how does society view the lsat? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Bronze

Re: how does society view the lsat?

Post by 05062014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Oh well if you're putting in effort to LSAT studying, there's no way you won't achieve your goal. This plan B talk was condescending and unreasonable.
Dude. thank you.

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:18 pm

If what a couple doctors think about the LSAT scares you, you're overreacting. It is an unpleasant speed bump on your way to law school, that is all.
abdistotle wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Oh well if you're putting in effort to LSAT studying, there's no way you won't achieve your goal. This plan B talk was condescending and unreasonable.
Dude. thank you.
This was sarcasm. Get a plan B bro.

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Having a fallback plan outside of lsat prep is unrealistic as the worst case scenario after multiple retakes seems to still leave me in good footing for a career in law. I am a realist and I know effort has paid off and will continue to pay off. I may sound cocky or confident, or whatever but I believe one has a right to defend his or her pursuits if they are willing to work hard and have worked hard.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:23 pm

cc.celina wrote:you're overreacting.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:23 pm

http://collider.com/wp-content/image-ba ... alm_01.jpg

Actually, wish you nothing but luck OP.

But Dude wut, Yeah.... this thread I don't

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:31 pm

abdistotle wrote:Having a fallback plan outside of lsat prep is unrealistic as the worst case scenario after multiple retakes seems to still leave me in good footing for a career in law. I am a realist and I know effort has paid off and will continue to pay off. I may sound cocky or confident, or whatever but I believe one has a right to defend his or her pursuits if they are willing to work hard and have worked hard.
The LSAT is by far not the only factor that will determine your success in law. There are plenty of opportunities to fuck up along the way. A confident person would believe in their ability to succeed but would understand that while law may seem like their ideal career as a 0L, it is not guaranteed to work out for them. You may fail all your exams in law school or just straight up not like practicing law. Being prepared is not unrealistic, it's smart. Work on it. Since random internet strangers can have only so much influence on your life plan, this is all I'm going to say. Good luck on your LSAT.

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:39 pm

cc.celina wrote: The LSAT is by far not the only factor that will determine your success in law. There are plenty of opportunities to fuck up along the way. A confident person would believe in their ability to succeed but would understand that while law may seem like their ideal career as a 0L, it is not guaranteed to work out for them. You may fail all your exams in law school or just straight up not like practicing law. Being prepared is not unrealistic, it's smart. Work on it. Since random internet strangers can have only so much influence on your life plan, this is all I'm going to say. Good luck on your LSAT.
I will meet those hurdles as they come. I did not plan to tear my ACL in a badminton tournament for a 2nd time on a different knee (after the first was repaired), have issues at home, break up with my girl, etc. I am smart in that I fully appreciate what it takes to succeed. I can account for the possibility of failure when it happens because I trust myself to find a way no matter what, as I have done in the past. Right now, it is smart to be prepared for the LSAT. Juggling preparations for contradicting life paths is counter intuitive and downright distracting for my main pursuit right now which is this exam.
Last edited by 05062014 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:53 pm

abdistotle wrote:
cc.celina wrote: The LSAT is by far not the only factor that will determine your success in law. There are plenty of opportunities to fuck up along the way. A confident person would believe in their ability to succeed but would understand that while law may seem like their ideal career as a 0L, it is not guaranteed to work out for them. You may fail all your exams in law school or just straight up not like practicing law. Being prepared is not unrealistic, it's smart. Work on it. Since random internet strangers can have only so much influence on your life plan, this is all I'm going to say. Good luck on your LSAT.
I will meet those hurdles as they come. I did not plan to tear my ACL in a badminton tournament for a 2nd time on a different knee (after the first was repaired), have issues at home, break up with my girl, etc. I am smart in that I fully appreciate what it takes to succeed. I can account for the possibility of failure when it happens because I trust myself to find a way no matter what, as I have done in the past. Right now, it is smart to be prepared for the LSAT. Juggling preparations for contradicting life paths is counter intuitive and downright distracting for my main pursuit right now which is this exam. Celina what will you do with your life if your family falls apart?

seacow

New

Post by seacow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:02 pm

OP, your posters are being major d-bags in their responses, but they're right.

You can never try too hard with something and you can never want something too bad, but if you don't have the right attitude in your approach, your efforts and desire to do well can and will get in the way.

I speak from experience. I kind of lost perspective my first time through. I scored ~8 points below my average.

-

Look at the people who do really well on the LSAT or the athletes that consistently prevail under pressure, they have an attitude you should emulate. In many ways, the 180ers are no smarter than you, they just perform better. They perform better because they are not trying to be great; they are doing what they practiced and letting everything fall into place. Being great is not something you can really control; you have to have luck along the way. Do what you think is right and trying your absolutely f'ing best. But don't let this thing consume you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:03 pm

I should have said those things I did not plan on happening happened right before I started studying for the LSAT and they have not stopped me thus far. I think a Plan B could be nice but it would just dilute my motivations to study right now. I think one cannot relate to this view unless they have gone through hurdles before and improved from them

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 pm

seacow wrote:OP, your posters are being major d-bags in their responses, but they're right.

You can never try too hard with something and you can never want something too bad, but if you don't have the right attitude in your approach, your efforts and desire to do well can and will get in the way.

I speak from experience. I kind of lost perspective my first time through. I scored ~8 points below my average.

-

Look at the people who do really well on the LSAT or the athletes that consistently prevail under pressure, they have an attitude you should emulate. In many ways, the 180ers are no smarter than you, they just perform better. They perform better because they are not trying to be great; they are doing what they practiced and letting everything fall into place. Being great is not something you can really control; you have to have luck along the way. Do what you think is right and trying your absolutely f'ing best. But don't let this thing consume you.
The thing is, I have prevailed under pressure before. You're right though about the fine line between success and obsession though- if I am understanding you correctly. I have not exercised in a few days (since my finger has stitches in it currently, lol) but that usually keeps me from stressing and just focusing on performing well. I have taken a holistic approach to lsat prep and it has paid dividends. I truly believe a few mistakes currently separate me from an amazing score, but that means nothing until I get results.

Staying grounded is key though, no doubt about that.

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:13 pm

You sound very self-entitled and ignorant and you're attempting to defend your honor as an anonymous internet user on an anonymous internet user message board.

Consider using this message board for what it is--LSAT prep.

This has nothing to do with LSAT prep at all. Go study, drill and take PTs. If you have any questions or need LSAT-related help, there are so many people on there who would jump at the chance to help you.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:14 pm

abdistotle wrote:
seacow wrote:OP, your posters are being major d-bags in their responses, but they're right.

-

The thing is, I have prevailed under pressure before. You're right though about the fine line between success and obsession though- if I am understanding you correctly. I have not exercised in a few days (since my finger has stitches in it currently, lol) but that usually keeps me from stressing and just focusing on performing well. I have taken a holistic approach to lsat prep and it has paid dividends. I truly believe a few mistakes currently separate me from an amazing score, but that means nothing until I get results.

From reading the forums, anxiety is the thing that really does people in. If you can prep and work on minimizing anxiety, which you may have already been doing, you will be ahead of the game. People talk about not being able to think for the first few minutes of the test and having brain freeze. I believe that if people could focus on dealing with anxiety while they prep, they will help themselves on the exam.

One thing though, you realize the doctor may have just been having a conversation to distract you while she worked? I don't think she meant you to take it as an important insight to your future.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

seacow

New

Post by seacow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Why is everyone such a d-bag? It's obvious this dude just wants to do really well on the LSAT.

Everyone is right but don't you think your message will get through clearer if you reason with him?

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:19 pm

cahwc12 wrote:You sound very self-entitled and ignorant and you're attempting to defend your honor as an anonymous internet user on an anonymous internet user message board.

This has nothing to do with LSAT prep at all. Go study, drill and take PTs. If you have any questions or need LSAT-related help, there are so many people on there who would jump at the chance to help you.
Not sure if serious. Have you read this message board? It isn't particularly amenable to being policed for content. You are right that people are always willing to help with questions though. I thought OP was asking a question.

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:21 pm

cahwc12 wrote:You sound very self-entitled and ignorant and you're attempting to defend your honor as an anonymous internet user on an anonymous internet user message board.

I am one of those people who jumps at the chance to help people on these boards.
LSAT prep is more than drilling and taking PT's btw, so thanks for the advice. This thread was to help me with the hope that people could relate. It may have been small talk but the small talk adds up and is a distraction. These are forums meant for general discussion. As someone prepping, my experiences with conversations based on my prepping in real life seem applicable, although you may disagree.

If you found this thread distracting to your studies, you should have ignored it. How you perceive me is misguided and you sharing your opinion of how you perceive me does no one any good.

cc.celina

Silver

Post by cc.celina » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:21 pm

seacow wrote:Why is everyone such a d-bag? It's obvious this dude just wants to do really well on the LSAT.

Everyone is right but don't you think your message will get through clearer if you reason with him?
Sorry, I didn't think I was being a d bag =/ OP if I seemed angry I apologize, it is hard to disagree with someone over the internet without being read that way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:22 pm

this thread continues to deliver.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:24 pm

FWIW OP, I think you will do well on the LSAT and render this entire thread moot.

seacow

New

Post by seacow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:26 pm

abdistotle wrote:

-

You will never recreate those first few moments of the real thing. You need to work on your anxiety issues not by learning how to cope with it, you need to have a wholesale revision to your mindset. It seems like you are really setting yourself up for a score that disappoints you very much. Anxiety and stress will get to you and your raw score will be lower by 5/6 questions as a result.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _be_great/

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:28 pm

sunynp wrote:FWIW OP, I think you will do well on the LSAT and render this entire thread moot.
Thank you. I use anything I can to self-motivate these days. This thread gave me more than enough to work with, lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seacow

New

Post by seacow » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:29 pm

cc.celina wrote:
seacow wrote:Why is everyone such a d-bag? It's obvious this dude just wants to do really well on the LSAT.

Sorry, I didn't think I was being a d bag =/ OP if I seemed angry I apologize, it is hard to disagree with someone over the internet without being read that way.
I wasn't talking about you, cc.

"why are most people acting like d-bags?"*

FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:34 pm

didn't read OP past first paragraph. just go study for the LSAT

Bronze

Post by 05062014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:35 pm

seacow wrote:
You will never recreate those first few moments of the real thing. You need to work on your anxiety issues not by learning how to cope with it, you need to have a wholesale revision to your mindset. It seems like you are really setting yourself up for a score that disappoints you very much. Anxiety and stress will get to you and your raw score will be lower by 5/6 questions as a result.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... _be_great/
I am not walking in there on oct 6th cocky or ignorant of what I will be facing. I know I have and will continue to put the time in. There is luck involved in doing well on the LSAT, but I know adequate prep, the possibility to retake, and the fact that the skills necessary to do well are becoming second nature gives me a good shot at performing well. Anxiety issues are best dealt with by putting yourself through more rigorous and pressure filled situations. I do that in my home gym experimenting with new forms of cardio, in badminton and kick boxing tournaments in the past, etc. How well this translates into an academic setting I don't know. What I do know is that thinking about ways of not to freak out will probably make things worse for me personally. I have not had anxiety issues before and will take precautions to stay as calm as possible on test day. I can't say what will happen until it happens though. We'll see

hopper123

New

Post by hopper123 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Again I think a premed major would have a harder time grtting a 160+. Gen chem, orgo, and all that jazz isnt difficult. In fact most of these bio kids would get owned in philosophy. Yes I think grasping logical skills is much harder than memorizing bio crap, solving gen chem questions and physics questions at the mcat level, and doing orgo. I dont know why people hold science at the mcat lvl in such high regard. The lsat requires a lot more investment ie outside studying regardless of major. The mcat is there to see whether your school taught you how to read and do basic-BASIC science.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”