Help for a question

Help for a question

Postby ahri » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:08 pm

I'm hoping someone can explain preptest 36. section 3, #18 to me
specifically the last sentence in the stem because my book's answer explanation doesn't match up with my interpretation of the formal logic.

Re: Help for a question

Postby TylerJonesMPLS » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:51 pm

The last sentence in the stem is most of the passage/stimulus. So I wasn’t sure what you meant when you said it didn’t match up with your interp of the logic. So I’m just going to set out how I interpret the logic. I hope this helps.

If the goal is a society whose citizens are happy, then the principle in the first sentence is wrong.

[That wrong principle was that people should accept themselves, instead of being dissatisfied with their own abilities.]

So, if the goal is a society whose citizens are happy, then people should be dissatisfied with their own abilities instead of accepting themselves as they are. This is the Main Conclusion.

The argument for that Main Conclusion is:
If a person is genuinely happy, then he or she is pursuing personal excellence and is willing to undergo personal change. (That is, pursuing personal excellence AND being willing to undergo personal change are two necessary conditions of happiness, and happiness for the citizens of a society is the goal.)

The gap in the argument is that there is no connection between being dissatisfied with your own abilities and either of the two necessary conditions for happiness.

Answer Choice (B) fills in the gap: People are more likely to pursue personal excellence, if they are dissatisfied with themselves. (This is the contrapositive of the conditonal in (B).)

This is a really hard question.

First, the question assumes that accepting yourself and being dissatisfied with your own abilities are opposites. But most people would not assume that.

Second, the correct Answer Choice only mentions one of the necessary conditions, namely pursuing excellence, and the other necessary condition, being willing to undergo person change is not mentioned.

Third, the correct Answer Choice is the contrapositive of the conditional.

The nasty old tricksy LSAC strikes again!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”