LG Advice

tino1317

LG Advice

Postby tino1317 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:26 pm

Taking the test in October and have been working on LG exclusively for the last 3 weeks. Im getting anywhere between 0-3 wrong total on any given 35min timed section from the PT's. Whats frustrating is the questions I'm getting wrong are just simple oversights 98% of the time. For example, one question from PT 53 was a could be true for variables X and Y and I read it as X and V, since in the rules they have a relation. Now the question was very simple and I soon as I was going for the answers I knew what I had done. Obviously I need to just read more carefully but has anyone else had a similar problem? Not so much that I'm not capable of doing the games but just minor oversights that add up. I normally finish any given games section right at or before the 35min mark so I never really have any time to go back and check, and even if I did I'm not sure I would go back to check problems that I was sure I got right and would probably check some of the questions I thought were harder. I'm still working on getting my speed up but I really want to consistently get -0 on games since I know i wont be able to do that on LR/RC. Any tips on eliminating silly mistakes?

JohnV

Re: LG Advice

Postby JohnV » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:32 pm

I've done the exact same thing "reading Y as V or vice versa" at least once or twice. A lot (most) of my mistakes tend to be these kinds of small oversights. I don't think there's anything you can do besides getting better at them so you will have more time to devote to careful reading. Just going to take time and practice.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:31 pm

Stupid mistakes like this account for probably 80% of the questions I get wrong on LG. It's frustrating, but I haven't been able to really tackle this problem because I'm overall not very comfortable with the section. Like you, I generally finish right at the buzzer. My hope is that, over the next two months, I'll have a breakthrough and get more competent (a number of friends and acquaintances have reported having this kind of epiphany, so it doesn't seem *that* farfetched to me...), which will enable me to feel less rushed. My theory is that I will be less apt to misread if I'm not pushing so hard to get through it all.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:48 pm

You're in a good position if your mistakes are just the silly kind. It's hard to target silly mistakes with any other advice than "read more carefully," but one thing you can do is drill more. Once you have the mechanics of LG down as well as you do, it's a matter of practice to be able to drill your way into finishing them in 30 minutes or less. This will give you a couple spare minutes to do things like check over your diagrams to make sure you've interpreted all the rules correctly, and take a few extra seconds to make sure you've understood question stems. So, as usual: drill baby, drill!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”