Quick tips for making flash cards?!

JDanger007

Quick tips for making flash cards?!

Postby JDanger007 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:21 pm

I am trying to figure out the best way to make flash cards to study from when I am away, on the go, at work things like that:
This may be of help to others who want to incorporate this into their study strategy.
I have my quick tips on things to do when looking at certain types of games or reasoning questions.
I also have a key words to help me identify question types.
Does it make sense to put anyting else on them? Maybe important games that may help me when im in the October exam?
If thats the case what are good ones to know, I have done so many.

Much love

akasabian

Re: Quick tips for making flash cards?!

Postby akasabian » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:03 pm

jp238607 wrote:I am trying to figure out the best way to make flash cards to study from when I am away, on the go, at work things like that:
This may be of help to others who want to incorporate this into their study strategy.
I have my quick tips on things to do when looking at certain types of games or reasoning questions.
I also have a key words to help me identify question types.
Does it make sense to put anyting else on them? Maybe important games that may help me when im in the October exam?
If thats the case what are good ones to know, I have done so many.

Much love

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, I most likely will in the next few days.
I would say it could be useful to include certain key phrases to help indicate sufficient/necessary conditions that are trickier to catch compared to "if...then"
Also could include some key words to indicate the different question types.
I'd definitely be interested to see what others think of, though

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:06 pm

I didn't make flashcards, but it seems like diagrams of common phrases, like "A only if B" or "A unless B" could be potentially helpful.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:13 pm

The best advice I can offer on flashcards is to not make them.

This is not a memorization test. If you can't devote your full attention to studying, either don't study, or just work on individual LR questions when you have a minute here or there.

Flashcards are a complete waste of your time.

To reiterate, the things you're trying to mark on your flashcards you will learn very quickly by doing actual questions. With just over two months to go until test day, you shouldn't be wondering how to identify question types at this point. Start working with real questions as soon as possible.

HolleeB

Postby HolleeB » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:25 pm

I agree they aren't so much necessary as perhaps a cheat sheet. I make flash cards for everything so I was having trouble with not doing so. I ended up making three. One for my Suff/Nec key words, one for common things I have trouble with (ie: remember when it's an inference question, the answers are supported by the stimulus and when it's a strengthen question, the answers support the stimulus) and one for mental zen (take a deep breath, remember the second to do that is going to cost less time that to reread something three times).

So I'd have something to kind of skim over right before starting a PT or a section that helps you get in the mental zone of doing it rather than having flash cards to memorize while you're sitting on the bus.

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Flashcards are for nerds.

Powerpoint all the way.

cahwc12 wrote:The best advice I can offer on flashcards is to not make them.

This is not a memorization test. If you can't devote your full attention to studying, either don't study, or just work on individual LR questions when you have a minute here or there.

Flashcards are a complete waste of your time.

To reiterate, the things you're trying to mark on your flashcards you will learn very quickly by doing actual questions. With just over two months to go until test day, you shouldn't be wondering how to identify question types at this point. Start working with real questions as soon as possible.

I disagree; memorization is very important. It just gets a bad rap because some people focus on it too much and neglect actually understanding the material.

For one thing, you'll get more points if you phrase the rule correctly, rather than just summarizing it. Further, and more importantly, many fact patters are designed to test your comprehensive knowledge of a subject. For example, all of the exceptions to a certain rule. No matter how well you understand it conceptually, this requires memorization too.

**Edit** I only just realized this was about LSAT prep and now law school exam prep. :oops:

Yeah, disregard the above.
Last edited by LOLyer on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:30 pm

The LSAT is not a memorization test per se. It is a reasoning ability test, not a memorization regurgitate knowledge test similar to many UG exams. It's about applying sound logical and analytical reasoning skills correctly.

If you make flash cards, make them about the logical concepts, frequently repeated patterns of reasoning and especially about commonly repeated flawed methods of reasoning since almost every argument in each LR section is logically flawed.

The common keyword indicators for sufficient and necessary conditions as well as ones for cause and effect relationships are important to learn so you recognize them and analyze in the proper direction when you encounter them, but that is step one to interpret the stimulus, question stem, and answer choices properly to know how to attack the particular question and select the correct response.

Knowing/understanding how to recognize the commonly tested logical concepts and relationships is a big part of the key to success.

JDanger007

Postby JDanger007 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:23 am

Very beneficial stuff guys. believe me I work every day on prep, like someone said its more just to have as a quick thing to flip through. Thank you for all the advice, any more is appreciated too.

TylerJonesMPLS

Postby TylerJonesMPLS » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:44 am

Reasoning and memorization aren’t mutually exclusive; they should be used together. It is a mistake to depend too much on one or the other.

The advantage of memorization is that it saves time and mental energy when you are actually sitting the LSAT. As everyone on TLS knows, the LSAT is a test of stamina. It takes much less mental energy to remember the formula for, e.g., negating a conditional, than it does to spend a few seconds deducing the formula in your mind. In general, you want to conserve as much mental energy as possible when sitting the test, and the more things you can do through rote memorization, the better. You will need all the mental energy you have for the really difficult questions. The simpler problems you should be able to breeze through because you have already memorized what they ask for.

But it is a terrible mistake to memorize a formula or method that you do not yet understand. You must fully comprehend what is going on when you e.g. negate a conditional *before* you memorize the method for doing it. If you don’t, you will miss many of the more difficult questions that require you to negate a conditional at the same time that you do other operations. Critical reasoning can’t be done by rote memorization alone. If it could, our justice system would be replaced by computers.

First put your efforts into understanding the logic etc. Once you are sure that you understand it, put it on a flashcard. Review the flashcards every day or two. And once every week or two review your understanding of the logic.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:46 pm

You could also do flash cards for each LR question type. Something like:

FRONT
Sufficient Assumption

BACK
Likely to be diagrammed
Bridge the gap between a premise and new term in conclusion - if a new term shows up in the conclusion, the correct answer MUST do this
OR
Bridge a gap between two premises
Prefer a strong answer choice (since conclusion must be made 100% valid)
Can be thought of as a SUPER strengthen question

LionelHutzJD

Postby LionelHutzJD » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Definitely make flash cards for conclusion/premise indicators and sufficient/neccesary indicators. It really worked for me. Dont forget the No and Unless formulas. These are crucial to memorize.

bbobby12

Postby bbobby12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Not a fan of flashcards, but if it helps you learn then you should. But try not to go overboard, keep it limited to a few vital concepts and rules

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”