Where to start? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jfern466

New

Where to start?

Post by jfern466 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:00 pm

I originally wanted to hire a tutor to begin my preparation for the LSAT exam. After spending some time on the forums, I have realized that it may be a better idea to self study as much as possible and then when I feel I need to get an extra boost, hire a tutor.

What book or study material would you guys recommend to begin studying?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

cc.celina

Silver

Re: Where to start?

Post by cc.celina » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:31 pm

Powerscore Logic Games Bible for LG, will leave other people to recommend for LR and RC since I didn't use anything for either, but I think consensus is that Manhattan is the way to go if you are aiming for 170+. A lot of PTs. The usual. Browsing these forums will turn up a lot of topics just like this one with pretty much identical recommendations.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:37 pm

I used Powerscore bibles, although the reading comp isn't that great. Kaplan 180 pushes you, but beware, Kaplan generally makes up questions that are not totally similar to real test questions. That can throw you off.

Try to use as much official stuff from LSAC as possible. Buy a bunch of real preptests, and start with the older ones, untimed, just to work on accuracy. Once you are getting the hang of it, start taking preptests under timed conditions. Get used to timing. Buy as many preptests as you can and work on them in chronological order. If you still need help, a tutor might be worth it.

And come back to TLS to ask us questions if you get stuck.

A.Taarabt7

Bronze

Post by A.Taarabt7 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:55 am

Verity wrote:I used Powerscore bibles, although the reading comp isn't that great. Kaplan 180 pushes you, but beware, Kaplan generally makes up questions that are not totally similar to real test questions. That can throw you off.

Try to use as much official stuff from LSAC as possible. Buy a bunch of real preptests, and start with the older ones, untimed, just to work on accuracy. Once you are getting the hang of it, start taking preptests under timed conditions. Get used to timing. Buy as many preptests as you can and work on them in chronological order. If you still need help, a tutor might be worth it.

Hello I am in the same situation, I have the Powerscore bibles but am considering going to my local Barnes & Nobles to buy a LSAT prep book. Which one would u recommend is the best for Oct & Dec? Manhattan or another company?

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:26 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
Verity wrote:I used Powerscore bibles, although the reading comp isn't that great. Kaplan 180 pushes you, but beware, Kaplan generally makes up questions that are not totally similar to real test questions. That can throw you off.

Hello I am in the same situation, I have the Powerscore bibles but am considering going to my local Barnes & Nobles to buy a LSAT prep book. Which one would u recommend is the best for Oct & Dec? Manhattan or another company?
The Powerscore LG teaches you a system for handling the logic games, and it's far superior to anything I've seen. In fact it's probably indispensable. Their LR bible is also terrific. If you're looking for a comprehensive workbook, start with The Official LSAT SuperPrep. A Kaplan book might also serve you well, but I think it's better after you get the Powerscore method down cold.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”