Just starting LSAT prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nooblaw12

New

Just starting LSAT prep

Post by nooblaw12 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I am just starting my LSAT prep and planning on taking the February LSAT. I've already done a cold diagnostic and received a 146 (room for A LOT of improvement). Other than that, I haven't done anything. Should I start my LSAT prep with a general LSAT book (Kaplan, Princeton Review etc.) and then ease my way into the specific sections through the PowerScore bibles? Or is it better to start strong with a specific section and master each section this way? I'm worried that the PowerScore books won't be as useful to me because I am rather new to the LSAT.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Nova

Platinum

Re: Just starting LSAT prep

Post by Nova » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:57 pm

IMO, you should read Powerscore/Manhattan cover to cover first. Then drill/pt and reference the guides as necessary.

You are planning to be class of 2017, right?

nooblaw12

New

Post by nooblaw12 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:03 am

Yes, class of 2017 is the current plan. Thank you for your reply! Do you think it's necessary to buy both Manhattan and PowerScore? I've heard PowerScore works well for LR and LG and Manhattan for RC. Also, do you think it's better to work on the LSAT section by section (ie read LG bible and work on LG sections) or work on the LSAT as a whole (read all the guides and take entire PTs)?

nooblaw12

New

Post by nooblaw12 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:14 am

Also, I want to note that I will be working full-time. Therefore, I will generally only have evenings and weekends available. I'm trying to figure out the best strategy for me to tackle the LSAT.

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:24 am

+1 to Powerscore and Manhattan. If you're not taking till February, it's worth it to invest in both (if you must choose, Powerscore for LG and Manhattan for RC, not sure which is better for LR).

If you're working full time, make sure to set up a regular study schedule that you can stick to. Since you have weekends available, you're going to want to start off studying in ~4 hour blocks on those days, if you can afford the time. It helps get you in the rhythm of thinking in long chunks early on.

Work on each section for a little while before you start moving on to taking PTs. Since it is so far away, you run the risk of running out of materials, so you want to start taking them when you have a basic handle on how each section works before you start working on PTs as a whole. (You don't have to do this for TOO long, just until you have a pretty good accuracy rate on the drills in the books.)

Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CorkBoard

Gold

Post by CorkBoard » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:07 am

Run through PS and Manhattan (Manhattan is better, IMO). Get a study schedule down either on your own or from LSATblog.

And drill, drill, drill.

nooblaw12

New

Post by nooblaw12 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:29 am

Are their drilling exercises provided in the Manhattan and PowerScore books? or do you mean drill on sections from the prep tests? Sorry, I just ordered these books on Amazon so I don't have a copy yet!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”