Re: Discouraged

Postby dowu » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:03 am

Joeshan520 wrote:
theprophet89 wrote:
Joeshan520 wrote:I'm not saying he was stupid, I'm saying he was lazy which is a known fact to anyone acquainted with him. I guess some people are blessed with innate test taking ability.

So you're assuming that he was lazy based on what he told you/what you observed?

What I observed..good friend of mine. Happy for him but its just like I bust my ass and something just isn't clicking for me.

Fuck man. I am right there with you. I'm still in the low 160s and can't move past it. I don't know how to break through to 165+.

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:25 am

Joeshan520 wrote:What I observed..good friend of mine. Happy for him but its just like I bust my ass and something just isn't clicking for me.

That's because you are a different person than him. Don't be jealous, just figure out your own shit. I wasn't the best test taker, but I got a good score in the end, and I got a good scholarship.

Postby C_Koschier » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 am

Here is to hoping for all of us!

Postby TomThompson » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:21 am

LG are killing me still too. I've just started to come away from basic/advanced linear games dropping only one point or so.

However TLS has really helped me adjusting my expectations around both (a) how well I can do on the LSAT given enough hard work and preparation and (b)what constitutes a 'good', achievable score.

Postby Ruthie » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:46 am

180asBreath wrote:If you're getting thrown by LG's, you just aren't doing enough of them. When you finally start doing them frequently enough for practice, there will come a point where your brain shuts off and you do them on instinct.

Good luck.

This. I am still working on LG, but it is all about repetition. The more you do it, the easier it becomes. As for timing, LG is the only section I skip around in. You have to be so conscious of time, so save the worst one for last, while trying to conserve time on the easier ones.

Yeah, LSAT blows any self esteem you ever had. I got so irritated with it yesterday, I started looking at career websites. My LSAT performance is making me see that I need a strong plan B :(

Postby 180asBreath » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:39 am

Joeshan520 wrote:I think the fastest perfect game ive done is like 8-10 minutes and it was a balanced linear. 4 in 20 minutes is absolutely insane.

Early in my prep, I remember reading someone saying they finished an LG in 15-20 minutes and I couldn't believe it. I wasn't regularly finishing sections that quickly (usually 29-32 minutes with a few in the mid 20's), but on "game-day" I was so intensely focused that I absolutely flew threw them (to my detriment, as it turned out).

To those who advise picking the easy games first, I completely disagree and this method really hurt me on my first sitting for the exam. First off, it's difficult to know which ones are truly the easy ones. Secondly, it's time-consuming; you may take up time that would've been spent on finishing a question before time runs out. Lastly, which really hurt me, since I didn't finish the first couple games quickly (it took me about 17 to finish them) - I started freaking out, thinking there was no way I'd finish the two hard ones in time.

I strongly recommend becoming strong at all games and just do them in order.

You know the saying, "I wish that I knew what I know now when I was younger"? The one thing is that we need to stop "gaming" and looking for tricks. If I had spent half the time I dedicated to tricks and tips to understanding argumentation and actually learning the exam, I would have done far better on the day of the test.

Lucky for me, there are retakes; so now I know what I know now as a younger version of myself, in terms of taking the LSAT. Haha!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”