Assess me

lawman88

Assess me

Postby lawman88 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:15 am

I'm currently doing 55 minute sections and my averages (from 5 tests) are LR -13 (combined), LG -3, RC -3. Target score is 170+ in October and I have until then to focus on it entirely.

Having trouble with LR obviously. I read through the LRB a while back and I am doing a deep review of answers, but it just isn't clicking as fast as I'd like. What should my plan be? Is it realistic to reach my target by October on a timed test?

JohnV

Re: Assess me

Postby JohnV » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:36 am

lawman88 wrote:I'm currently doing 55 minute sections and my averages (from 5 tests) are LR -13 (combined), LG -3, RC -3. Target score is 170+ in October and I have until then to focus on it entirely.

Having trouble with LR obviously. I read through the LRB a while back and I am doing a deep review of answers, but it just isn't clicking as fast as I'd like. What should my plan be? Is it realistic to reach my target by October on a timed test?

Your plan should be to take in December or alternative sit out this next cycle and take sometime next year. I just don't think 2 months is enough to make those gains if you're shooting for 170+. I'm sure it has been done but if I were in your shoes there's no way I'd be considering October.

EDIT: Timed LG's are going to kill you at first, you're going to need time to devote to them to get use to it.

lawman88

Postby lawman88 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:43 am

thanks for your response. i feel like sitting for december is probably the best plan as well - too bad my life events dont agree; I would much rather just get it done in Oct if possible

Can anyone speak to resolving the timing issues, LR improvement, or the velocity LR online course? I'm willing to put in a ridiculous amount of work, I am just confused as to what the most efficient plan is at this point

TopHatToad

Postby TopHatToad » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:04 am

I'm inclined to agree with JohnV, but I'd also caution you that it's too early to throw in the towel. Mentally putting off your test date can do horrible things to your study ethic, even unconsciously.

Why 55 minutes? I like that you're not limiting yourself to the standard 35, but when one number is as arbitrary as the next, why not take your sections untimed? At least until you get your LR scores down, anyway. John's also right about the LG time crunch. At 55 minutes, the only mistakes you should be making there should be errors or misunderstandings (rather than clock issues), and you want to minimize them even further. Take about 30 seconds at the start of each game, breathe, and talk out the setup/clues/deductions in your head. Slowing your thought down to the pace of an inner monologue should help avoid silly mistakes at the outset, and the added efficiency may actually speed up your LG.

Now, I know you were asking mainly about LR, so I won't leave that out. If you're like my students, you "always seem to get them down to two and then pick the wrong one." If you're averaging a -6 in your LR sections, your grasp of the questions is pretty solid, but not perfect. Firstly, I hope you're reviewing all your old tests. It's a no-brainer, but one many people seem to miss anyway. When you test, circle each and every answer that gives you trouble, not just the ones you get wrong at the end. If you're uncertain about the question, there's a lesson to be learned from it. Look them all over afterwards, and ask yourself the following:

What attracted me to each answer?
What did I not like about each answer?
How do the answer choices compare to each other?

Walking yourself (sloooowly) through this debrief after each test is the best way to really digest the lessons you should be learning from them. After your efficiency untimed (or hell, 55 minutes) is significantly better, then you want to work on timing drills and speeding up your work product. But only then. Best of luck!

Ruthie

Postby Ruthie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:50 am

I would start taking your sections untimed and just working as fast as possible. Look at the clock and start monitoring how long they are taking you. Personally, if I spend forever on a set of problems, I get a worse score because I over analyze. This could be your problem too.

I'd start doing times drills (maybe one-three a day) to give you a more realistic look at your score and target your problem areas. Don't throw in the towel - you have three weeks until Oct. registration. If you start Sept and don't feel good, go for December!

Best of luck!

lawman88

Postby lawman88 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:48 pm

thanks just did a timed LG section and scored -2. LR will be the key determinate of my score I think..

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”