Need advice on how to improve LR

poppy

Need advice on how to improve LR

Postby poppy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:47 pm

I've been studying since the beginning of June now and have poured over all the PowerScore Bibles and several other books, including Manhattan for LR. I've now focused my time and energy on doing practice tests.

However, I feel like I still haven't completely mastered the Logical Reasoning section, as it has proven the most difficult one. The amount of questions I miss range anywhere from 1 to 4,and rarely 5. A lot of the times I've narrowed it down to two answer choices and I second guess myself and end up picking the wrong one. The thing is that I understand why the wrong answer is wrong and why the right answer is right and I know how to get to the right answer, but I still keep making mistakes.

Here in Puerto Rico there aren't any courses except for Kaplan and I really don't want to take a course when I just want to focus on LR. Now I found the PowerScore Advanced LR online course and was wondering if anyone has tried it? Is it worth the money? Are there any other recommended books or courses I should read or take?

d0rklord

Re: Need advice on how to improve LR

Postby d0rklord » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:32 pm

have you considered: http://www.velocitylsat.com/online-course?

The courses are online.. and you can just buy the LR one :)

Voco90

Postby Voco90 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:39 pm

+1 for Velocity's LR course (and, more specifically, the videos contained within the course). That + the powerscore LR bible should help.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:17 pm

Also, is there a particular question type that is tripping you up? Try going through your PTs and loading them into a spreadsheet and finding any commonalities. If it's one type that's doing the most damage, you could spend your time drilling that type to see the patterns.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:34 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Also, is there a particular question type that is tripping you up? Try going through your PTs and loading them into a spreadsheet and finding any commonalities. If it's one type that's doing the most damage, you could spend your time drilling that type to see the patterns.

totally agree...

then you can use this:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ls ... sheet.html

:)

I actually sorted it by TYPE (rather than test) so i could drill better!

heebie-jeebies

Postby heebie-jeebies » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:58 pm

d0rklord wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Also, is there a particular question type that is tripping you up? Try going through your PTs and loading them into a spreadsheet and finding any commonalities. If it's one type that's doing the most damage, you could spend your time drilling that type to see the patterns.

totally agree...

then you can use this:

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ls ... sheet.html

:)

I actually sorted it by TYPE (rather than test) so i could drill better!

This is also a good resource: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108425 ;)

I've started using a lap timer to keep track of how much time I'm spending on each question when I do timing practice (press the button on my lap timer after completing each question, then go back and get the time for each "lap" (question) and incorporate review of this data during the review process). Thus, I flag for improvement not just the types that I often miss, but also those types that take longer than I think they should.

beautyistruth

Postby beautyistruth » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:14 pm

Is that 1-5 per individual section, or both sections combined?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”