Timed vs Untimed Scores

Charlie.Home

Timed vs Untimed Scores

Postby Charlie.Home » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:56 pm

I took my first ever untimed PT today and scored 175 (LR: -4 combined, LG: -0, RC: -4). -8 overall.
My average PT is a 163, which for this test is -23,-24. I am usually very rushed at the end of a section, but answer all questions or quess on 1.

How do you think I can move closer to my untimed score? I took maybe an extra 10-15mins/section. I have taken about 10 timed test which is where the 163 average, and I have read 1/2 of Manhattan and 1/2 of Powerscore Bibles as well as taking the Testmasters course.

Thanks for the advice.

Re: Timed vs Untimed Scores

Postby 052220151 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:33 pm

If you are averaging a 163, taking an untimed test seems like a waste of a PT. Only do timed from here on out. Finish your books and drill. Keep banging out PTs and your score will go up.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:34 pm

Charlie.Home wrote:I took my first ever untimed PT today and scored 175 (LR: -4 combined, LG: -0, RC: -4). -8 overall.
My average PT is a 163, which for this test is -23,-24. I am usually very rushed at the end of a section, but answer all questions or quess on 1.

How do you think I can move closer to my untimed score? I took maybe an extra 10-15mins/section. I have taken about 10 timed test which is where the 163 average, and I have read 1/2 of Manhattan and 1/2 of Powerscore Bibles as well as taking the Testmasters course.

Thanks for the advice.

The bolded part makes me suspicious. What's your accuracy rate like on these rushed questions? Are you hurting yourself by rushing near the end of a section?

The general answer is to speed up gradually. If it takes you about 45-50 minutes to nail a section right now, you're probably not going to jump down to 35 minutes instantly. Try making it a consistent 45 minutes. Then 42 minutes. Then 40 minutes. Then 38 minutes. Then 35 minutes.

Of course, how you bring that time down gradually depends a lot on what's taking the time right now. What is it that you do to improve your accuracy when you're untimed that you don't do when you're timed? Is there any way of doing that, but doing it faster? Is there anything else that you're doing that doesn't improve your accuracy that's adding to your time?

Of course, the answers to these questions will vary by section.

Charlie.Home

Postby Charlie.Home » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 pm

@tomwatts your rhetorical questions are very helpful, got me asking myself some important questions.

On rushed questions, my accuracy is definitely compromised. This only occurs on LR & RC passages, and I usually rush to finish and may guess on a question.

The last five questions on LR and the last RC passage that I read are almost always my worst. Granted, these LR questions are more difficult... But I usually ace them untimed. When I do an untimed RC, the main difference (compared to timed) is that I pause more frequently and take my time to consider what I just read and how the passage fits together, and I spend a few more time considering wrong answer choices in depth before eliminating them. On LR... I just don't have enough time I still need to pinpoint where I can cut out time.

I took another untimed test today, and went -3 LR, -1 RC, 0 LG. 178 compared to average 163 timed. I didn't take the sections back to back, so that probably inflated my score too.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:11 pm

Not a fan of any untimed LSAT study except WAY early on...even then maybe

shepson

Postby shepson » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Harpin' on this here, but a big part of what the LSAT tests is your ability to answer complex questions in a short period of time. Doing things untimed isn't going to help you. Just practice practice practice doing real, timed tests, going back through them when you're done, understanding why you got questions right and why you got them wrong. Its the only way.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Br3v wrote:Not a fan of any untimed LSAT study except WAY early on...even then maybe

this

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”