know exactly when to diagram?? I know it's sort of a subjective question, but I find myself wasting a lot of time when diagramming some of these LR questions. Also, at times I find myself reading the entire stimulus then realizing that I SHOULD of diagrammed, so I'm forced to re read parts, or the entire stimulus.

Another issue : I sometimes use the wrong subject(or symbols) when diagramming because I haven't read the entire stimulus yet to realize what's essential and what's not... does anyone read the entire stimulus first then draw it out versus diagramming as you go??

Little confused on my approach to LR questions..I get a lot right, but I feel like I need a more mechanical approach..

Cerebro

Re: Question about diagramming on LR

Postby Cerebro » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:07 am

IMO, only diagram when it will help you answer the question more accurately and/or more quickly than without diagramming it.

This video compares two LSAT test takers. The guy on the right diagrams every question. The guy on the left only diagrams when necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:22 am

Cerebro wrote:This video compares two LSAT test takers. The guy on the right diagrams every question. The guy on the left only diagrams when necessary. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Cerebro wrote:IMO, only diagram when it will help you answer the question more accurately and/or more quickly than without diagramming it.

This video compares two LSAT test takers. The guy on the right diagrams every question. The guy on the left only diagrams when necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

Succinct and correct. Eloquent, even.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:49 pm

If it's a Must Be True, Soft Must be True Principle question, Sufficient, Parallel, or Flaw question with conditional language, diagram.

If there is only a single diagrammable statement, don't diagram.

Those are my two general rules of thumb.

VUSisterRayVU

Postby VUSisterRayVU » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:52 pm

If I read the Q and feel like I need to diagram, I'll diagram. Maybe it's not the optimum thing for efficiency but it works for me. I always diagram parallel reasoning Qs.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”