First sample LSAT 150, should I even consider law school?

colstats

First sample LSAT 150, should I even consider law school?

Postby colstats » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:23 pm

I took the sample June LSAT from LSAC.org today. I got 150, that is 60 in raw score. I TOOK THIS UNTIMED just to see how well I can do.

Score break down
Section I: (AR) -2
Section II: (LR) -13
Section III: (LR) -12
Section IV: (RC) -13

My questions: I want to go to top 15, otherwise, I won't go. Should I even consider law school in that case? If I should, where should I start? PowerScore? It's not thick like my stat books, I am worried I'll finish it very soon, then run out of material with a low score.

Rest of my profile:
Undergraduate
GPA: 3.27
Major: Statistics B.S.

Graduate
GPA:3.47
Major: Statistics M.S.(in progress)

Seems like people with top 15 have: 3.7GPA, 170 LSAT. So, I guess I am dreaming?
Should I take more undergrad classes to boost 3.27 GPA? What are your experiences or similar experiences that you've encounter?

Edit: I was admitted to grad school without undergrad diploma, meaning I did not confer undergrad degree.
Last edited by colstats on Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PeanutsNJam

Re: First sample LSAT 150, should I even consider law school?

Postby PeanutsNJam » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:28 pm

IDK other people may tell you I'm wrong, but I think you have a shot at T14 if you get 170+ on your LSAT. If you get 176+, then you have a shot at T6. I have no experience, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Do well on the LSAT.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:30 pm

I may be wrong, but I don't believe you can boost your UGPA after the degree has been awarded.

To your other question, there is definitely a possibility you can make a t14 school. Check out PithyPike's Guide:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

It's legit. Remember that you can ask questions if you ever need help.

Good luck!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Once your first undergrad degree is conferred, that GPA is set in stone. You can't change it now with more classes.

Your GPA will only lock you out of the tippy-top schools--not even all of the T14.

However, an untimed LSAT is pretty useless for diagnostic purposes. Until they've prepped enough to get under 35 minutes easily on every section, pretty much everyone would score significantly higher with more time.

A 30-point improvement on the LSAT is possible (if rare), 20 points is reasonable with focused study, and 10 points is common.
Check out Pithypike's study plan at the top of this forum.

drive4showLSAT4dough

Postby drive4showLSAT4dough » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:33 pm

Your first LSAT has little bearing on either your ability to beat the LSAT or your ability to do well in law school. The LSAT is a learnable test. Smart studying can get you about 160, or even above 170.

Start with Pithypike's Guide: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:34 pm

colstats wrote:I took the sample June LSAT from LSAC.org today. I got 150, that is 60 in raw score. I took this untimed just to see how well I can do.

Score break down
Section I: (AR) -2
Section II: (LR) -13
Section III: (LR) -12
Section IV: (RC) -13

My questions: I want to go to top 15, otherwise, I won't go. Should I even consider law school in that case?

Rest of my profile:
Undergraduate
GPA: 3.27
Major: Statistics B.S.

Graduate
GPA:3.47
Major: Statistics M.S.(in progress)

Seems like people with top 15 have: 3.7GPA, 170 LSAT. So, I guess I am dreaming?
Should I take more undergrad classes to boost 3.27 GPA? What are you experiences or similar experiences that you've encounter?

Your UGPA is done, you cannot change it once the degree has been awarded, so classes would be a waste of time. As for LSAT, you've only taken one practice test so don't give up yet. Follow Pithypike's guide, study your ass off, aim high, and come back with a score. And aim for T14, with a 170+ you probably have a shot at snagging one.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Lol @ all the PithyPike's guide references :lol:

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:39 pm

150 is a fine starting point. That's still better than over 40% of test takers. I diagnosed around 150 and increased my score about 20 points. It took hundreds of hours, but it was worth it. Many TLSers have similar stories of prepping from the 140s into 160s and beyond.

colstats

Postby colstats » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:01 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Once your first undergrad degree is conferred, that GPA is set in stone. You can't change it now with more classes.

I started grad school without conferring my undergrad degree. My grad and undergrad are different school.

I have still taken undergrad courses in grad school.
Last edited by colstats on Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madvillain

Postby madvillain » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Your GPA is going to hurt, but there is potential for you to increase your score up to a 165 or higher. I myself got a 159 on my first practice test and then ended up scoring 175+ on the real thing. If you were theoretically to score a 170 then I believe a lower T14 could be in play (Northwestern?) Besides reading comp, which can be a crap shoot, the LSAT can be learned and eventually aced given enough practice. However there are of course other reasons that could make law school not the greatest idea for you. I would suggest writing the test at least once just to see how you do.

heebie-jeebies

Postby heebie-jeebies » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:24 pm

colstats wrote:Edit: I was admitted to grad school without undergrad diploma, meaning I did not confer undergrad degree.

If you don't have your undergraduate degree yet, then you can probably improve your GPA if you are able to take courses at your undergrad institution. I don't know if the undergrad grade point units/credits that you've taken at the other school would be counted toward your LSAT GPA through, unless you are able to get those transfered back to your UG institution.

But...

Focus on doing well on the LSAT first, and then worry about whether or not you will have a high enough score to get into your target school after you have a real score. It would be a mistake to prematurely decide not to do something on a basis of a diagnostic test, the score for which is meaningless to anyone besides yourself.

Regarding your fear about running out of material, if you set practice tests aside and have a plan for how and when to use each one, then you shouldn't be worried about this. Also, you should try to think about ways to get additional value out of the questions that you've already answered.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Don't let one disappointing LSAT score prevent you from pursuing law if you really want to. (There are plenty of other things that can dissuade you -- a standardized test should not be one of them!) The other posters have given you some pretty solid advice. TLS is a great resource. The only way you will know how much you can improve is to start studying. So, good luck!

bbobby12

Postby bbobby12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:19 pm

You do have a chance of hitting the 170s. While schools do look at GPA, your LSAT score is the most important. There are also letter of recs and personal statement. Dont sell yourself short. All you can do right now is try to aim for 180. Once you get your score just take it from there

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:21 pm

Take a timed diagnostic. Untimed is worthless.

facile princeps

Postby facile princeps » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 am

rad lulz wrote:Take a timed diagnostic. Untimed is worthless.

Taking a timed test now before starting prep is unnecessary.

OP, now that you have attempted the test untimed and it has kicked your ass, take your time to pick apart why you got what you got wrong. Just start working your ass off prepping for the test. Get some study material like Power Score bibles and keep working on your accuracy. Once you're at a comfortable level of understanding the material, you can start focusing on time. You do not need to know what you would get in a timed test without preparation. It's an overrated recommendation.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:17 am

facile princeps wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Take a timed diagnostic. Untimed is worthless.

Taking a timed test now before starting prep is unnecessary.

OP, now that you have attempted the test untimed and it has kicked your ass, take your time to pick apart why you got what you got wrong. Just start working your ass off prepping for the test. Get some study material like Power Score bibles and keep working on your accuracy. Once you're at a comfortable level of understanding the material, you can start focusing on time. You do not need to know what you would get in a timed test without preparation. It's an overrated recommendation.

+1

Judging from your score breakdown, get the fuck on LR, STAT. Try Manhattan's LR guide as I hear it is the best, while Powerscore LR bible is also good. You should prob buy both and read cover to cover.

anonymouse2828

Postby anonymouse2828 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 am

as others have said, taking a "diagnostic" right now is useless... get to know the LSAT, how to approach it, and testing strategies on taking it.

Then, and only then, should you attempt a true diagnostic, and under timed conditions, like a real test.
Then, see where you're lacking, and go from there. do a TON of practice questions from past LSATs as well

What's your purpose for going to law school?
Why only T14?
Consider this: that if you score 160+, you can probably get a full ride from a local TTT/TTTT.

come back after you've done some reading/studying/and have taken a real diagnostic.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”