Can I study using pdf electronic materials?

EEguy5

Can I study using pdf electronic materials?

Postby EEguy5 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:23 pm

I will begin my LSAT studying this fall and want to start purchasing the needed books. Based on the suggestions on this forum, this will consist of PS bibles and or Manhattan guides (along with all of the actual LSAC tests). The problem is that I am moving to Japan for 6 months for work and need to minimize the printed material that I bring. My questions:

1) Do you typically write/draw a lot in the actual books?
2) Would it be possible to effectively use kindle/pdf/electronic versions of the bibles or manhattan guides?
3) Are the PS workbooks necessary?
4) If the workbooks are not typically necessary, would they be more so in this case because of the lack of physical bibles/guides?
5) Any other suggestions for reducing printed material?

Any advice you can sure will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

gaud

Re: Can I study using pdf electronic materials?

Postby gaud » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:30 pm

Meh, it depends on your style. I would write in my books when working on practice questions. Having a piece of paper next to you could make up for it.

2) Would it be possible to effectively use kindle/pdf/electronic versions of the bibles or manhattan guides?

I'm sure.

Not necessary, you could simply use actual practice tests.

4) If the workbooks are not typically necessary, would they be more so in this case because of the lack of physical bibles/guides?

Umm.. not really. See above.

Cambridge LSAT sells their own LSAT stuff (actual tests and workbooks) that are entirely in PDF form. It's worth checking out in your situation.
http://www.cambridgelsat.com/

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:33 pm

in order to write effectively on blank paper, you sort of need to sketch out the question space format before getting going.
this is a waste of time

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:34 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:this is a waste of time

:lol:

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:35 pm

EEguy5 wrote:I will begin my LSAT studying this fall and want to start purchasing the needed books. Based on the suggestions on this forum, this will consist of PS bibles and or Manhattan guides (along with all of the actual LSAC tests). The problem is that I am moving to Japan for 6 months for work and need to minimize the printed material that I bring. My questions:

Any advice you can sure will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

1. yes
2. probably not, you want to emulate test conditions as much as possible.
3. no
4. there is plenty of other options. If you want to drill PS also sells books containing every LR, LG, and RC questions. Much better deal in my opinion.
5. buy the printed copies of the books, you really only need 3: LRB, LGB, and Manhattan RC (which is only like 150 pgs). You can buy pdf PT's off lsat blog and print those out in japan as needed.

Malapropism

Postby Malapropism » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:42 pm

For what it's worth, while I was in France, I took PTs on my phone (using an app) and just always kept a small notebook with me for sketching out necessary games, and found this useful.

If you're insistant on not bringing books, this might be an effective way.

flippacious

Postby flippacious » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:39 pm

The only part of the Powerscore books I ever write on are the question pages. You could always buy the electronic version and just print a few copies of the question pages. I wouldn't recommend doing full preptests from an unprinted source, but you could buy preptests in PDF format and print them when you get to Japan (assuming you can/you're only cutting back on printed material for travel reasons).

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Echoing the above posters, perfectly fine to do the books electronically w/ some scratch paper for games/answer questions (sketching out a,b, c, d, e; doesn't take that much time). PTs should be at least printed, doing an entire PT electronically wouldn't mimic the real deal very much and may mess with your timing by a few minutes.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Malapropism wrote:For what it's worth, while I was in France, I took PTs on my phone (using an app) and just always kept a small notebook with me for sketching out necessary games, and found this useful.

Oooh you were in FRANCE??!

cc.celina

Postby cc.celina » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:36 pm

JohnV wrote:Echoing the above posters, perfectly fine to do the books electronically w/ some scratch paper for games/answer questions (sketching out a,b, c, d, e; doesn't take that much time). PTs should be at least printed, doing an entire PT electronically wouldn't mimic the real deal very much and may mess with your timing by a few minutes.

I agree. PTs should be on paper. Everything else is inconvenient but doable in an e-book.

bruss

Postby bruss » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:13 pm

Logic games need to be on paper always. In the beginning you can do LR in pdf format but eventually you will need to move to paper.

BallHog

Postby BallHog » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:27 pm

can't you just buy the PDF/Kindle, then print when needed in Japan?

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:45 pm

Last edited by 03152016 on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

BallHog

Postby BallHog » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:07 am

Max324 wrote:Did about a third of my prep on my Kindle; used it for reading the Manhattan guides and drilling all three sections. Used a small notebook for any work I needed to do on paper. Super convenient, would definitely recommend it to anyone.

It works as long as you know there is limited room on the LSAT to write stuff down.

Malapropism

Postby Malapropism » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:51 am

laxbrah420 wrote:
Malapropism wrote:For what it's worth, while I was in France, I took PTs on my phone (using an app) and just always kept a small notebook with me for sketching out necessary games, and found this useful.

Oooh you were in FRANCE??!

Study abroad. I had just finished the Bibles before leaving, we weren't allowed to print anything that wasn't directly related to our coursework, and left the one PT I DID print at home... so I really had no choice but to take what I could get. It was a good start, though I'm much happier being on paper now.

Malakai

Postby Malakai » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 am

Tried using an e-reader for Manhattan RC. Even with a stylus, it's not that efficient IMO. id rather have purchased the paper version (that's just my $0.02 though).

BUT, it might work for LG drilling from Manhattan's PDFs sorted by type, and it could save tons of printed paper.

EEguy5

Postby EEguy5 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Thank you for all the comments.

I think I will at least bring the 10 actual/next/more PT books and the manhattan RC book. I will have some printing abilities at work, but printing a ton of whole tests or a lot of pages from a book would not go over too well.

For the LG/LR bibles I haven't made up my mind yet. Since I still have some time before my trip maybe ill buy the electronic versions first and see how it goes. If I feel like the paper versions would really be significantly better, I guess I will have to figure something out.

bbobby12

Postby bbobby12 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:35 pm

I personally hate pdf format when studying. Hurts my eyes and after a few hrs my head hurts. Not to mention you cant write on it. This is a personal choice on what works best for the individual

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:48 pm

Keep it to paper. No computer screens on gameday

PeanutsNJam

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:44 am

Just get the pdf version and print individual PT's as you do them.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”