So I bombed the first diagnostic, BIG TIME! Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Ende

New

Re: So I bombed the first diagnostic, BIG TIME!

Post by Ende » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:50 pm

RCinDNA wrote:
Ende wrote:
RCinDNA wrote:
Ende wrote:Well, I might as well keep this thread going to track my progress..Took diagnostic #2 yesterday, 9 point jump! Also, I pushed the exam back to December.
such a big jump on your second PT .
You're the second person to say that. What's the big deal in that jump? I was thinking a big jump was something in the range of 20-30 points. Besides, I'm still a considerable ways off.
Hey again, Ende. I was just suggesting that your first cold diagnostic may not have been an accurate reflection of your potential score on the test due to your nerves.

Some test companies push the idea of taking a cold diagnostic so that their students have a metric to use for tracking their improvements and hence, that the investment is worth it. This is neither a critique or an endorsement, though, as I think this can have mixed results depending on the student and their overall confidence level.

Some people don't even bother with a cold diagnostic, since they are more concerned with how they do after studying and preparation to avoid psyching themselves out. One of those people actually wrote one of the "How I Scored a 180" articles http://www.top-law-schools.com/how-i-sc ... icle2.html.

I've actually been on this schedule for the last 2 weeks or so, mainly because I can identify with it the most, and it fits. I've read that article before...it helps me day dream about receiving a 180, lol

http://www.top-law-schools.com/lsat-pre ... chool.html

Ende

New

Post by Ende » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:53 am

Hi everyone, hope all is well....

So I took Diagnostic #3 yesterday, and there was no change in my score. Because of that, I went ahead and changed my date from October to December. Diagnostic # 4 is September 29th.

I'm still a ways off, but I'm definitely not going to quit. The timing issue is still a roadblock, which the instructor advised me to start using the suicide drills in the course materials.

I guess the good thing is the score didn't get worse. Obviously, there is something wrong here that I am missing.

The goal is, and will remain 170+, and if I need to push it back to Feb 2013, that's what I will do.

ood

New

Post by ood » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:19 am

dingbat wrote:
Ende wrote:
facile princeps wrote:LOL @ timing a diagnostic. Dude, you're supposed to do it untimed.

edit: kinda got scooped there

This was the first day of the course, and it was timed. Supposedly to provide a "benchmark".
No, it's supposed to give you a bad score so that you have a big improvement by the end so
A) you feel good about yourself,
B) you're likely to recommend the course to others,
C) they can say their students improve by X points (or some similar claim)
D) all of the above
E) none of the above
Definetely true. I wouldn'tbe suprised if they gave you all the hardest prep test they could get their hands on.

The test people want you to score so bad that you feel like you need them. They are an abusive boyfriend and they need to create dependency. They tear you down and build you back up. When all is done you will think they saved your life. You will praise their name and recommend them to everyone.

In truth you probably could have scored the same or higher by self studying. Probably could have bought a shiny new computer and all the test materials out there.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:30 am

Nova wrote:You probably wont peak by Oct, if that is your goal. Be prepared to continue studying for Dec June.
I don't think OP should assume that he's going to get the score he needs in time to go the year he wants. If his PT scores are there, awesome, but the LSAT is important enough for OP to delay.

Ende

New

Post by Ende » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:48 am

IAFG wrote:
Nova wrote:You probably wont peak by Oct, if that is your goal. Be prepared to continue studying for Dec June.
I don't think OP should assume that he's going to get the score he needs in time to go the year he wants. If his PT scores are there, awesome, but the LSAT is important enough for OP to delay.

Well, I have all the time I want. I'm trying to get it done now, so I can focus my efforts on bringing up my GPA. My cumulative is great as of now, and I have 85% of my BA complete.

Oh, as a side note, I just wanted to thank everyone on here that has helped thus far. Collectively, you guys have helped me calm down, stay focused, and keep grinding.

Also, I'm keeping the thread going as a reference point to any future students that may go through what I'm presently going through. Once everything is said and done, I will release all my numbers.

Thanks again!!

Ende

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ashawnt

New

Post by ashawnt » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:12 pm

Don't get discouraged by your diagnostic score. My first cold test was in the mid 130's as well. I took testmasters last summer thinking I was going to take the oct date but my score only wen't up to a 155 a few weeks out. It was a huge improvement but definetely not where I wanted to be. I decided to postpone and start studying again after I graduated.I have been back at it now for about 3-4 months with a private tutor and am pt on average a 163....an am now gearing up for this upcoming october a few weeks away. It's obviously going to be a bitch! theres no denying that. But I consider myself an idiot and if I can do it you can to. I'm shooting for a high 160's score or better and being a few weeks aways from the october date I might have to postpone once again to Dec...but I'm willing to do whatever it takes...I will not give up on this damm test even if it takes me 2 years to master it...if you have the mentality then you already have a 170! Good luck and fight to the end!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”