Completely lost

Do you recommend taking a course? If so, which?

No. Don't.
34%
Kaplan
3%
PowerScore
6%
TestMasters
26%
Princeton Review
No votes
Other
31%

Total votes: 35

Arky22

Completely lost

Postby Arky22 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm a 'gonna-be' Junior and 99% sure law school is the route I'm going to take, but unfortunately I know no one who is in law school or has been in several decades. Thus: I'm lost. I don't know what to start studying or when to do so.

I've read that many people like the PowerScore books, so I was just planning on buying as many as I could, along with the "10 Actual LSAT Tests." I'm very involved at school, so tend to be pretty busy, so I know it might be premature to start studying, I just didn't want to be late and then have no time. So, any recommendations on WHAT to study and WHEN?

I appreciate it! And sorry for my lack of knowledge about pretty much anything to do with the LSAT - complete LSAT virgin, I know :)

Nova

Re: Completely lost

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Manhattan and PowerScore are good for self study.

For Prep courses, Manhattan, Powerscore, and Blueprint are all good. Taking a course is not necessary though. I voted No. Dont.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=396

Postby 2014 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:38 pm

Read up on the guides here first and foremost.

I took a Knewton class which has a guarantee 5 point increase from your diagnostic and I was happy with the teachers and resources they had so it is another to look into.

I would encourage you to do the first time without a class though. Bust your ass using TLS guides and save yourself the money. If you need to retake and feel like you would benefit from structure do a class then.

Oscar85

Postby Oscar85 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Try it out on your own first. See how well you do. Buy the powerscore bibles + manhattan prep books and a bunch of prep tests (maybe 40-50) and see how you do with one of those...

thenumberfour

Postby thenumberfour » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:02 pm

Hey, welcome to the mystifying law school application process.

I agree with the other posters here that you should definitely try self-study first. Powerscore bibles, Superprep, and Master the LSAT I find are really good starting points before going into Preptests.

If you feel like you need a little extra help and you have a really busy schedule, consider Velocity. It's pretty affordable and an online course might be more adaptable to your schedule. I'm currently using it and enjoying it. Dave is very engaging, which is good for someone with chronic attention issues like me. :p

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:05 pm

Start with this (or lsatblog.blogspot.com): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

See what works for you and change to fit what you need.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:45 pm

And if you do decide to go with a course, call up the company and ask to sit in on a trial class before enrolling. Getting first-hand experience with the material and the instructor from whom you'll be learning is worth more than a dozen online reviews/recommendations. What works for you is different than what works for others.

pretzel

Postby pretzel » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:53 pm

One thing to keep in mind - don't study for the LSAT to the detriment of your gpa. Use the next two years to make sure you boost your gpa as high as possible.

Remember, you can take the LSAT again after you graduate, but once you've graduated your gpa is set in stone.

That's advice I, and I'm sure others, wish they'd gotten earlier in their undergraduate careers...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”