Coming back to the LSAT ...could use some motto.

jvaugh57

Coming back to the LSAT ...could use some motto.

Postby jvaugh57 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:23 pm

After being laid off from my job I decided to jump headlong into LSAT and spend countless hours every day pouring over LSAT materials until I willed my way to a 180. I spent nearly 10 months doing this and, though I PT'ing in the upper 150's, I choked and got a 153. Looking back on it now I did several things wrong. I initially started working with a private LSAT tutor, but after a few months, I didn't see much improvement. One of the advantages of going with one of the bigger companies is they have a well-spelled out methodolgy in their workbooks and, usually, a curriculum with more structure. I did some research and decided on Blueprint the Movie 2.0. I went through the course and, for the most part, kept up with the lessons. I saw a gradual increase in my scores; I like their format. Then, however, things kind of stagnated. I should mention that I was also intermittently meeting with a my tutor (mixing methodologies) and randomly working on different things for several hours a day (usually 6-8 hours/6 days a week).

I burned myself out. I exhausted most of the materials (except test 63 on). I got kind of confused switching between LSAT tutor and Blueprint workbooks. I put off my worst subject, reading comp, until the end.

Now that I'm facing a cold, icy death on the Law School waitlist it's time to get back to studying and follow my dream. There's been a good 9 months period where I've not done anything LSAT related. Additonally I'm working full-time, but I think this might be a benefit. When is started I was under the misguided notion that more time spent spinning my wheels with LSAT prep material equated to an increase in scores. I think 2-3 hours of guided studying is adequate.

So that's my story. I hate when people ask questions that a) can't be answered b) they already know the answer to...but I'm curious if anyone has been in a situation similar to mine and had better results the second time around? Surely my 153 is not the best I can do--and possibly a product of me not having a solid game plan. I don't know if I'm capable of being a 180 a scorer, but I'm only really trying to get into the upper 160's.

I think I'm going back to Blueprint, and maybe seeking out their tutoring. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Has anyone taken an extended period off after total burn-out and returned and done much better the second time around?

am060459

Re: Coming back to the LSAT ...could use some motto.

Postby am060459 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:30 pm

I am also interested in people's input to your second question.

I took the LSAT back in 2010 twice and scored in the upper 150s on both occasions (to be clear, I was PT'ing in that range). I haven't touched the LSAT since then and am thinking about picking it up in the fall and shooting for upper 160s.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:51 pm

"You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't."

Postby 05062014 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:04 pm

“It’s a kind of spiritual snobbery that makes people think they can be happy without money.”

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:11 pm

I'm starting Blueprint this week too. Here's to your future 180 without burnout! Cheers! *rips off an angus young guitar solo*.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”