"..passage is primarily concerned with assessing:" in RC

IgosduIkana

"..passage is primarily concerned with assessing:" in RC

Postby IgosduIkana » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:02 pm

This question is regarding 26-4-14, in a passage about the dying off of bottlenose dolphins.

Is this question asking us for the main point of the reading comprehension passage? Or is it instead asking what the passage assesses at some point of the passage?

I'm not entirely sure - in this instance the the passage doesn't seem to revolve around the correct answer. Also, it does assess the correct answer, but the passage also seems to assess all of the incorrect answers. Any ideas on this?

rinkrat19

Re: "..passage is primarily concerned with assessing:" in RC

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 pm

THe main point of the passage is to assess something. What is it assessing? Not the conclusion that the passage eventually comes to, but the overall issue that it discusses. (Like..."whether or not Smith is an example of postmodernist painter," not the conclusion "no, Smith was not postmodernist.")

IgosduIkana

Postby IgosduIkana » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:26 am

aaah, I see what you're pointing out. So it's not asking for the conclusion of the passage, but rather what the passage is concerning...what a fine, fine distinction. Not the main point of the passage, but what the argument considers on the way to positing its main point.

Thanks for the help!

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:06 pm

yeah, what is the passage talking about. The main point.

DH from velocity put it best when he said for MP RC questions, the answer is usually if you turned to someone and said "I just read a passage about blank"

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Br3v wrote:yeah, what is the passage talking about. The main point.

No, not the main point. The main topic. If I write about whether we should require an individual health care mandate and conclude that we should, my topic (what I'm assessing) is whether we should require an individual health care mandate. My main point is (probably) that we should.

Here's a trick: when you see "this passage is primarily concerned with assessing," follow it with a "whether." That means, "what is the passage about?" not "what does the passage conclude?"

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:37 pm

Verity wrote:
Br3v wrote:yeah, what is the passage talking about. The main point.

No, not the main point. The main topic. If I write about whether we should require an individual health care mandate and conclude that we should, my topic (what I'm assessing) is whether we should require an individual health care mandate. My main point is (probably) that we should.

Here's a trick: when you see "this passage is primarily concerned with assessing," follow it with a "whether." That means, "what is the passage about?" not "what does the passage conclude?"

yeah sorry just a vocab issue. The conclusion is certainly the main point, not the main topic. It addresses the issue raised in the main topic.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”