Can I throttle back?

LittleTree

Can I throttle back?

Postby LittleTree » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:18 pm

I've been studying 40ish hours a week for the October LSAT. I started studying about a month ago. My diagnostic was 160. After reading the LR and LG PowerScore bibles for 2 weeks I took another PT and got a 166. For the past two weeks I've been drilling question types in the PowerScore question type books (all the questions from PT 1-20). Yesterday I took PT 22 and got a 174.
When I'm not studying for the LSAT I can be earning money, exercising, spending time with family, etc. I originally decided to take 4 months and devote them entirely to studying, I had no idea I would improve so quickly.
Would it be alright for me to cut back to 20 hours a week? I've devised a plan that would still allow me to work through every PT I have before October. I would miss redoing some logic games, the PowerScore RC book, and some RC sections. I almost feel like my last 2-3 hours are wasted in an 8-hour study day anyways (fatigue).
Basically I need someone to tell me this is OK as reassurance.
Thanks for your help.

Oscar85

Re: Can I throttle back?

Postby Oscar85 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:30 pm

LittleTree wrote:I've been studying 40ish hours a week for the October LSAT. I started studying about a month ago. My diagnostic was 160. After reading the LR and LG PowerScore bibles for 2 weeks I took another PT and got a 166. For the past two weeks I've been drilling question types in the PowerScore question type books (all the questions from PT 1-20). Yesterday I took PT 22 and got a 174.
When I'm not studying for the LSAT I can be earning money, exercising, spending time with family, etc. I originally decided to take 4 months and devote them entirely to studying, I had no idea I would improve so quickly.
Would it be alright for me to cut back to 20 hours a week? I've devised a plan that would still allow me to work through every PT I have before October. I would miss redoing some logic games, the PowerScore RC book, and some RC sections. I almost feel like my last 2-3 hours are wasted in an 8-hour study day anyways (fatigue).
Basically I need someone to tell me this is OK as reassurance.
Thanks for your help.

Sounds to me like you are wearing yourself out.... You can cut back and still do well on the LSAT. A 174 two months before the test is a great diagnostic, and it won't be diminished by cutting back a bit. In fact, it might be the case that if you continue to study relentlessly, you will end up burning yourself out/getting flustered and missing answers constantly because you tired of prepping.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Although this probably isn't what you want to hear, you should continue studying vigorously. Although you've made substantial improvements in a short time, you probably do not have a mastery of the material yet. It's important to have a strong grasp on all the question types and know it like the back of your hand before going into the test.

Your friends and the couple extra bucks can wait. This is the most important test of your life, and you'll be kicking yourself if you find out the hard way that you should not have cut your study hours.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Well, what do you think? You're the only one that knows if you have will be capable of maintaining that score while scaling back. No one would had suggested you'd go from 160 to 174 a month so I doubt anyone will be able to give you much insight into your own abilities.

But, my 2 cents, do it if you are feeling drained and you feel you need to relax. Not going to help if you can't stand to look at the LSAT a month and a half before the test, burn out seems to be the only thing you need to worry about if you are CONSISTENTLY hitting mid 170s, not just once out of a couple, flukes/good-days happen, don't sit on that PT for a few weeks thinking HSY are in the bag.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:25 am

Mr.Binks wrote:Although this probably isn't what you want to hear, you should continue studying vigorously. Although you've made substantial improvements in a short time, you probably do not have a mastery of the material yet. It's important to have a strong grasp on all the question types and know it like the back of your hand before going into the test.

Your friends and the couple extra bucks can wait. This is the most important test of your life, and you'll be kicking yourself if you find out the hard way that you should not have cut your study hours.

While I agree with Binks that you shouldn't let up (the jump from 175 to 180 is WAAAAY harder than from 160 to 175 in my opinion), also give yourself a break if you feel yourself close to burning out. 8 hours a day, 5 days a week is a lot. I started prep late and didn't have the option to take a few days off, and really regretted it. I benefited mentally from the one weekend I took off (although I probably would have gotten a little more out of it if I didn't spend it day drinking)

Don't be afraid to do other things, but keep it simple - friends, working out, pleasure reading, etc. Don't like, get a job. The last thing you want to do is be approaching gameday and your boss suddenly gives you a new project that cuts into your study time.

tl;dr: keep studying. take breaks when you need them. don't commit to any activity where you will have actual responsibilities.

LittleTree

Postby LittleTree » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:51 am

Thanks for the responses. I've had nothing but good experiences with TLS.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:15 am

LittleTree wrote:Thanks for the responses. I've had nothing but good experiences with TLS.

A rare feat, my friend. I seriously thought you were a troll.

But you have a great starting point. You should be taking about 2 Pts a week for maintenance leading up to the test.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:00 am

LittleTree wrote:Thanks for the responses. I've had nothing but good experiences with TLS.

5 post, probably not. But trust me, the trolls are alive and well here, just not so much in the LSAT question/answer threads.

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 am

Consider yourself lucky! :lol:

(And for what it's worth, I'd dial it back a bit, or just take a day or two off--you don't want to burn out....)

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:48 am

Honey_Badger wrote:

Consider yourself lucky! :lol:

(And for what it's worth, I'd dial it back a bit, or just take a day or two off--you don't want to burn out....)

That would be my advice as well.

LittleTree

Postby LittleTree » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Not a troll. Long-time lurker. I generally sift through the crap and find really useful information.
I'm going to throttle back a tiny bit on the LSAT and use my extra time to focus on other aspects of my application. I've decided to spend a little bit of my time near the end of each day and touch up my resume, work on my PS, and exercise (I'm getting soft).
Thanks again for the help and suggestions. A few of you who posted in here have helped me out a bunch before with your posts in other threads (even if I didn't post there). Expect to see a copy of my PS up on here soon. I'd love for a few extra sets of eyes to rip it apart.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:45 pm

LittleTree wrote:I'm going to throttle back a tiny bit on the LSAT and use my extra time to focus on other aspects of my application. I've decided to spend a little bit of my time near the end of each day and touch up my resume, work on my PS, and exercise (I'm getting soft).

Heh, yea I definitely know what you mean. I'm 20 lbs lighter than I was this time last year. School, work, and now LSAT studying has left very little time to work out or keep up an appetite.
Last edited by JohnV on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLSwag

Postby TLSwag » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:58 pm

keep in mind scoring higher is more attainable on the older practice test... i.e. a 174 on PT#22 likely does not equate to a 174 on PT's in the 60's. that being said, i think you have a great starting point, no need to burn yourself out. just keep doing you

Postby 05062014 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:04 pm

JohnV wrote:
LittleTree wrote:I'm going to throttle back a tiny bit on the LSAT and use my extra time to focus on other aspects of my application. I've decided to spend a little bit of my time near the end of each day and touch up my resume, work on my PS, and exercise (I'm getting soft).

Heh, yea I definitely know what you mean. I'm 20 lbs lighter than I was this time last year. School, work, and now LSAT studying has left very little time to work out or keep up an appetite.

Exercising will make your studies more efficient and worthwhile, I promise you. Men are not meant to sit around all day. Our brains are primed for this test when our bodies are primed for life, in my opinion.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:10 pm

abdistotle wrote:
JohnV wrote:

Exercising will make your studies more efficient and worthwhile, I promise you. Men are not meant to sit around all day. Our brains are primed for this test when our bodies are primed for life, in my opinion.

Yea the problem is having the energy/time. As soon as someone invents a pill that eliminates sleep or puts more hours in the day I'll be back in the gym. Regardless, I'm going to try... again. I've probably attempted to start up a routing like I use to have a dozen times this year but this time it's gonna stick!

EDIT: The bigger problem isn't really even the shape I'm in but its what's happened to my personality. I can notice that I'm softer and care less about things that I use to be passionate about. Responsibility really drains the life out of you.

Postby 05062014 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:26 pm

JohnV wrote:
Yea the problem is having the energy/time. As soon as someone invents a pill that eliminates sleep or puts more hours in the day I'll be back in the gym. Regardless, I'm going to try... again. I've probably attempted to start up a routing like I use to have a dozen times this year but this time it's gonna stick!

EDIT: The bigger problem isn't really even the shape I'm in but its what's happened to my personality. I can notice that I'm softer and care less about things that I use to be passionate about. Responsibility really drains the life out of you.

The biggest thing is getting started. I too used to feel like there was not enough time in the day and that I needed to maximize hours of studying time. Your energy levels will initially drop a bit and your need for sleep will rise a bit in the first week or two. After that though, life gets good. You begin to need less sleep, and oxygen flow optimizes in your brain making your time spent studying qualitatively superior. You stress less and stop underestimating yourself (personally, and many friends who I have helped work out).

I am a quasi muscle building fanatic (my dad used to bodybuild and got me involved a lot and still goes harder than me nearing the age of 60). Now though, for exercising specifically for the LSAT, I maximize high intensity cardio and go easy on the weights. Buy a jumprope on amazon for 15 bucks and go outside for 30min-1 hour a day. Your intensity with the jumprope will increase dramatically and it is a quick whole body workout. Study afterwards or before, just do it daily for 30 min- 1hour or more.

Side note: I came across the 180 scorer diary thing on TLS. It does not surprise me that the two men who scored 180 were training for a marathon and jump roping during their studies.

Men need to be active. Some people can do well on this test without exercising but they need to try harder, are naturally gifted, or overall have a much less enjoyable time studying.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:48 am

Hate to be a downer but... Were both PTs you took (160 and 174) recent ones?

I've scored high on an older PT (i think the LR of older tests are WAY easier) but then gotten a tad bit raped on a newer one...

If there's a substantial gap, like test #4 vs test #53... I'd try to close that gap with taking another PT to be safe.

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:43 pm

d0rklord wrote:(i think the LR of older tests are WAY easier)

Really? I feel the opposite. At least my test have indicated the opposite.

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:00 pm

JohnV wrote:

I feel the opposite too. The older LR contained way more bull shit to filter through for the argument.

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:15 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
JohnV wrote:

I feel the opposite too. The older LR contained way more bull shit to filter through for the argument.

The older LR straight up made less sense

New LR is more like math than reading comp

sama

Postby sama » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:58 pm

This is a tough one, but like you said the last 2-3 hours you arent getting much done. So you might as well regroup, rest a bit, then go back at it. There is no use of wasting 2-3hrs when you can at least get some rest. Try not to get lazy though, once you're recharged go all out

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”