Skipping First Diagnostic

Joeshan520

Skipping First Diagnostic

Postby Joeshan520 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:03 pm

I am enrolled in a Blueprint Course and chose to skip the first diagnostic and save for a later date. I'd like input on my reasons for doing so.

1) Discouragement. A first diagnostic score on a test with limited to no previous exposure serves as nothing but discouragement. Sure it can be humbling, but why not learn the test before taking it timed? It would be similar to giving one a Spanish Exam with no previous exposure to the language academically or socially.

2) Save the PT. I know that I'll need to take as many PTs as possible to attain an optimal score. Why not have one more to add to the collection?

Thoughts?

Nova

Re: Skipping First Diagnostic

Postby Nova » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:17 pm

IMO, good idea. Your diag will be much more telling after learning the basics and building a foundation.

JetsFan1990

Postby JetsFan1990 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:20 pm

Nova wrote:IMO, good idea. Your diag will be much more telling after learning the basics and building a foundation.

Agreed.

TERS

Postby TERS » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:42 pm

Agree with your approach, LSAT vs. Spanish exam comparison not so much.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:45 pm

I never diag'd. I think the one thing you might miss out on is knowing whether there was a specific area that you need a lot more help in than the others. However, your abilities in each section are probably more telling after learning the basics anyway. I.e. I was really good at LG, but since it's the strangest, I probably would've had the most missed questions in that type,which would have been misleading.

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:12 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:I never diag'd. I think the one thing you might miss out on is knowing whether there was a specific area that you need a lot more help in than the others. However, your abilities in each section are probably more telling after learning the basics anyway. I.e. I was really good at LG, but since it's the strangest, I probably would've had the most missed questions in that type,which would have been misleading.

Agree with this, but blindly guessing on questions and getting them "right" is different then actually knowing how to do them. That's why if I take an exam after the first few weeks of the course and get questions wrong at least I know what my legitimate weaknesses are.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:15 pm

I forwent a diagnostic so I could actually learn the material first. I just didn't see the point in taking a test that would measure my comprehension of material I hadn't learned yet -- so I think you're making the right decision.

rshehadeh9091

Postby rshehadeh9091 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Agreed as well. I'm currently taking a prep course too and did the same thing.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:37 pm

idk anything about blueprint, but keep in mind many use the diagnostic as part of a money back guarantee to raise your score. By opting out of the diag, your opting out of any chance of a refund (which many will do even if you raise your score).

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Joeshan520 wrote:I am enrolled in a Blueprint Course and chose to skip the first diagnostic and save for a later date. I'd like input on my reasons for doing so.

1) Discouragement. A first diagnostic score on a test with limited to no previous exposure serves as nothing but discouragement. Sure it can be humbling, but why not learn the test before taking it timed? It would be similar to giving one a Spanish Exam with no previous exposure to the language academically or socially.

2) Save the PT. I know that I'll need to take as many PTs as possible to attain an optimal score. Why not have one more to add to the collection?

Thoughts?

Def a smart move.

Joeshan520

Postby Joeshan520 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:idk anything about blueprint, but keep in mind many use the diagnostic as part of a money back guarantee to raise your score. By opting out of the diag, your opting out of any chance of a refund (which many will do even if you raise your score).

There are no money back guarantees for blueprint. I think that only exists for Kaplan. They have a prorated discount for people who have taken the course already but all that requires is purchasing the course.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”