how does society view the lsat?

hopper123

Re: how does society view the lsat?

Postby hopper123 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:26 pm

Big Dog wrote:
30 MCAT would be 160 LSAT (75th percentile scores).

Uh, not necessarily. Any 2.7 gpa can take the lsat, and many do. Any 2.7 science gpa could take the mcat, but few do.

Uh, quite a few 2.7s take the mcat, do horribly, go carribean/abroad and come back to pass their usmles. If they pass their usmles (on first try), chances are decent they'll become doctors because there is a shortage. Go to your local hospitals and youll find at least one who went to a Ross. They arent very different either. They just sucked at undergrad.

TERS wrote:
romothesavior wrote:LOL @ anyone who thinks the LSAT is harder or even remotely close to the MCAT.

LOL at people who compare the two

To the both of you: have you earned a science degree in biology/engineering/chem/math/phys? If not, the mcat will look wildly strange and difficult to you. If you have an aversion Or distaste towards science, for some strange reason youll treat those who earned those degrees with some mild regard and look at any science test as too difficult therefore worthy of respect.

Ive met quite a few bio kids who pissed on the law, thought the lsat would be a walk in the park, and realized later that it kicked them in the ass. Go look up some md jds too. Notice that they might get into a med school, meaning theydid ok on the mcat, but went to a ttt law school. And they didnt choose the ttt over t14 because it was cheaper. They simply couldnt get in.

The mcat, as seen by premeds, is easier than the lsat. These kids have had years of basic science, coursework that is tested on the mcat. Also, I remember a lot of science kids being baffled by logic rules. It took a while for most of them (except math kids) to see that a necessary true doesnt imply a sufficient true.

And for anyone who scored a 165 or above, I really think they can dominate subjects like orgo, and if they are not math averse, then easily breeze through the basics of science, enough to earn them a good mcat score and probably better (perentile wise) than their lsat score as the mcat is a lot more learnable than the lsat.

westie25

Postby westie25 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:29 pm

abdistotle wrote: I also think I am pretty special.

Please, oh...please, say this exact sentence to the first judge you encounter. It will make the world oh so very happy.

P.S. Please invite all of us so we can LOL for real.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Nova wrote:OP: Image

Seacow: Image

Love.

abdistotle wrote:I have a realistic attitude. I also think I am pretty special. Not like a superhero or something, just that I have been gifted with an ability to self-motivate myself no matter the situation. I have been told this by a majority of the people that know me well.

That's right OP, you are special, just like everyone else.

ilovelawtays

Postby ilovelawtays » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:13 pm

1. Don't ever tell chicks that you tore your ACL playing badminton.

2. "You're right, studying for a test with three different sections all loosely based on your ability to think rationally is just as hard, if not harder, than a test based in several scientific subjects and verbal reasoning and a writing sample, " said no sane person ever.

I for one am very pleased I'm not jonesing to be a doctor. Required courses for 4 years of school and 3 years of less than minimum wage earnings? Pass.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:19 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:1. Don't ever tell chicks that you tore your ACL playing badminton.

2. "You're right, studying for a test with three different sections all loosely based on your ability to think rationally is just as hard, if not harder, than a test based in several scientific subjects and verbal reasoning and a writing sample, " said no sane person ever.

I for one am very pleased I'm not jonesing to be a doctor. Required courses for 4 years of school and 3 years of less than minimum wage earnings? Pass.

Between that and this, I have decided you are pretty cool. Keep doing what you do

ilovelawtays

Postby ilovelawtays » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:32 pm

cc.celina wrote:
ilovelawtays wrote:1. Don't ever tell chicks that you tore your ACL playing badminton.

Between that and this, I have decided you are pretty cool. Keep doing what you do

My first two posts here were some of my best interneting ever.

I wish the LSAT factored in interneting. I'd probably get closer to your astonishing 178. <3

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:36 pm

cool

seacow

Postby seacow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Nova wrote:OP: Image

Seacow: Image

This is my new avatar.

And yes, and a white knight indeed. This guy deserves it. You guys are being major d-bags.

Your sense of self-entitlement is getting to be quite off-putting, though, OP.

And whoever asked me and OP the d-bag question "what are your practice scores (so i can evaluate your worth and judge whether I should consider your input)?" 164 in June but was PT'ing higher so I'm retaking. Is that good enough, d-bag?

D-bag ville.

seacow

Postby seacow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:11 pm

By the way: is this what law school is like, self-entitled d-bags getting called d-bags by pompous, ivory tower d-bags who actually think that when they call people a d-bag they are not themselves a d-bag?

If so, law school will suck.

Oh man, that last part means I'm now a d-bag too. :cry:

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:16 pm

seacow wrote:By the way: is this what law school is like, self-entitled d-bags getting called d-bags by pompous, ivory tower d-bags who actually think that when they call people a d-bag they are not themselves a d-bag?

You're a fucking douche bag

Colonel Angus

Postby Colonel Angus » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:19 pm

sundance95 wrote:cool

Story

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:20 pm

Colonel Angus wrote:

Story

bros

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:21 pm

Colonel Angus wrote:

Story

never was a better 180th post. 180

seacow

Postby seacow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:22 pm

sundance95 wrote:
seacow wrote:By the way: is this what law school is like, self-entitled d-bags getting called d-bags by pompous, ivory tower d-bags who actually think that when they call people a d-bag they are not themselves a d-bag?

The white knight is a d-bag now too? Perhaps we're overusing this term.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:26 pm

seacow wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Yr the only one using d-bag, chief

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:26 pm

seacow wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:26 pm

This thread was entertaining but needs to end now

edit: scooped

seacow

Postby seacow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:28 pm

OK, you're right. I'm not fit enough for d-bag world.

Eliyahu7

Postby Eliyahu7 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:42 pm

Most people don't care about the LSAT, and lawyers are statistically the most hated creature on the planet.

That being said, study your ass off for it, and look towards a rewarding career.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:56 pm

No real input, just wanted to try out the new image I made today.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:02 am

TheWeeIceMon

Postby TheWeeIceMon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:17 am

hopper123 wrote:
Big Dog wrote:
30 MCAT would be 160 LSAT (75th percentile scores).

Uh, not necessarily. Any 2.7 gpa can take the lsat, and many do. Any 2.7 science gpa could take the mcat, but few do.

Uh, quite a few 2.7s take the mcat, do horribly, go carribean/abroad and come back to pass their usmles. If they pass their usmles (on first try), chances are decent they'll become doctors because there is a shortage. Go to your local hospitals and youll find at least one who went to a Ross. They arent very different either. They just sucked at undergrad.

TERS wrote:
romothesavior wrote:LOL @ anyone who thinks the LSAT is harder or even remotely close to the MCAT.

LOL at people who compare the two

To the both of you: have you earned a science degree in biology/engineering/chem/math/phys? If not, the mcat will look wildly strange and difficult to you. If you have an aversion Or distaste towards science, for some strange reason youll treat those who earned those degrees with some mild regard and look at any science test as too difficult therefore worthy of respect.

Ive met quite a few bio kids who pissed on the law, thought the lsat would be a walk in the park, and realized later that it kicked them in the ass. Go look up some md jds too. Notice that they might get into a med school, meaning theydid ok on the mcat, but went to a ttt law school. And they didnt choose the ttt over t14 because it was cheaper. They simply couldnt get in. The mcat, as seen by premeds, is easier than the lsat. These kids have had years of basic science, coursework that is tested on the mcat. Also, I remember a lot of science kids being baffled by logic rules. It took a while for most of them (except math kids) to see that a necessary true doesnt imply a sufficient true.

And for anyone who scored a 165 or above, I really think they can dominate subjects like orgo, and if they are not math averse, then easily breeze through the basics of science, enough to earn them a good mcat score and probably better (perentile wise) than their lsat score as the mcat is a lot more learnable than the lsat.

Are you just pulling this stuff out of your ass? So you're saying that pre-law students can dominate the MCAT/science classes, but the LSAT is beyond the intellectual capacity of pre-med students?

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:11 am

cahwc12 wrote:Don't worry about any of that shit and study to make or exceed your target score. All of this extra crap you're talking about is exactly that.

Also in my opinion the MCAT is far more difficult than the LSAT, and I don't think you understand or appreciate just how difficult the MCAT is if you talk about it like that. You can consider most of the concepts of mathematics and science to be "rote memorization" but that doesn't make them easily apprehended.

Rather than brag or boast or care about what other people think about your LSAT studies, shut up and don't talk to them about it and just study for your score.

Having taken both the MCATs and the LSATs and having done well on both, the LSAT required much more preparation for me (~ a full month of study v. 2 weeks for the MCAT). The MCAT in the end boils down to formulas (easily memorized), organic chemistry reactions (easily memorized) and reading comprehension.

Regarding the OP's question, I see something completely different. When I told people I was taking the LSAT, a good majority of them responded with, "I'm pretty sure I would do well on that." o_O I believe some professors that say this, but it seems odd that in my area people think its easy to do well (170+) on the LSAT.

[Edit] I should specify - the LSAT prep was a full month of 12 hours of prep per day. The MCAT prep was about 4 hours per day for 2 weeks.
[Edit 2] I saw another post about science GPAs. For the record, my science GPA is about a 2.6-2.7. Cumulative is 3.1-3.2

ilovelawtays

Postby ilovelawtays » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:48 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:Don't worry about any of that shit and study to make or exceed your target score. All of this extra crap you're talking about is exactly that.

Also in my opinion the MCAT is far more difficult than the LSAT, and I don't think you understand or appreciate just how difficult the MCAT is if you talk about it like that. You can consider most of the concepts of mathematics and science to be "rote memorization" but that doesn't make them easily apprehended.

Rather than brag or boast or care about what other people think about your LSAT studies, shut up and don't talk to them about it and just study for your score.

Having taken both the MCATs and the LSATs and having done well on both, the LSAT required much more preparation for me (~ a full month of study v. 2 weeks for the MCAT). The MCAT in the end boils down to formulas (easily memorized), organic chemistry reactions (easily memorized) and reading comprehension.

Regarding the OP's question, I see something completely different. When I told people I was taking the LSAT, a good majority of them responded with, "I'm pretty sure I would do well on that." o_O I believe some professors that say this, but it seems odd that in my area people think its easy to do well (170+) on the LSAT.

[Edit] I should specify - the LSAT prep was a full month of 12 hours of prep per day. The MCAT prep was about 4 hours per day for 2 weeks.
[Edit 2] I saw another post about science GPAs. For the record, my science GPA is about a 2.6-2.7. Cumulative is 3.1-3.2

2 weeks plus the year or so you spent taking bio, chem, physics, and o-chem.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:52 am

I have nothing substantive to add, I just want to share. have a friend who's been studying to take both the MCAT and the LSAT for the past four years. I have no idea what her practice test scores are, but she perceives them both to be insurmountable obstacles and never took an actual exam. It's really weird, like seriously study for it or move on with your life.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”