Is anyone fasting for Ramadan?

espressocream

Is anyone fasting for Ramadan?

Postby espressocream » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:20 pm

I can't focus without coffee. Just did a bit of Kaplan Mastery and bombed it.

How is everyone else handing this?

The food part sucks too, but I don't want to postpone prep for a month (secretly I do, but I can't).

edit: and I'm leaving words out of sentences...

deadpoetnsp

Re: Is anyone fasting for Ramadan?

Postby deadpoetnsp » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Considering it is an important exam for your career/life, you may want to exercise the option of "qazaa roza" and make up for Ramazan by fasting after the LSAT. But that's just my guess. However, this site seems to have detailed instructions: http://www.alahazrat.net/islam/roza-(fasting)-qanoon-e-shariat.php

jurisx

Postby jurisx » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:45 pm

Sorry, my Rabbi wouldn't approve, so......no........But they do let us sleep in a hole extra day to take the test and eat a big breakfast right before.......kind of nice really. Extra butter on the pancake, ham(snitch me out to my Rabbi and I will track you down via IP), orange juice, COFFEE, all that stuff. You should try it.

jigglebottom

Postby jigglebottom » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:17 pm

I am fasting. two days in and I'm feeling like its probably not going to be a good idea to keep this up. Unless I night-owl it... but I can't night-owl it. Society wont let me.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Night owl FTW

Postby 05062014 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:33 pm

I fast most days each year but don't plan to this year. My dad is pretty religious and he completely understood that I wanted to keep my routine (exercise/cook/study) up until test day. I plan to make up for it whenever the LSAT is behind me. It should not be an issue for law school as ramadan will get earlier for the next few years making it land on the long days of july and june in the years to come

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:01 pm

abdistotle wrote:I fast most days each year but don't plan to this year. My dad is pretty religious and he completely understood that I wanted to keep my routine (exercise/cook/study) up until test day. I plan to make up for it whenever the LSAT is behind me. It should not be an issue for law school as ramadan will get earlier for the next few years making it land on the long days of july and june in the years to come

But does your God understand?

TERS

Postby TERS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:25 am

Don't fast. Religion is stupid.

Will_Imake_it

Postby Will_Imake_it » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:04 am

i fasted the first two days and couldn't function at all, instead took a nap so iftar time could come sooner :/

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:29 am

TERS wrote:Don't fast. Religion is stupid.

Very helpful and relevant.

Fwiw, a classmate of mine (I'm a summer start 1L) is fasting...she's finding it hard to study (we've discussed it) but she's chugging on through :]

jigglebottom

Postby jigglebottom » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:57 am

Will_Imake_it wrote:i fasted the first two days and couldn't function at all, instead took a nap so iftar time could come sooner :/

I went and saw dark knight today..killed like three hours haha..

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:21 am

vpintz wrote:

Fwiw, a classmate of mine (I'm a summer start 1L) is fasting...she's finding it hard to study (we've discussed it) but she's chugging on through :]

It is relevant. Your pretend god won't pretend care when you real die. But your real law school probably will real care when you real flunk the test, for no reason other than you're a superstitious person.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 am

jurisx wrote:Sorry, my Rabbi wouldn't approve, so......no........But they do let us sleep in a hole extra day to take the test and eat a big breakfast right before.......kind of nice really. Extra butter on the pancake, ham(snitch me out to my Rabbi and I will track you down via IP), orange juice, COFFEE, all that stuff. You should try it.

It's like you're not even trying anymore. It was more fun when you seemed like a real person.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Fark-o-vision wrote:
vpintz wrote:

It is relevant. Your pretend god won't pretend care when you real die. But your real law school probably will real care when you real flunk the test, for no reason other than you're a superstitious person.

Your implied original claim that only stupid people believe in imaginary friends (and hence be called religious) is discredited by the following evidence:

--LinkRemoved--

You two clearly will not do well on the lsat if you cannot understand that correlation does not result in causation. Just because there are stupid religious fanatics, it does not follow that religion causes one to become a stupid fanatic. Similarly, just because there are a large number of serial killers and warmongers who are atheists, it does not follow that atheists are violent murderers.

Just for fun:

Fark-O-Vision's logical reasoning is flawed because he operates under the key assumption that the world we observe around us is "real." He has defined "real" by an arbitrary standard; one which cannot be supported by any explanation other than "It's real because it is."
Last edited by PeanutsNJam on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:30 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:

Fark-o-vision wrote:
vpintz wrote:

You two may begin to ridicule religious people as closed minded, stupid, and anti-science if you are smarter than these people:

--LinkRemoved--

Ad hominem argument from someone on a forum dedicated to curing eras in logic. Irony?

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:34 pm

JohnV wrote:Ad hominem argument from someone on a forum dedicated to curing eras in logic. Irony?

No. I can understand if you failed to grasp my true intention. I simply wanted to discredit a claim (that religious people are stupid) by providing an example of the contrary. I shouldn't have employed sarcastic irony, since it clearly resulted in your confusion. Original post edited so there will no longer be a logical flaw.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:37 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
JohnV wrote:Ad hominem argument from someone on a forum dedicated to curing eras in logic. Irony?

No. I can understand if you failed to grasp my true intention. I simply wanted to discredit a claim (that religious people are stupid) by providing an example of the contrary. I shouldn't have employed sarcastic irony, since it clearly resulted in your confusion. Original post edited so there will no longer be a logical flaw.

Who is calling religious people stupid here? Clearly there are some intelligent theist, no one should be so bold and ignorant to make the claim to the contrary. Your original post seemed to imply you can't have a valid opinion on the subject unless you can meet vague intellectual standards as set by the people in your link, whose intelligence may or may not specialize in a relevant field.

EDIT: Religion itself was called stupid, and that could or could not very well be the case. One believing in something that could be stupid does not itself make that person stupid. Notice this is not my claim or position, just a presentation of the logical flow of the conversation so far.

Eberry

Postby Eberry » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Religion bashing in the LSAT Prep forum...seems legit. :roll:

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Outside of Ramadan I don't do anything remotely Islamic, but I really do enjoy fasting and the family stuff that comes with it.
It's shaped me in a variety of ways - I like the discipline that comes with it, and the sympathy for those without basic nutrition.

Rituals are nice sometimes, and with me, like most other human beings, there's a need to belong - and for me it's important that it's
with my family.

Given that I posted this on the first day, I won't take time off - it was a matter of adjusting for me - the past few days I've been
at it pretty hard and it's been going well. :)

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:41 pm

Eberry wrote:Religion bashing in the LSAT Prep forum...seems legit. :roll:

+1

oh my god both of you just shut up.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:43 pm

espressocream wrote:Outside of Ramadan I don't do anything remotely Islamic, but I really do enjoy fasting and the family stuff that comes with it.
It's shaped me in a variety of ways - I like the discipline that comes with it, and the sympathy for those without basic nutrition.

Rituals are nice sometimes, and with me, like most other human beings, there's a need to belong - and for me it's important that it's
with my family.

Given that I posted this on the first day, I won't take time off - it was a matter of adjusting for me - the past few days I've been

Good luck espresso! We have full faith in you :)

Mr. Frodo

Postby Mr. Frodo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 pm

jigglebottom wrote:
Will_Imake_it wrote:i fasted the first two days and couldn't function at all, instead took a nap so iftar time could come sooner :/

I went and saw dark knight today..killed like three hours haha..

Too soon man... too soon...

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 pm

espressocream wrote:It's shaped me in a variety of ways - I like the discipline that comes with it, and the sympathy for those without basic nutrition.

with my family.

That's well expressed! All the best with the rest of Ramadan.

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:50 pm

espressocream wrote:Outside of Ramadan I don't do anything remotely Islamic, but I really do enjoy fasting and the family stuff that comes with it.

with my family.

Its def tough. Especially when your trying to get through a science passage in the RC section. Thats just torture. Empty stomach+Science= PAINNNN.

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm studying right now with no lunch and it sucks. And I even had breakfast. Can't imagine how hard it must be for you. Drink water to ease the pain, maybe?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”