Call it RC improvement, or not?

wanderlust

Call it RC improvement, or not?

Postby wanderlust » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:36 am

Today I re-do a passage that I did three months ago. Back then, I finished the passage in 10 minutes or so, missing one or two questions.

Now, I can finish in less than 8 minutes, not missing a single question.

But I am very aware when I re-do the passage, I can recall the directions that the passage goes and the points that later show up in question.

It's so frustrating. I haven't burnt through my RC stash, but I'm worried that it might happen if I continue with my current approach. I reviewed each RC passage thoroughly: re-underline the passage, review each answer choice etc. Probably because I reviewed too much, I nearly remember everything, which renders re-do meaningless.

How can I make RC redo a useful exercise ?

Thanks in advance for any input!
Last edited by wanderlust on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ninetails

Re: Call it RC improvement, or not?

Postby ninetails » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:49 am

Last edited by ninetails on Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EstherG

Postby EstherG » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:53 am

It sounds like you may already be doing this, but I've been keeping track of how I score on everything I reuse. Usually I know how I did the first time, so keeping track of this lets me see how much improvement is typical for passages I've seen before, and I can see if I've done unusually well for a repeat passage.

You might also try circling the correct answers before looking at the passage, and then going through the passage and trying to write out exactly why the correct answer is right and what makes the others wrong. I found that this helps me understand the differences between each answer choice and I can recognize these differences more easily on other passages.

Hope that's helpful!

admisionquestion

Postby admisionquestion » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 pm

2 things:

1. Don't overdo RC prep. Being super well prepped you still might make an error and miss something. If your not missing anything and finishing with time to spare, I wouldnt touch RC except when doing full length practice tests.

2. You likely are remembering reading it before. BUT keep in mind the "this is familiar" feeling is also what your going for when practicing RC. Its not like your learning how to read better--your learning how to read THE LSAT better.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”