Logic Games, Chapter 2.... I Feel Screwed....

archieg

Logic Games, Chapter 2.... I Feel Screwed....

Postby archieg » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:13 am

Hello, folks. I decided to start studying for the LSAT, and after my research, decided to tackle the Logic Games Bibles, and then the Manhattan prep books, with plenty of old practice tests in between.

On the Logic Games Bible, I was doing great; I was learning the Not Laws, and getting a grasp on that way of thinking that the LSATs require. I think.

By the end of Chapter 2, I did the 6 games that they had; I did well on the first couple, but the last 2 were just ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to get through.

Needless to say, I'm kinda nervous. I only got 1 question right on that last one.....

What should I do? Apart from going over them to understand them better, it feels like everytime I go over a game and understand it, a harder one comes up. lol

Can I continue on even if I didn't do too well at these games?

Does the book keep teaching you and giving you tips on how to tackle these games?

I'm kinda scared, and I know some people will wave their heads or roll their eyes, but I'll appreciate ANY help I can get.

Thank you!

ninetails

Re: Logic Games, Chapter 2.... I Feel Screwed....

Postby ninetails » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:25 am

Last edited by ninetails on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:14 am

ninetails wrote:I took the actual LSAT. No problems on LG. BUT i'm retaking and did one of the LG sections today that I somehow missed. Got very flustered. Finished 100%. This happened many times in my original prep. My biggest tip is that the questions that seem the hardest are often the easiest, you need to rethink and possibly look through all the answer choices first. Also I never used the powerscore or manhattan or anyone else methods they seem very time consuming and freak me out. That doesn't mean they aren't invaluable for some (if not most) people. But if they freak you out you are not necessarily screwed it's possible you can use your own brain work and I think building up confidence on LG can make a big difference.

Just try to remember OP that even if they're tough now, you have time to get better at them. Don't get frustrated (that's my problem) and keep chipping away at them. Look at the explanations and re-read them 10 times if necessary; you'll get it sooner or later.

This is coming from a guy whose LG is by far the worst section by the way.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Go to a local book store and browse the Manhattan LG book... I feel like it's much more "friendly" :)

Practice makes perfect. Don't worry. Everyone has to work hard to succeed. Very very very few people pick up the LSAT and go, ahh.. that's easy!

Mik Ekim

Postby Mik Ekim » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:47 pm

I think it's pretty much a given that everyone who studies logic games has had, at some point, the feelings that you are having now -- of course, it goes without saying (though I'll say it anyway) that it's how you deal with the challenge that will determine your outcome --

Here are a couple of thoughts that I hope might be helpful --

1) Getting a games question right isn't a matter of getting one correct thought, or doing one thing right--it's a consequence of having done about a dozen things right (understood the layout of the game, understood the rules correctly, inferred correctly, read question stem correctly, etc). It's completely understandable that, at this point, you are not going to be expert at doing these dozen things right consistently. You are going to need to build up your games skills and habits first --

I think it's really important to think about and review each game in terms of very specific "correct" steps you need to take, and it makes sense to habitually think about these steps in an order that matches your real-time thought process--"Do I know exactly how to recognize this type of game?" "Do I know exactly how to lay out this type of game?" "Am I able to anticipate the type of rules I might see, and do I have systems for notating these rules?" etc. Get in the habit of thinking about each game in these terms, and I think two things will be true--1) when you have trouble with games, it will become much more clear-cut as to why and 2) partially as a consequence of that, you'll be able to make improvements much faster when you think about your work in terms of small, clear, orderly steps.

2) There is a great deal of overlap between game types. As you go on and learn about other games, you will naturally become stronger at games in general. I think it's a great idea to cycle back through games that you've learned, and if you haven't already, you may want to think about building that into your study schedule. I think it's a very good sign you were comfortable with many of the games you've seen already and, with a bit of extra practice, it's likely that when you cycle back to this stuff you were working on, the games will seem much easier than they did initially --

Hope that's helpful and good luck.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 pm

Bro, logic games is like any science or math. Let's say programming. You can't program at all without learning a language. After you learn the language, then you can tackle the real challenges. Nobody is born knowing C++.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”