October 2012 LSAT Timeline

October 2012 LSAT Timeline

Postby DLA » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:44 am

Hi everyone,

I've been studying since June but haven't been as focused as I'd like to be. I took the summer off to just study but looks like we're close to fall term already and much needs to be done. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate help with. But first, an over view:

1. I have finished the Powerscore LG Bible but still make many errors on the preptests and practice questions (~7)
2. I am more or less done with the LR basics. Making many errors (~13 counting from both sections)
3. Did really well on the RC on the first preptest that I took (-1) and haven't practiced much since then. However, now losing points along the lines of ~5 on preptests.
4. First prep test score: 150 (July 1st week). Took another last night - 160 (to be honest though, I had done one of the LG questions during my prep).
5. Aim: 175+ (trust me, with my GPA, I will need it)
6. Using the TestMasters Online prep course.

What do TLS-ers think? Should I go ahead with my study and take the test in October? Its just that come September, classes will start and I have to look for a new as well as retain my old job. Is it doable? Does the December 2012 sound like a better deal? Its just that if I am consistent and can work my way over the course of august, I would like to take the test in October. Of course, if it is suicide then I'd rather take it in December. Not a fan of retaking - can't afford to further weaken my application.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

*really worried*

Re: October 2012 LSAT Timeline

Postby 2014 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:35 am

If your goal is 175+, which by all means it should be, you would have to bust your ass to get there from 150-160 by October. I would plan to take it in December and if that test doesn't turn out how you hoped retake in June and apply in 2013.

Re: October 2012 LSAT Timeline

Postby cahwc12 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:40 am

I don't think a 175 is realistic for October for you given that information. You can get there, but it seems that you're just beginning your journey toward an elite score.

Analyze your mistakes and look at which game types in particular are giving you trouble. Also, which LR types are giving you trouble? Use that information to drill questions and games of that type specifically until it becomes a strength, not a weakness.

For RC, a few different tutors have told me that it's common for some people to start out scoring extremely well in RC, but as they begin to prep LR and learn to think more logically, their scores begin to dip. In RC, you want to read critically and closely and pay attention to word or tonal distortions. But you don't need to question everything you read with an eye for logical flaws. That's not what the section tests, but when you prep LR you begin to read everything with that eye. This may not be the case for you, but it might be.

I think a solid prep plan and a December target would be better for you, but realize that if you miff December, your 2nd chance will be February, which is pretty late in the cycle and many scholarship opportunities will already have been decided. A 175 in February will look far better than a 165 in October or even 170 in December, so take it when you feel you can achieve that score. But just know that it's not the end of the world if you have to wait an additional year to reap the benefits of a top score once you attain it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”