Experience with TM Online Course?

e_mac7

Experience with TM Online Course?

Postby e_mac7 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:43 pm

So, since I'm finishing up my last UG class over summer (I graduated in May) I couldn't fit into my schedule a live TM course. I opted for the online one. I read the entire LRB before starting the course and I find it really difficult to understand the way TM explains it. I'm currently doing TM online and LGB at the same time to try to wrap my brain around all this.

Anyone else have trouble with the TM online course? I think live would have been much better. I'm considering just re-reading the LRB and LGB since I've only seen improvement of a couple points since I started mid-june and I put in over 4 hours a day in studying LSAT except for this past week when I took two days off. I'm not even sure I should take the LSAT in October since I'm making such slow progress.

I know the later you apply the less chances you have of getting in, but I need the highest LSAT I can get since I have a couple classes in UG that will really drag down my LSAC GPA.

Thoughts? :?: Thank you!

HuskyHopeful1

Re: Experience with TM Online Course?

Postby HuskyHopeful1 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57 pm

Having taken the TM live course as well as having read both LR and LG bibles I figure I could lend some insight.

I don't know about yourself, but after reading the LGB and practicing on a few diagnostics after it, games have become my best section. Something about that book and me just clicked, however I wouldn't recommend trying to mesh TM and PS technique when it comes to games. PS' in my opinion is much easier to understand and was really all I needed to master games since their approach I believe is much more comprehendable.

In terms of taking the LSAT in October, what are you testing at now and what are you shooting for in three months? That should be the real indicator of whether or not you'll be ready.

e_mac7

Postby e_mac7 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:56 pm

HuskyHopeful1 wrote:Having taken the TM live course as well as having read both LR and LG bibles I figure I could lend some insight.

I don't know about yourself, but after reading the LGB and practicing on a few diagnostics after it, games have become my best section. Something about that book and me just clicked, however I wouldn't recommend trying to mesh TM and PS technique when it comes to games. PS' in my opinion is much easier to understand and was really all I needed to master games since their approach I believe is much more comprehendable.

In terms of taking the LSAT in October, what are you testing at now and what are you shooting for in three months? That should be the real indicator of whether or not you'll be ready.

Thanks! Yea when I went through PS the way they talked about the concepts made a lot of sense to me and while TM has helped me learn diagramming for LR, I don't feel like it's very good at explaining much else.

I'm at about a 143 right now, which is not great..I know. But I think I need a whole lot of more practice of applying the concepts in PS Bibles. I've been going over why I got the ones I did wrong. I'm shooting for 160+ for the local school I want to get into. I live in Southern CA, but I'm not shooting for Tier 1 just the regional ones around here and a 160 would get me in but sometimes progress feels so slow...

HuskyHopeful1

Postby HuskyHopeful1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Was 143 your initial diagnostic or an actual previous score?

Believe me I know how the slow progress feels. I studied on my own for about six months before I took the full-length TM course and still wasn't prepared by the time I took the June LSAT. Didn't do nearly well enough and am now having to retake it in October. The one thing to keep in mind is out of all graduate school entrance exams the LSAT is the most learnable one, all it takes is time, and if you're planning on taking it in October then three months is plenty of time to achieve your 160+.

Not sure how their online course works, but the most useful thing I was able to take away from the TM course was all the extra problems/practice sections/and diagnostics. I believe they said that if you did all the homework you will have done every single problem that has ever appeared on the test since '92. Which is amazing for drilling the concepts and especially problems you are having particular trouble with, hopefully the online course gives you just as much homework.

Going over problems you've gotten wrong and why you got them wrong is probably the best way of improving your understanding. I've read numerous forums from top-scorers and that seems to be the one approach preached by all of them so kudos for picking up on that technique.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”