Seeking Prep Plan Feedback

atclavon

Seeking Prep Plan Feedback

Postby atclavon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:42 pm

I am planning on taking the October 2012 LSAT and I'm looking for some feedback on my preparation materials/plan. I have:

1) The LSAC Official Super Prep book
2) The Next 10 tests book
3) 10 more tests book
4) I will be ordering the LG & LR Powerscore Bibles tonight.
5) I'm enrolling in a Blueprint course (especially since I've taken NOT ONE prep test to date). The course runs from late July up to the week before the exam.

I have the "advantage" of not working between now and October so I have a lot of time to dedicate every week. Aside from the prep-course work, I'm targeting 6-8 hours of study per day. I'm shooting for a 170-175. Thoughts?

cc.celina

Re: Seeking Prep Plan Feedback

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:48 pm

10 New Tests, some of the most recent pts (60-66) for comparative reading and practice with the newer LGs. Take a diagnostic! I did not take a course but I imagine it is helpful to know what you need to work on going in. You should be pretty set with that for now - later in your prep if you start having problems with specific question types, I suggest Cambridge LSAT's question-by-type packets.

Good luck!

Postby 05062014 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:50 pm

Aim for 6 hours daily and turn those other two hours into exercise or sleep. Not burning out separates the men from the boys on this test. There were points where I burned out in June and truly started doubting myself and my potential. As much as you think you need to cram things into single days, you'll see that you study smarter and retain more overall limiting what you do each day. At the same time, plan to get the brunt of your work done before September so you can wind down when the stress will be at its highest. Good luck

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:51 pm

I don't think it's realistic or even that useful to study 8 hours per day.

I would consider full-time prep to be around 4 hours per day. I think once you begin prepping you'll understand why it's just not reasonable. Anyway, I would certainly try something along the lines of 3-4 hours per day, which is about the time you'll spend on an actual LSAT, and make that good, solid prep work. After that your brain will be fried and you'll need some time off. Also, reconsider the prep course, since it sounds like you're already motivated to put the necessary time in yourself. I would advise searching for a private tutor in your area. You could probably even get a tutor and get more out of him/her with the same time/cost investment.

If you're hell-bent on getting more prep in the day, I recommend doing 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the afternoon after a LONG break in the middle of the day.

I also highly recommend getting the Cambridge LR and LG by type packets to work through before you begin PTing.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:00 pm

FWIW I prepped at least 5-6 hours a day (sometimes 7-8) for about 3.5 weeks (took one weekend off, other than that every day) and it worked for me. It was not the best 3.5 weeks of my life, but it paid off on the real thing.

edit: the point of this post was not to say you should prep that much, but that for some people it is feasible. for other people it is not. don't burn yourself out, do as much as you can without starting to contemplate throwing yourself out the window.

atclavon

Postby atclavon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:02 pm

cc.celina wrote:10 New Tests, some of the most recent pts (60-66) for comparative reading and practice with the newer LGs. Take a diagnostic! I did not take a course but I imagine it is helpful to know what you need to work on going in. You should be pretty set with that for now - later in your prep if you start having problems with specific question types, I suggest Cambridge LSAT's question-by-type packets.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!!! :) And please excuse my ignorance but precisely what do you mean by "some of the most recent pts (60-66)"? *facepalm* such a n00b... :oops:

atclavon

Postby atclavon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:05 pm

abdistotle wrote:Aim for 6 hours daily and turn those other two hours into exercise or sleep. Not burning out separates the men from the boys on this test. There were points where I burned out in June and truly started doubting myself and my potential. As much as you think you need to cram things into single days, you'll see that you study smarter and retain more overall limiting what you do each day. At the same time, plan to get the brunt of your work done before September so you can wind down when the stress will be at its highest. Good luck

Great advice and thanks much for the well wishes!! My plan is to spread those 6-8 hours out between say 10 am and 10 pm. That gives me time to work out before 10 am. I definitely DONT intend to burn out.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 pm

atclavon wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!!! :) And please excuse my ignorance but precisely what do you mean by "some of the most recent pts (60-66)"? *facepalm* such a n00b... :oops:

No problem. The books you have are all packs of 10 tests, as is the "10 New, Actual Official." But the most recent preptests have not been bundled yet, so you're going to have to buy them individually. LSAC has them for individual purchase in the store for $8 each. I hear amazon has 4-3 deals (though idk if the new ones are on there). If you want to download them instantly on PDF and print (plus helpful LR explanations!) go here.

atclavon

Postby atclavon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:14 pm

cahwc12 wrote:I don't think it's realistic or even that useful to study 8 hours per day.

I would consider full-time prep to be around 4 hours per day. I think once you begin prepping you'll understand why it's just not reasonable. Anyway, I would certainly try something along the lines of 3-4 hours per day, which is about the time you'll spend on an actual LSAT, and make that good, solid prep work. After that your brain will be fried and you'll need some time off. Also, reconsider the prep course, since it sounds like you're already motivated to put the necessary time in yourself. I would advise searching for a private tutor in your area. You could probably even get a tutor and get more out of him/her with the same time/cost investment.

If you're hell-bent on getting more prep in the day, I recommend doing 2-3 hours in the morning and 2-3 hours in the afternoon after a LONG break in the middle of the day.

I also highly recommend getting the Cambridge LR and LG by type packets to work through before you begin PTing.

WOW!! You've really given me some serious food for thought. That 3-4 hour span times 2 with a long break in between sounds like a great plan for my learning style too! I am indeed motivated, but I was gifted the funds from a very caring family member for the course. And to be honest, my discipline can wane if I get tired so thus my strong penchant toward the prep course. But using those funds for a tutor is an AWESOME suggestion. hmmmm......

I will look at the Cambridge books too. I hadn't even considered those before. THANKS!!!

atclavon

Postby atclavon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:18 pm

cc.celina wrote:
atclavon wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!!! :) And please excuse my ignorance but precisely what do you mean by "some of the most recent pts (60-66)"? *facepalm* such a n00b... :oops:

No problem. The books you have are all packs of 10 tests, as is the "10 New, Actual Official." But the most recent preptests have not been bundled yet, so you're going to have to buy them individually. LSAC has them for individual purchase in the store for $8 each. I hear amazon has 4-3 deals (though idk if the new ones are on there). If you want to download them instantly on PDF and print (plus helpful LR explanations!) go here.

Are you a petrologist, because YOU ROCK!!!! nyuk nyuk.... my bad. Really though, thanks for the link. It WILL be used.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:53 am

cc.celina wrote:Take a diagnostic!

Don't bother with this if you've signed up for our course - the first day will be a Prep Test, so no need to do one on your own!

bbobby12

Postby bbobby12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Are you taking a course? Start with a diagnostic to see where you're at. Don't just do the PTs for the sake of doing them. Really try understanding why you got some wrong. Practice as much as you can on your weaknesses

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”