Second retake question

Easy-E

Second retake question

Postby Easy-E » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 am

I'm considering re-taking the LSAT for the second time (161,169), as I'd really like to break 170 to give me a decent shot at UVA. I used almost all of the more recent materials going back to around PT30 or so. I know repeating the work can be beneficial though, and money isn't a big issue, so getting more materials isn't the problem at all. I guess what I'm wondering is how much ability should I hope to retain from my June study period? Would prepping for a relatively short time (lets say 4-5 weeks) for the October test be selling myself short, or considering I should have the basics locked down, would this be a solid amount of time studying for a third go at the LSAT? Also, if anyone has any good posts saved on this topic I'd really appreciate it. Overall I'm concerned about how to approach a second retake, in terms of prep time, drilling, and PTs in particular. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

gaud

Re: Second retake question

Postby gaud » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:45 am

There might be some merit to looking here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=188299

Otherwise, with 4-5 weeks of prep at your level, I'd only focus on PTs. You're really going to want to fine tune your skills and be sure to examine EACH AND EVERY answer choice and know why it's either correct or incorrect. On the questions you miss, cut them out and try to understand what made you miss this question (since you've likely seen the question before, this is CRUCIAL).

ETA: you could use the first week of your prep for drilling to shake off the cobwebs but ultimately taking pt's is going to be the most efficient

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:16 pm

gaud wrote:There might be some merit to looking here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=188299

Otherwise, with 4-5 weeks of prep at your level, I'd only focus on PTs. You're really going to want to fine tune your skills and be sure to examine EACH AND EVERY answer choice and know why it's either correct or incorrect. On the questions you miss, cut them out and try to understand what made you miss this question (since you've likely seen the question before, this is CRUCIAL).

ETA: you could use the first week of your prep for drilling to shake off the cobwebs but ultimately taking pt's is going to be the most efficient

So in terms of a study plan, maybe do a week of lighter work (drills, timed sections) to get back into it, and then do like 4 weeks of 3 day cycles of PT-Review-Review, shooting for 8-9 of the very newest PTs? I have a good amount of extra RC sections I have never seen as well, which I'd probably mix in.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:18 pm

Yes, that sounds good. Obviously you may not be able to work with completely new material, but don't let that sway you from reusing past stuff. Taking the more recent tests will be more beneficial for your prep than the older ones, even if you've already seen the material.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:29 am

Gonna bump this to see if anyone else has some input.

bbobby12

Postby bbobby12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:47 pm

Personally, I wouldn't be able to retain as much in the summer break, but it depends on how you think you are. Even if you can do a 1-2 hr review everyday it may keep your mind fresh until the last 4-5 weeks where you really want to go all out.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”