Study 2 months take October or wait till December...

MGH1989

Study 2 months take October or wait till December...

Postby MGH1989 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 am

mind you I am deadest on fall 2013 admission. My class load isn't strenuous mind you, so I can devote a good amount of time to studying during the semester.

Nova

Re: Study 2 months take October or wait till December...

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:20 am

How much prep have you done? What are you practice testing at? What is your target score?

Perhaps you should prep like you are taking it in Oct till Sept 4th (deadline to sign up with out late fee) and then reevaluate whether you will be ready in another month.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:57 am

Agree with Nova. No harm in studying now and deferring if you're not PTing where you wanna be.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:58 am

Nova wrote:How much prep have you done? What are you practice testing at? What is your target score?

Perhaps you should prep like you are taking it in Oct till Sept 4th (deadline to sign up with out late fee) and then reevaluate whether you will be ready in another month.

Zero. I guess its really a matter of do I want a better LSAT score which taking the December LSAT would undoubtedly give me, vs being able to send in applications early.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:04 am

Well, you still have a while. I only prepped for about 3.5 weeks and hit my target score. You might surprise yourself with how much you'll improve. It's possible that you could have the score you want AND apply early. Cake + eating it is the way to go if you can

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:21 pm

Do the schools you want to apply tell you if they average or not? Some schools outright do not average and will only consider your top score (however, they see both) so it may be in your best interest to take Oct. and Dec. regardless.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:45 pm

JohnV wrote:Do the schools you want to apply tell you if they average or not? Some NEARLY ALL, IF NOT ALL, schools do not average and will only consider your top score (however, they see both) so it may be in your best interest to take Oct. and Dec. regardless.

Averaging would be too detrimental to a school's ability to game USNWR. No one wants to handicap themselves agaisnt the rest of the field.
Last edited by Nova on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmart154

Postby jmart154 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:46 pm

You have two and a half months. Why not study now with the mindset of writing in October? Regardless of whether or not you have a relatively easy term in the fall, it is easier to study when you know there is absolutely nothing else term-work wise you have to focus on.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:47 pm

Regardless, if you're not scoring at a range that will get you into the schools you want to go to, it seems a bit silly to apply before a solid score in Dec, right? Out of concern that they ding you on the basis of the lower score before you retake? I'm just a 0L though so this might be incorrect.

But yeah study now. LITERALLY no downside.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:53 pm

IMO, If you are below the medians,
a few more LSAT points >> Applying around Thanksgiving

If you apply and tell them you are retaking, they will likely just set your app to the side.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Nova wrote:
JohnV wrote:Do the schools you want to apply tell you if they average or not? Some NEARLY ALL, IF NOT ALL, schools do not average and will only consider your top score (however, they see both) so it may be in your best interest to take Oct. and Dec. regardless.

Averaging would be too detrimental to a school's ability to game USNWR. No one wants to handicap themselves agaisnt the rest of the field.

For reporting purposes I'm sure they all take just the top score. There seems to be some debate as to whether the average score is still viewed when deciding among candidates, although it would seem that the "hollistic" and averaging strategies some schools claim to take would be counter-intuitive and serves more a rhetorical benefit than a practical one, so it's probably true that no one really averages.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:42 pm

JohnV wrote:
Nova wrote:

For reporting purposes I'm sure they all take just the top score. There seems to be some debate as to whether the average score is still viewed when deciding among candidates, although it would seem that the "hollistic" and averaging strategies some schools claim to take would be counter-intuitive and serves more a rhetorical benefit than a practical one, so it's probably true that no one really averages.

I agree. In the end, I would rather have a 165->172 than a single 171. How much better a single 172 is than a 165->172, idk. I suspect not much. So yeah, taking both is credited if OP feels ready for Oct. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=181170

Personally, I planned on taking Oct '11 but was not ready. I decided to wait, and Im glad I did. My cycle went as well as I could have expected. Of course, Ill never know how much better it would have been had I applied before Christmas.

MGH1989

Postby MGH1989 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Appreciate the advice from everyone who chimed in. Will play it by ear and study for Oct and see where I am before I have to make any financial commitment.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:20 pm

cc.celina wrote:Agree with Nova. No harm in studying now and deferring if you're not PTing where you wanna be.

MikeTZ

Postby MikeTZ » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:54 pm

when u apply using the oct score, it gives u a better chance at getting in a better school. early applicants may receive a scholarship too since there are so many spots open. the longer you wait (like feb or june), the fewer spots, the harder it gets. applying in oct gives u a better chance a better school, one that might not have accepted u in dec or feb

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”