Test Center ID Question!

CalAlumni

Test Center ID Question!

Postby CalAlumni » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Taking the LSAT in October and my California Divers License is from when I was 17; I'm 23 now....I don't look radically different just a bit older I guess. I can also whip out my old UC Berkeley school picture ID.

Am I okay? Or, should I go to the DMV and order a new license?

Nova

Re: Test Center ID Question!

Postby Nova » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:39 pm

If the license is not expired, you are fine.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:16 pm

What Nova said. I'm not sure they even looked at my license. Anyway, my DL photo makes me look like a man, and they still let me in.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:38 am

As long as your DL is not expired, you are fine with that. The passport type picture you have to glue to your admission ticket and hand over is the one that has to be current, taken within six months or so and show how you look now.

Postby 05062014 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:46 am

Jeffort wrote:As long as your DL is not expired, you are fine with that. The passport type picture you have to glue to your admission ticket and hand over is the one that has to be current, taken within six months or so and show how you look now.

I need to renew my license by my 21st B-day, which is in early august. I am planning on going into the DMV to take the vision test they require in NY state, and I think I will be getting a new photo. Would that photo be good enough for the picture you need with the admission ticket?...

I should probably print out my admission ticket and read the directions carefully

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:59 am

abdistotle wrote:
Jeffort wrote:As long as your DL is not expired, you are fine with that. The passport type picture you have to glue to your admission ticket and hand over is the one that has to be current, taken within six months or so and show how you look now.

I need to renew my license by my 21st B-day, which is in early august. I am planning on going into the DMV to take the vision test they require in NY state, and I think I will be getting a new photo. Would that photo be good enough for the picture you need with the admission ticket?...

I should probably print out my admission ticket and read the directions carefully

No, since that one is what is put on your new DL card they issue once you renew it if they do take a new photo instead of just using the previous one they have from before.

I don't know how it works in NY, but in CA for 15+ years whenever I renewed and they issued a new DL, they just kept using the same super old picture they had that was taken a few years before I was 21 and still looked like a kid! It sometimes made it hard getting into bars or buying beer many years later when I was way past 21 and the people carding me questioned whether it was real or actually my ID! I just told them "dudes, I was a kid then, I grew up and got bigger, but I can still make that goofy smile, watch", they laughed and all was fine.

As well as showing a current valid government issued photo ID to get into the test center you need a separate passport type/size/regulation photo you glue to the admission ticket that you hand in when you check into the test center which LSAC keeps.

Get that renewal stuff done ASAP, sometimes it takes a while for the new DL card to get mailed to you.

Postby 05062014 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:03 pm

I can actually walk to a DMV office up the hill from my apartment complex so I'll probably take care of it in person. I hope I can change my picture. It is from the day I turned 16 to get my permit.

Anyways, can I just take a picture on my own with my android and print it out so it fits in the box? Also, do hairstyles matter? I usually go with a slightly gelled up dew but since I have been studying it has been no shave-no nothing november all summer, lol. I may clean up once my senior year starts, so how close do we need to look in the picture relative to the day of the test?

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:26 pm

abdistotle wrote:I can actually walk to a DMV office up the hill from my apartment complex so I'll probably take care of it in person. I hope I can change my picture. It is from the day I turned 16 to get my permit.

Anyways, can I just take a picture on my own with my android and print it out so it fits in the box? Also, do hairstyles matter? I usually go with a slightly gelled up dew but since I have been studying it has been no shave-no nothing november all summer, lol. I may clean up once my senior year starts, so how close do we need to look in the picture relative to the day of the test?

That's cool you have a DMV super close you can walk to. If they don't require it, request that they take a new picture.

LSAC rules:
http://www.lsac.org/JD/LSAT/day-of-test.asp

Identification. You must have a valid government-issued ID that is current (or has expired within 90 days of your test date) and contains a recent and recognizable photo. Your first and last name on your ID must match exactly the first and last name on your LSAT Admission Ticket or else you will be denied admission. Make sure all of your biographical data is consistent.

Rules about the photo for the admission ticket:

In addition, you must attach to your admission ticket a recent passport-type photograph (taken within the last six months) showing only your face and shoulders. The photograph must be clear enough so that there is no doubt about your identity, and it must be no larger than 2 x 2 inches (5 x 5 cm) and no smaller than 1 x 1 inch (3 x 3 cm). Your face in the photo must show you as you look on the day of the test. LSAC provides examples of acceptable and unacceptable photos. The photograph will be retained by LSAC only as long as needed to ensure the authenticity of test scores and to protect the integrity of the testing process.

Photo examples:
http://www.lsac.org/JD/LSAT/photo-requirements.asp

It's really quick, cheap and easy to get one taken at a drugstore, Walmart, grocery store with a photo department, many other places and have it in hand in 5-10 minutes total for a few bucks to avoid trying to get it right yourself, hassling with that and printing it out correctly. While a friend is waiting in line to buy beer or something at a CVS or Rite-AID, hit the photo counter, say passport photo please, stand in the place they tell you, say cheese and smile, hand the clerk the few bucks, mission accomplished. Literally 5-10 minutes at the very most and only a few bucks with no hassle whatsoever.

sama

Postby sama » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:50 pm

If you want to be safe you can take your passport too but you should be fine

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:31 pm

You are fine. I am in the same shoes as you, (16 year old photo)...took the lsat when I was 21 and all was fine...

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Recently LSAC has become more strict with the -day of the test- regulations and has been getting test center proctors to strictly enforce them much more than in past years. Many people have been denied entrance to test centers at administrations going back more than a year because they didn't have and present the required documents with valid ID that conform to the current rules and/or tried to bring in things other than the allowed items in a zip lock bag (no cell phones!).

It's not hard to put together the required things, doesn't take much time, and doesn't cost much $$. Just take a little bit of time (part of an afternoon or two) to make sure you have it all together properly so you don't get denied entrance at the test center and told by a check-in proctor 'No LSAT for you!'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lfZg-apSA

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”