Feeling a little overwhelmed by soooo much material!!!

MissJenna

Feeling a little overwhelmed by soooo much material!!!

Postby MissJenna » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:54 pm

I just purchased the Manhattan books. I really have so much freaking material (PS books, kaplan, all my TM books, tons of notes from my TM class, prep tests galore, some PR books, & other books but this what I can think of at the top of my head) that I really, really feel overwhelmed.

I just don't know if I should go back and forth between books depending on the section I'm working on, etc.?

Do you think any books take priority over other ones when it comes to specific sections??

Sometimes I feel like less material might have been better & the only reasons I purchased the Manhattan books on top of it is because how people raved about them specifically for RC and LR.

My bedroom and car literally look like an LSAT book store.

TERS

Re: Feeling a little overwhelmed by soooo much material!!!

Postby TERS » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:02 pm

If I were in your position, I would start with the LR and LG Bibles and practice exams. If you're not where you want to be in one month with these, look at more material.

There's a tendency for people to think buying and passively reading a bunch of books is productive. Don't be one of these people. Seriously. Maybe your best bet is to take a bunch of practice exams, isolate your weak sections/question types, and go from there...

MissJenna

Postby MissJenna » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:12 pm

TERS wrote:If I were in your position, I would start with the LR and LG Bibles and practice exams. If you're not where you want to be in one month with these, look at more material.

There's a tendency for people to think buying and passively reading a bunch of books is productive. Don't be one of these people. Seriously. Maybe your best bet is to take a bunch of practice exams, isolate your weak sections/question types, and go from there...

That's EXACTLY why I've been hesitating to add the Manhattan books to my collection........I don't want to be 1 of those people even though I think i already am.

I agree.....I need to re-read the bibles. It's been a while.

Mick Haller

Postby Mick Haller » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:13 pm

wait till you see the bar exam. instead of learning 3 topics it will be 15+. in 2 months.

MissJenna

Postby MissJenna » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:20 pm

Mick Haller wrote:wait till you see the bar exam. instead of learning 3 topics it will be 15+. in 2 months.

Lol...yeah I know. I'm just trying to take it 1 step at a time.

rshehadeh9091

Postby rshehadeh9091 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:37 am

I agree with TERS advice; "it" (borrowed language! j/k :mrgreen: ) could easily work for you. Another suggestion would be the following (seeing as it seems you have previous experience with lsat prepping):

Take the knowledge you have in all three sections - as of this very moment you are reading this - and start fresh from here. First, take the three Manhattan books you have, all the preptests you have, put them on your bed (as these will be your materials), and put every other book you have, for now, in your closet. I don't know anything about you or your capabilities, but I am willing to bet that you can easily dominate the manhattan books now (I started with them - as I am doing their class). These books and their system--it's very learnable. So, start by doing LR ch.1 and 2 and LG ch. 1 and 2, RC ch. 1 and 2, during next week, etc... come up with a good strategy for attacking them. Then, utilitize the information on these forums concerning which PT LR and LG sections are what, in other words, some of the forums have broken down and listed the different types of games and reasoning questions, so go through them for more practice after each section in your books (ie, in LG after you finish ch. 2 on ordering, go through some ordering practice sections).

Be sure to save at least the latter 15 -25 PTs just to take on your own timed, thus, all the others can be broken up and used for practice.

Powerscore's method is great, and while I started with Manhattan I did read a little of each Bible before though; I bought them all too :D If you feel comfortable/confident with PS then re-read and drill with them. Nevertheless, Jenna, I'll be honest, Manhattan's system is working for me so far (proof: I'm missing very few during the sections, and when I do miss one it's usually a careless error, never something I didn't understand).

I like both methods (from what little I know of Powerscore I liked it too). Both are very good, yet, they differ a little too. You just need to ask yourself "which system do I want to have engrained in me... ," pick it, and move forward with your prep. If you like, take tomorrow and read a little of ch. 1 and 2 in Manhattan's LR and LG, this way can get a sense of what they're about. Or, look at the table of contents, find a super hard type question, and read how they dissect it. Take the next couple days to choose your method, then starting Monday or Tuesday start making those moves! Honestly, I have to get back to work, otherwise I could sit here and make some sick arguments for why one PS is better for you than Manhattan (vice-versa), but only you know where your at right now, and only you can get a sense of what is working/might work for you going forward... no one else. We can only tell you what works for us, individually. idk. I'm typing alot so I'll probably stop like right now. hah.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:43 am

Velcome to law skool bruddah! (or sista)

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:50 am

burn the TM books, do the bibles, do MLSAT, drill Cambridge sections, PT until test day.

FIN.

MissJenna

Postby MissJenna » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks. I'm going to start reading the Manhattan RC book since I just got them all yesterday. I've heard such good things about their RC book that I'm kind of surprised at how 'thin' it is. But then again....how much can anyone really say about RC?!

Thanks for your help.

rshehadeh9091 wrote:I agree with TERS advice; "it" (borrowed language! j/k :mrgreen: ) could easily work for you. Another suggestion would be the following (seeing as it seems you have previous experience with lsat prepping):

Take the knowledge you have in all three sections - as of this very moment you are reading this - and start fresh from here. First, take the three Manhattan books you have, all the preptests you have, put them on your bed (as these will be your materials), and put every other book you have, for now, in your closet. I don't know anything about you or your capabilities, but I am willing to bet that you can easily dominate the manhattan books now (I started with them - as I am doing their class). These books and their system--it's very learnable. So, start by doing LR ch.1 and 2 and LG ch. 1 and 2, RC ch. 1 and 2, during next week, etc... come up with a good strategy for attacking them. Then, utilitize the information on these forums concerning which PT LR and LG sections are what, in other words, some of the forums have broken down and listed the different types of games and reasoning questions, so go through them for more practice after each section in your books (ie, in LG after you finish ch. 2 on ordering, go through some ordering practice sections).

Be sure to save at least the latter 15 -25 PTs just to take on your own timed, thus, all the others can be broken up and used for practice.

Powerscore's method is great, and while I started with Manhattan I did read a little of each Bible before though; I bought them all too :D If you feel comfortable/confident with PS then re-read and drill with them. Nevertheless, Jenna, I'll be honest, Manhattan's system is working for me so far (proof: I'm missing very few during the sections, and when I do miss one it's usually a careless error, never something I didn't understand).

I like both methods (from what little I know of Powerscore I liked it too). Both are very good, yet, they differ a little too. You just need to ask yourself "which system do I want to have engrained in me... ," pick it, and move forward with your prep. If you like, take tomorrow and read a little of ch. 1 and 2 in Manhattan's LR and LG, this way can get a sense of what they're about. Or, look at the table of contents, find a super hard type question, and read how they dissect it. Take the next couple days to choose your method, then starting Monday or Tuesday start making those moves! Honestly, I have to get back to work, otherwise I could sit here and make some sick arguments for why one PS is better for you than Manhattan (vice-versa), but only you know where your at right now, and only you can get a sense of what is working/might work for you going forward... no one else. We can only tell you what works for us, individually. idk. I'm typing alot so I'll probably stop like right now. hah.

MissJenna

Postby MissJenna » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:15 am

Yes......I have 3 Cambridge's books too!!! Ha! I knew I forgot another big company!

99.9luft wrote:burn the TM books, do the bibles, do MLSAT, drill Cambridge sections, PT until test day.

FIN.

MissJenna

Postby MissJenna » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:18 am

Do you guys think I should just go ahead and buy that LSAT blog's study schedule? I'm taking this exam in Oct & Dec.

My studying really is all over the place and like I said I do feel overwhelmed w/all this material.

rshehadeh9091

Postby rshehadeh9091 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:30 pm

No problem!

Yeah If you feel it's the right guide for you then yes, I'm not sure how to preview it though. Personally, I would print out that calendar on the Mac (or if PC has one, the same) and start filling the calendar out. These books have systems you can follow, so during the chapters there are drills etc you do. So, you can assign certain pages or chapters to do each day and follow that. Moreover, you should be assigning yourself PTs to do (ie, take a PT Monday and Friday, with review, or a PT Monday, Wednesday, Friday etc--write these in there too). Today is the 22nd. give yourself the next 8 days of studying and assign yourself the 1st PT on the first on next month perhaps.

Perhaps in August you should take two PTs a week and in September, three. You can see that it's going to be a ton of work these next two months, but so what... Really understand the material, register it, let it become automatic, and apply it when taking PTs, and let that score increase motivating you! It's seems like a ton, fine, but get things written down (start by writing what you'll do week by week) and just follow your plan. You'll make a plan and it will work, trust me.

sama

Postby sama » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:45 pm

Make a schedule, a plan of what you want to accomplish each week until the exam. I think this will really help you. After that, be disciplined to follow it. In the beginning, I wouldnt worry so much about timing. Once you grasp the concepts, then timing will be much easier to work on then vice versa

MissJenna

Postby MissJenna » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:18 am

sama wrote:Make a schedule, a plan of what you want to accomplish each week until the exam. I think this will really help you. After that, be disciplined to follow it. In the beginning, I wouldnt worry so much about timing. Once you grasp the concepts, then timing will be much easier to work on then vice versa

I swear the hardest part of this entire preparation has been coming up with a study schedule. This is seriously driving me insane.

It's either I've planned too much (never finish), I plan too little or whatever.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 am

LSATblog has some helpful study schedules if you need them and have all the prep books.

MissJenna

Postby MissJenna » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:19 pm

CorkBoard wrote:LSATblog has some helpful study schedules if you need them and have all the prep books.

Yeah....I was thinking I better get one. I just haven't seen many posts/threads on here where people raved about it. I read the one posted on the site (it's not the full length just the basic) & I wasn't all that impressed. But it looks like I may not have a choice but to get it.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 pm

MissJenna wrote:
CorkBoard wrote:LSATblog has some helpful study schedules if you need them and have all the prep books.

Yeah....I was thinking I better get one. I just haven't seen many posts/threads on here where people raved about it. I read the one posted on the site (it's not the full length just the basic) & I wasn't all that impressed. But it looks like I may not have a choice but to get it.

Find a list of the games/LR questions organized by type, read a chapter in the Bibles/Manhattan books, then drill the question types on the older PTs til you've completed all question types. Then start doing untimed PTs and work your way up to full sections. This is the advice any credited study schedule will tell you.

MissJenna

Postby MissJenna » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:32 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
MissJenna wrote:

Find a list of the games/LR questions organized by type, read a chapter in the Bibles/Manhattan books, then drill the question types on the older PTs til you've completed all question types. Then start doing untimed PTs and work your way up to full sections. This is the advice any credited study schedule will tell you.

I'm going to start organizing all the games by type today and tomorrow. I really didn't want to do it this way but maybe this will work better for me instead of starting with June 1991 and working my way up like I've been doing.

As for LR, I have Kaplan's mastery book and I've been trying to focus on 1 question type every 1, 2 weeks. But let's just say it's taking MUCH longer than I thought. LR is brutal on me.

When It comes to RC.....any ideas? I have passages from tests 1-20 organized by type but not after 20.

Btw...thank you.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:40 pm

MissJenna wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:
MissJenna wrote:

I'm going to start organizing all the games by type today and tomorrow. I really didn't want to do it this way but maybe this will work better for me instead of starting with June 1991 and working my way up like I've been doing.

As for LR, I have Kaplan's mastery book and I've been trying to focus on 1 question type every 1, 2 weeks. But let's just say it's taking MUCH longer than I thought. LR is brutal on me.

When It comes to RC.....any ideas? I have passages from tests 1-20 organized by type but not after 20.

Btw...thank you.

I started off being god awful at RC, the best advice I can give you for both RC and LR is to be an active reader. Your mind focuses better when you are simultaneously reading a piece of information then figuring out what role that information plays in the passage/prompt. If you have yet to do so already, pick up the RC guide for Manhattan. It does a fantastic job of explaining a method for RC cogently.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:41 pm

MissJenna wrote:

I have a few different ones and they are all pretty good.

FYI, posting in this forum (especially the LSAT prep one) can add a LOT onto the feeling of being overwhelmed. Just get a study plan from LSATBlog and go from there.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”