Manhattan LR or LR Bible? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
archieg

New

Manhattan LR or LR Bible?

Post by archieg » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm finishing up the Logic Games Bible, and I'm looking ahead to Logical Reasoning.

I bought both the Bible and the Manhattan prep book, but I was wondering, which one would be better? According to Amazon.com reviews, the Manhattan prep book is far better to use by itself, but I just wanted some fellow LSAT takers'\preppers' advice as well.

Thanks!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Re: Manhattan LR or LR Bible?

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:27 pm

There's about a million threads that mention this but...

For formal logic, LR Bible is pretty credited. The "train" approach is really helpful in putting complex concepts simply. Assuming you have a decent foundation in LR though (say between -10 to -15 total on the test), I would say unequivocally that Manhattan LR is simply the BEST prep book for LR out there. I would say, for me, it outstrips the LGB as far as effectiveness as a resource. Ultimately, mileage will vary, but if you're shooting for 17x, Manhattan LR gets my endorsement.

mcs268

Bronze

Post by mcs268 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:07 pm

LR Bible is good for learning foundations (before you start taking tests). I'm going through manhattan LR now and it is amazing, but only because I've taken some tests before it and learning my weaknesses. I think manhattan is better for people who CAN hit 170+ (thus those who have taken practice tests - if you score above 170 with a diagnostic you are probably 180 set). That said, from scratch, it may be wasted. That's how I feel about it at least.

afitouri

New

Post by afitouri » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:18 pm

I have this same question. I have both the lr bible and the manhattan lr. Should I read the lr bible and then the manhattan lr? Should I read the lr bible, do some lsats, then read the manhattan one?

What has your experience taught you guys?

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:29 pm

afitouri wrote:I have this same question. I have both the lr bible and the manhattan lr. Should I read the lr bible and then the manhattan lr? Should I read the lr bible, do some lsats, then read the manhattan one?

What has your experience taught you guys?
I read the LRB but not Manhattan for my first take in June. In my retake prep, I reread the LRB, took a PT (no improvement from June) and then jumped into Manhattan. While the PT was frustrating, it was a decent measure of what areas still needed work.
I wouldn't take more than one. No sense in using up materials before you learn a couple of different methods and figure out which ones work best for you through drilling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”