Foolproof way to ID scenarios and get all rules?

jared6180

Foolproof way to ID scenarios and get all rules?

Postby jared6180 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:39 am

Are there any proven ways to determine when and how many scenarios are needed? I am working through BP online and sometimes it is obvious to me that I will have 2,3 or 4 scenarios, and other times I completely miss it.

Also I have a habit of skipping the 3rd or 4th rule when there are 5 or more rules. Then I get to the first question after doing a bunch of work and realize my work is not complete. I am not sure why I do this, but sometimes I do it and sometimes I don't! Today I started numbering each rule and I hope that helps

Re: Foolproof way to ID scenarios and get all rules?

Postby 05062014 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:11 pm

I still sometimes misread rules, especially rules that dictate "x comes sometime before/after y". As far as missing rules entirely, I stopped doing that once I crossed out rules that I wrote out at the bottom of the page. I also improved my accuracy on the first Q of games by completely crossing out incorrect "complete and accurate list" answer choices. I recommend trying that... Maybe not completely crossing out the initial rules, but marking them such that you can tell which rules remain

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:46 am

abdistotle wrote:I still sometimes misread rules, especially rules that dictate "x comes sometime before/after y". As far as missing rules entirely, I stopped doing that once I crossed out rules that I wrote out at the bottom of the page. I also improved my accuracy on the first Q of games by completely crossing out incorrect "complete and accurate list" answer choices. I recommend trying that... Maybe not completely crossing out the initial rules, but marking them such that you can tell which rules remain

I like the second part of this, the crossing out incorrect answers on "complete and accurate list" questions ... sometimes I find myself having only crossed off the letter part of the answer choice, and going back and wasting precious seconds seeing if any of the rules apply to choices I've already crossed off.

In on this thread because I want scenario advice as well.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:29 am

most of the time scenario one and two seem to make sense, but beyond that I really struggle. Someone told me this is the math part of the LSAT to see if you understand all the steps to get from one scenario to another, and apply all the rules to all the scenarios and come up with the answers.

the other big problem I have is trying to fill in all the positions and realizing 3-5 minutes into it that I don't have to know all the positions for the questions.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:35 pm

jared6180 wrote:Are there any proven ways to determine when and how many scenarios are needed? I am working through BP online and sometimes it is obvious to me that I will have 2,3 or 4 scenarios, and other times I completely miss it.

Also I have a habit of skipping the 3rd or 4th rule when there are 5 or more rules. Then I get to the first question after doing a bunch of work and realize my work is not complete. I am not sure why I do this, but sometimes I do it and sometimes I don't! Today I started numbering each rule and I hope that helps

The entire Logic Game clinic is designed to help you spot when you should make scenarios, and how to generate them. So that should help nail this down for you. However, the general rule is that if you have a single player/block of players that can only go in a few spots (2-3, maybe 4) or a single slot that's very constrained (only 2-3, maybe 4 players can go in there), then you make scenarios with all the possibilities. You should be taking just one rule (or one rule combo/deduction) and trying out the 2-3 (sometimes 4) possibilities. If you can't do that, scenarios aren't right for that question. If you do that, you'll have 'skeletons' for each possibility the game can take.

As far as missing a rule, I always number the rules before I start writing them out for that reason. Also, don't forget step 5(?) - double check the rules. Do it every time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”